General Discussion Race Reports! » Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Racine, Wisconsin
United States
HFP Racing
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 40m 42s
Overall Rank = 797/1700
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 56/76
Pre-race routine:

Tried something just a tad different this morning. Instead of the normal 4 eggs (3 egg whites, 1 whole egg) broken into two sandwhiches I went with

bowl of Maple & Brown Sugar Oatmel
Bagel with PB
1 Banana
Lots of water
Splash of Coffee

All things I have had before training days so I knew they were safe. I thought having a little less in the belly might help with some of the gas (burps) I have been having on some training rides. I was worried one of those burps might not turn out so well.
Event warmup:

Well, in the past I have always used the swim as my warm-up but last week at Pewaukee I actually ran about a mile, stretched and had a great race, felt real good, so the plan was to do something similar. Oh, how that did not happen.

So I arrived at transition about 5:20 (later than normal, but plenty of time to spare) except my bike wasn't there! I was pretty calm at first, but it was all I could do not to go crazy. I don't know what happened but after searching and then the announcer making an announcement it miraculously showed up about 6:25.

At this point I assume I have to get ready lickity split and start the walk to the start because I needed to get into the frigid water BEFORE the actual race started. Well, I get into my wetsuit and no sooner am I in it does the announcer say it is delayed. At that point, I could have run, but I opted to just stay in the wetsuit and not worry about it.

Headed down to the start about 7:05 hopped in the water did about 100 (thought my arms were going to turn into ice cubes) then stood around until 8:10 when my wave finally went off.

Needless to say the start wasn't perfect, but I actually was feeling confident at that point that I could have a good race.
Swim
  • 29m 7s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

Great swim. I mean this was just awesome. At times I felt like I was slow, but overall felt pretty good. It was 100-200 shorter, but I wasn't going nearly as hard as I normally do (trying to keep the heart rate down) so I was happy.

I will say though, that I must have swallowed at least a gallon of lake michigan water. I swallowed so much I had to burp in the middle of the swim. That was frightening, wasn't sure what was going to happen, but it turned out to be ok.
What would you do differently?:

Really can't complain too much, but I think I should try pushing my swim a little bit. I am a decent swimmer and I just need to get out front and push it a bit. Sighting was not that good.
Transition 1
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

I came out of the water a bit disoriented. This has never happened before, but as I was running up the beach, my eyes were not focused, I almost felt a bit drunk. It was weird, but I made it.

I could not get the wetsuit off and my arms were too cold to really grip the wetsuit, so I thought this took FOREVER, but apparently it didn't. After that, got the shoes on no problem and ran with the bike, and got out.

Not much, I think if the water wasn't that cold, I would have had this down to about 1:40. I know that is not great, but it is good enough for now.
Bike
  • 2h 45m 6s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.35 mile/hr
Comments:

Where to start. I think it was obviously a good ride, seeing as this is the first time in the history of riding for me that I have been able to keep a pace about 19.5. So I was really happy about that.

However, throughout almost the entire bike I thought I was going to lose my lunch. I think all that Lake Michigan water I drank caught up to me and I had to slow down to the point of nearly stopping at least 3 times. It was just horrible. Each time I tried to drink gatorade, water, gu, whatever, it would rear its ugly head. I kept trying to not eat, but then I knew I would pay for it on the run. I ended up getting two gu and a quarter of a Peanut Butter Sandwhich in with 2 1/2 bottles of gatorade.

Other than that I was able to keep the aero position for most of the ride and even passed a couple of people. Seeing as I was 676 on the bike and 284 on the swim, the bike is somewhat depressing, but I know I am a strong swimmer and not as strong a biker, so I don't get too worried about it. I was thrilled with the pace I did keep.

NOTE: For some reason, I really feel like the PB Sandwhich gives me great energy. I don't know why, but typically I feel great when I eat those. Weird.

Keep on training so that I can ride even faster. I think to be competitive for a sub 5:00 I need to keep the pace about 22 to 23 MPH. Other than that, for this race, I did fine. If this was on a hilly course I am guessing I would have a similar time. I passed a lot of bikers going up hills only to get passed on the way down or in the flat. So my climbing has clearly improved.
Transition 2
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

This was terrible. There is no excuse for taking 1:48 in T2. I had my stuff laid out and was ready to roll, oh but wait I had to UNTIE my shoes first! Talk about not being prepared. I will be investing in the laces that are slip on or whatever.

Also, getting the socks on took a bit longer than I wanted, but not terrible.

