5430 Sports Corp.
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 23m 2s
Overall Rank = 77/1200
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 17/153
Pre-race routine:

got up at 3:15 and loaded my bike and my wifes. Ate a waffle with peanut butter and drank a protein shake and a boost drink. Ate a cliff bar on the way up. Got there early and set up Transition. Right on an end rack. My wife got an end rack too, then they added a rack next to hers a fucked oup her spot. She was pissed.
Event warmup:

15 minute bike with Dime, Thomas and some other guy, and Michele. Did some pick ups. Then ran for about 10 minutes with pick ups and peed for the last time.
Swam for about 10 minutes.
Swim
  • 25m 48s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Almost 3 full minutes faster than 2 years ago. I don't count last year because I was doing it as a training race and was going very slow. So very happy with that after all the time I have spent in the pool! Good start, I was near the front and stayed there pretty much. Sun was a nusiance because it was right in your eyes. We started 15 minutes late due to not getting everyone in transition. I was able to draft pretty well today. Had a guy in front of me almost the whole first 1/2 of the swim. Not much kicking and punching today so that was nice. Just kept my head donw and swam. Sighted pretty well. Stayed just right of the bouy line. Caught the wave before and had to get around a bunch of people. Kicked hard at the end to get some blood in the legs. Stood up and read 24:35! Not bad for me. Saw my dad and brother on the beach and waved Hi to them. Onto T1.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

7th fastest in the agegroup. Not bad. Had to put on the garmin. Then as I was running with my bike I dropped it. Shit. First race and I drop the new bike. No scratches because it hit my shoe on the bike. Picked it up and ran like hell. Got up to speed quickly and put the feet in the shoes.

Not drop my new bike. ANd screw the garmin!
Bike
  • 1h 11m 11s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 22.00 mile/hr
Comments:

So the plan was to take it out easy up to oldstage. Then hit it hard at mile 15!
Started easy and passed lots of people. Passed Fliegleman at the entrance. I knew he was having a bad day. Kept it easy and was passed be 2 people on 36 in my agegroup. Picked it up a bit but not much. Had a hell of a time on olde stage. It flet hard and I was slow. Got passed by Andrew Holten and knew then that I was slow today. He is never that close to me. I passed him again on the way up and he passed me back at the top. Cruised down olde stage and caught up to Thomas. Played tag with him a while then let it fly and dropped him. Finally caught Andrew going up 36 again and never saw him on the bike again. Had 2 more guys pass me in the agegroup. Not a good ride. That never happens. Got to mile 15 and tried to hammer. Had a good ride on the rollers then going back up the diagonal I had nothing so I jsut rode as hard as I could. Caght a guy right in T2 that I could not catch on the diagonal. Got ready for a quick T2. Legs were not good at this point! 2 years ago I was 1:08:28. That was my best ride on this course.

Ride a bikt harder from the start and I neeed more biking for sure. Longer rides have not been there yet.
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

1st in the aggroup by 8 seconds! Smoking fast today!

Nada!
Run
  • 44m 31s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Just plain bad! Worst 10k Tri run in my carrer. Even slower than at nationals last year. Strted out feeling ok. Ran the hill out of T2 pretty easy. Passed 2 guys in my agegroup right away. Saw Mary from F4 and she said Brad coopper was only 2 minutes ahead. Not bad. After mile 1 my pace slowed way down every mile. mile 1 was like 6:38, mile 2 6:50, mile 37:10, mile 4 7:26, mile 5 was off my watch said8:40, and mile 6 was 6:25. SO that is wrong. Richard came up on me at mile 2 and cruised on by. I knew my run was very bad at this point. Had 4 to5 more guys pass me pretty soon after. I walked a good part of the mile 3 aid station and just got running again. Felt like walking the rest of the way. But just kept moving. At mile 5.5 Adrew Holten passed me and he was barely moving. I was not having a good day. Finished and felt liek shit

Not sure. I do know that my swimming is getting better. I need to run and bike more miles. I feel my endurance is down. I was dead at mil 20 on the bike. Also, no taper, and training for IM. SO I can live with it for now. I can't be fast all the time in my expectations. Just dissapointing.
Post race
Warm down:

Beer, burritos and friends. I really felt bad. Went to the DR today and I have a sinus infection as well. I have been fighting it since I got back from Michigan.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Endurance.

Event comments:

Very disappointing race this year put on by 5430 sports. The Tz area was a mess. Not set up on time and adding racks to the ends? All drinks on bike aid stations were hot! Water on one side and gatorade on the other on the run? I could not get gatorade on the last 2 miles of the run due to volunteers looking the other way. Not the volunteers fault. Nice to see my coaches wife Melanie handing out cold towels and water at the end. I will wear some D3 stuff soon Melanie.
Chalk this one up as experience I guess! IM is way more important right now than an OLY! Almost 3 minutes slower than my PR on this course 2 years ago.

Last updated: 2008-02-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:48 | 1640 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 30/153
Overall: 268/1200
Performance: Good
Suit: QR FUll
Course: Kind of a rectangle that went around the beach to the other side. Right into the sun off the start.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:54
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:11:11 | 26.1 miles | 22.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/153
Overall: 76/1200
Performance: Below average
AVHR 155 Max164
Wind: None
Course: Big loop and up old stage road which is 15% grade for about a mile.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:44:31 | 06.21 miles | 07m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/153
Overall: 111/1200
Performance: Bad
AVHR 159! Max 168! Whoa that is high!
Course: Out and back mostly on dirt trails. Pretty flat with only a couple hills!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-21 3:22 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: Boulder Peak Triathlon

2008-07-21 3:34 PM
in reply to: #1546546

User image

Expert
Michiana
Subject: RE: Boulder Peak Triathlon
Solid race Mark.  They can't all be PR's.  Nice transition mojo going on!!!
2008-07-21 4:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
I think you did fabulous, but I'm sorry it didn't turn out the way you wanted. Like you said, chalk it up to experience. The heat was ridiculous, so I think a lot of people were feeling off on the run. Good luck with the rest of your training!
2008-07-21 4:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
In the words of Mark Dillard, "You can't PR everytime." But then again you did have some PRs here so maybe you can't have a blazing 10k everytime, especially when it's hot as f__k. But great race and you have bigger fish to fry. Where abouts in Michigan were you at?
2008-07-21 5:51 PM

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
I'm sure that sinus infection hurt your performance. I dealt with them for years back in Texas and you just can't perform well fighting off an infection. Having said that, I only wish I could run a 44 min 10k in that heat...and be disappointed.
2008-07-21 9:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
If every race was a new PR, eventually it would become easy to be complacent.  Setbacks here and there fuel the drive to keep working on improving.  Still, overall a darn good job all considered - especially in that heat!  Infections take a fair amount of energy to fight off, even if we don't realize it at the time.

2008-07-21 11:39 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Good to see the 45,000+ yards you put in in the pool last month are paying off already. Nice work on a solid swim. As for the bike, I wouldn't have gone fast for you either if you dumped me on my head!
2008-07-22 9:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver
Great race Mark! You are an amazing athlete! Your focus is on IM and you WILL rock that race! There were good things in this race! PR on the swim and super fast transitions! You helped me a lot last year and I appreciate it. Take this race and use it for fuel for the next one! Keep up the good work and like you told me, "Have fun, the rest will take care of itself!" 
2008-07-22 9:00 PM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
You suck!

LOL! Dude, you are a bad a$$ even on your bad days!

Thanks for helping me become a better triathlete, bro. I owe you, big time!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Boulder Peak Triathlon Rss Feed