Webster Bicycle
87F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 56m 44s
Overall Rank = 5/204
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:15am went down stairs grabbed some granola and a banana. Stuffed it down while checking out wind and weather conditions. Then I ate some more granola after I had got everything ready. Loaded up and then took off.
Event warmup:

1 mile run at about 7:45 pace.
Run
  • 12m 23s
  • 2.17 miles
  • 05m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

They do this race twice a year they should get the turn around down already. It makes it difficult to compare results from race to race. I took a educated guess on the distance but it could still be short of the actually distance. I don't want to brag about a time I didn't do..

I went out hard on the first 2mile because,
A. I may suprise my self and be in better shape and not blow up on the 2nd run.
B. There were quite a few good cyclists behind me that I wanted to put time in.

So we went out hard and I got on a rival of mine, Aaron heels and stayed there till the turn around. He is a bit faster runner then me, he said he wasn't running well.. but he lied. He and another guy ended up putting 15 seconds into me. Ahead of them was Dean King. Everything going good at this point of the race. :)
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I wanted to go out hard and give it to the not so strong runners. Later I heard quite a few say that everyone went out too quick in first run. So it sounded like it worked, atleast to some extent.
Transition 1
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

Well I guess it's part of the bike leg since you cross the mat before your jump on. But I had a bad time of getting clipped in. Now I'll normally slip once or even twice. This time though I slipped atleast 5 times. It was a bit weird but my calf and right shin were a bit tight. Most likely from not running too many hard runs and not running in my flats. So it took me a few tries to get it clipped in.

Not huge but it did cost me a sub 30min bike split. Before that, everything was fine.

Just clip in already!
Bike
  • 30m
  • 11.5 miles
  • 23.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Not sure why this course always seems a bit slow. I think it may be the type of surface on the road. I noticed on one spot I was going 27.3mph then the road surface changed and I was going 25.7mph. The slower one covers about 80% of the course. That may be why I've never had great splits here. Though it is a smooth road, so it can't be that slow.

Still I took off close to if not just a bit more than a minute(never had my bike split from the last race) off any other bike slpit I've done on this course. So that bolds well for my cycling. :)

At first I was riding to try and catch 2 of the guys ahead of me(I knew I wasn't going to catch Dean King who easly won). I caught one fairly quickly and was catching the other when 2 guys caught me. Both are well known and I had been waiting for them to catch me and was happy to let them go. One Minute later I caught my target, who is a good rival of mine, when Jason blew by me at mach1. At this point the two who passed me just a few mins earlier weren't pulling away much at all, which was making me happy. Then Jason blew by them at mach 1 and they had a fit and went after him. So.. They slowly vanished lol.

Me and the other guy stayed together till the end of the bike in no mans land.

Nothing I rode well. I wish I could of gapped Aaron because I know he is a better runner than me. But he had improved just as much as I had on the bike. We both went 1min faster over our bike splits earlier this year.

Actually we had the exact same race as last time. He out splits me by 20-30s on the first run I pull that back on the bike, lead him by 5 seconds on the bike into t2. Then he puts 20-25 seconds into me on the second run. It was the exact same thing all over.
Transition 2
  • 00m 25s
Comments:

About as perfect as you can get. My time was 1-2 seconds slower than guys who didn't even swap shoes.

Nothing.
Run
  • 13m 16s
  • 2.17 miles
  • 06m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I could tell my run was lacking here. Mainly because I came off the bike feeling great, and that usually leads to a super fast run. This time I just slowly faded. I couldn't keep up with Aaron anymore by the turn around and let him go. Then I made the fatal mistake of looking back. I saw nothing behind me so I got comfortable and 'sat up' on the pace and cruised it in. When you're already hurting it's hard to make your self hurt even more for no better placing. I picked it up during the last 400m, my mom and sister were there so I had to atleast look good for them!

Train more during june and don't get injured feet.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing. I talked to my fellow racers. Then I tried to figure out who was more worn out me or my dog. I'm not sure what kind of mess my dog got into while I was running, but she was worn out. lol

I also felt sick in my stomach for the first time after a race. I was standing around talking and I started to feel like I was going to barf any moment if I didn't sit down. May of been due to taking in too much on the bike.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of solid training since Captex. But I will say I was pleased with my performance at this time and it was a bit better than expected.

Last updated: 2008-07-21 12:00 AM
Running
00:12:23 | 02.17 miles | 05m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 4/204
Performance: Good
Should be exactly 2 miles, but they get the turn around wrong every other one. Not a big deal but oh well. Could be just a tad bit off on my distance, I don't want to over estimate it and be wrong. I know it's between 4.3-4.4 miles total for the race.
Course: Out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:39
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Bad
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:30:00 | 11.5 miles | 23.00 mile/hr
Overall: 5/204
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 1 full loop then a 2nd half loop on a flat close to Galveston loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:25
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:13:16 | 02.17 miles | 06m 07s  min/mile
Overall: 5/204
Performance: Below average
Same run as the first.
Course: Same.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-07-21 2:03 PM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Subject: Webster Duathlon #2

2008-07-21 8:45 PM
in reply to: #1546274

Master
Houston
Subject: RE: Webster Duathlon #2

Nice job.  I would like to come out and see this race one of these times, I live in the area. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Webster Duathlon #2 Rss Feed