Have my shoes untied and ready to be put on before I get into T2
Run
  • 2h 22m 25s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I had no legs. My first 4 miles were great, all about 9:09 which I was fine with, but then it started. My legs began to cramp and I pushed out the next two miles but barely. From there on out the second loop was all about walking the aid stations and then whenever else needed, but trying to keep the running going.

The heat played a factor, but not an excuse.

I actually found when I pushed my run pace a little bit it was easier to run than when I kept it slow, wish I would have figured that out sooner rather than at mile 10. I think it might have helped me keep a better pace throughout. I thought slow and steady would do it, but I would have been better off burning out the legs and then just finding it in me at the end.

A couple of things I would do differently

1. More brick workouts
2. More runs where I have to practice nutrition
3. More runs keeping a faster pace and forcing myself to run when my legs are tired.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a little bit. Stretched out the back a little and then headed out to the bar, had a beer and a juicy hamburger.

Had an entire cheering section with me, so we all went to eat together.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need more brick workouts and nutrition practice so I don't have those crappy runs.

I also think I need to do more nutrition practice. I am clearly either not taking in enough calories or something, but my cardio feels fine, it is my legs that feel like dead weight.

Event comments:

I thought this race was done very well. It had a great finish line, great fans, great volunteers, nice venue. It was just a nice race overall. I really liked it.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:07 | 2112 yards | 01m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/76
Overall: 284/1700
Performance: Good
Suit: Pro Motion Sleeveless Wetsuit
Course: Point to Point
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 56F / 13C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:16
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
02:45:06 | 56 miles | 20.35 mile/hr
Overall: 676/1700
Wind: Some
Course: Pretty flat with some rolling hills. I did not feel like there was a lot of wind, but there was some.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:48
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
02:22:25 | 13.1 miles | 10m 52s  min/mile
Overall: 1023/1700
Performance: Bad
Course: A couple of hills, but mostly just a flat out and back done twice.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-21 2:26 PM

User image

Regular
Petaluma, CA
Subject: Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon

2008-07-21 2:37 PM
in reply to: #1546364

User image

Expert
Chicago
Subject: RE: Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon
I'm so glad you were able to find your bike! Did you ever figure out where it had been hiding?

Strange.

Great meeting you yesterday and way to get it done!
2008-07-21 2:52 PM

User image

Master
Elm Grove

Nice race dude.  I rode on Saturday and the humidity was brutal, so congrats on getting through that.

2008-07-21 3:36 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

That was YOUR bike that was M.I.A?  I heard the announcement and was wondering WTH?

Great job yesterday!  If you burped once in the water, not bad.  I'd be worried if you started to recite the whole alphabet!

2008-07-21 4:13 PM
in reply to: #1546610

User image

Master
Living in the past
1stTimeTri - 2008-07-21 3:36 PM

That was YOUR bike that was M.I.A?  I heard the announcement and was wondering WTH?

So that was YOU! I heard some race volunteers mumbling about having to find some dude's bike. Glad you were able to find it. I'm sure if that happened to me, I would have freaked out and it would have negatively affected my whole day.

You persevered through some tough spots. Congratulations.

2008-07-22 6:18 AM

User image

Regular
Petaluma, CA
Not going to lie, it was all I could do to stay calm. I mean, I knew my bike was somewhere, but was kinda worried they might not find it until the race was over. Now that would not have been good

2008-07-22 9:42 AM

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI
Hey - I don't think I remember getting to meet you but great race!  So< I guess I don't really understand why your bike was actually missing?  I'm glad to hear it worked out OK though!  Great job and enjoy your recovery!
2008-07-22 11:08 AM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
Great job on the race.  You are like a phantom, always near by but we never get to meet.  Enjoy the pride for what you have accomplished.
2008-07-22 12:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI
Great job!! Wow-- that swim in a sleeveless??? Now THAT takes some guts -- burping or not... nicely done.
2008-07-22 12:31 PM
in reply to: #1548916

User image

Regular
Petaluma, CA
Joe Runner - 2008-07-22 11:08 AM

Great job on the race. You are like a phantom, always near by but we never get to meet. Enjoy the pride for what you have accomplished.

Haha. My wife would argue I am hard to miss! Next race, I am going to wear a sign or something that says who I am and who I am looking for!
2008-07-22 12:53 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Great race, man! I'm glad they found your bike or that would have really added some time to your split. I had no idea that I had met you that day at Mitchell Park until I saw you again yesterday-- what a coincidence! Again, great job!

Edited by scoobysdad 2008-07-22 12:54 PM

2008-07-22 6:23 PM

User image

Champion
Racine, WI
GREAT JOB!!!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed