Korff Enterprises
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 56m 26s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 168/411
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 3:15 and walked to the hotel to get the shuttle to transition. Forgot to grab a bagel the previous night, so I had two clif bars for breakfast. Set up transition, and waited... and waited...
Event warmup:

Just walked around and watched the early waves go in. Transition closed at 5:45, so I had a while before I went off at 7:27.
Swim
  • 29m 5s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

Got in, grabbed the rope and hung on. Horn goes off and BAM, the dude in front of me donkey kicks me, one foot in the gut and the other in my junk. I guess he thought I was the barge to push off of. Ass.

Rest of swim went great. It was dirty, but no jellies for me. Zig-zagged a bit, but stayed in clean water for the most part so I wouldn't get kicked. Nice and relaxed with full strokes and good breathing.

Current wasn't as strong as earlier waves and reversed direction within an hour of swim finish. Probably not much of a benefit, as my swim time wasn't much faster than OWS or a pool.
What would you do differently?:

Not put myself in a postion for some douche to use me as propulsion. Other than that, I felt great coming out of the water. None of the usual dizziness and was ready for the next two events.
Transition 1
  • 05m 52s
Comments:

Includes 400 yard run from swim exit to transition, which I jogged. I didn't swim with my tri top, which was a mistake as it took a good 30-40 seconds to put on and really pissed me off. Other than like that, it was clockwork. My head was clear and I was cognizant of everything I was doing, unlike sometimes previously when I was dizzy in T1.

Wear my tri-top under the wetsuit.
Bike
  • 1h 22m 48s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.01 mile/hr
Comments:

Good bike for me. 22+ on the flats and did a lot of passing on the uphills. I was happiest with the hill performance, as the only ones passing me were guys that looked like they spend a lot of time (and $) cycling. I need to work on keeping speed from a downhill as the grade goes back up.

Maxed at 37.2!

Emptied my aerodrink and took about 8-10 ounces of gatorade. Never felt thirsty or close to bonking. One Hammer gel at the turn around.

More TITS. More hill work.

Get better at drinking from a bottle cage while moving at a good clip.
Transition 2
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

Steep downhill in to transition on grass. Thought better of a flying dismount, so I unclipped and stopped. Didn't rush things. Could have been faster, but whatever.
Run
  • 56m 58s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Brutal. It was Africa Hot and crazy humid, which I am not used to. Cramping started within a half mile, which I think was gas from the Clif Bar breakfast, and didn't go away until an hour or two after the race. Walked a few times for 30 seconds when my heart rate went over 200. Got lightheaded and skin chills when that happened. Took in water at the aid stations and dumped a cup over my head, as well.

Got a yellow jacket INSIDE my shirt right after I got in the park. It stung me once and I thought it was my zipper, so I zipped up. After two more stings, I looked in and saw the little sucker. Let him out and never broke stride. No issues from the stings.

I knew I would be close to my goal time of 3 hours, so I pushed as hard as I could. I was completely spent at the end. HR was down to 120 after about 4-5 minutes and I felt great.

Not much. For the rest of this year, I will not have to run in heat like that, so I won't. Normal training runs are at dawn when it is cooler.

Clif bars before the race are definitely OUT. Cramping issues were not from dehydration, as I hit the head within 20 minutes of finishing, and the cramping was sustained until later in the day when the gas made its way south and out.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with the wife, who surprised me about a half mile before the finish. Grabbed my stuff, walked around a bit, and walked the mile and a half back to transition to pick up the bike. Had a burger for lunch at the Boat Basin and craved a Guinness bad. No luck with that until later.

After showering back at the hotel, we went out walking around the city and caught dinner and a show (Rent). Tired, but I'm not sore at all a day later, probably from the walking.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Again, breakfast.

Event comments:

Really good race for me, especially considering the difficulties on the run. It felt like a real accomplishment to set my mind on this and do it. It felt even better when I got my time and knew for sure I hit my time goal.

Not bad to go from couch to 41st percentile in my AG in the first season. A little more work (actually a LOT) and I'd like to be in the top 25%.

I had a good time, but I won't be doing it again. I'm very happy I was able to do this in my first season so close to home, but for the same expense, I will now travel out of state and do different races. Philadelphia 2009!

Last updated: 2008-05-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:05 | 1500 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/411
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vengeance full
Course: Point to point
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:52
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:22:48 | 24.85 miles | 18.01 mile/hr
Performance: Good
HIGH heart rate. Averaged about 175, with some spikes up to 185.
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back. Hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 73
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:47
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:56:58 | 06.21 miles | 09m 10s  min/mile
Performance:
Holy HR. Avg 191, spikes to 201.
Course: Hilly loop through Central Park.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-07-21 3:31 PM

User image

Expert
Long Island, NY
Subject: Nautica New York City Triathlon

2008-07-24 8:18 AM
in reply to: #1546596

User image

Subject: RE: Nautica New York City Triathlon

Charlie, way to hammer your first Olympic Tri!  And a big one -- Nautica NYC Tri is not exactly your average local tri race! 

Way to set a goal, stay within yourself, and push hard at the end to meet your goal!  Smart making a day in NYC out of it and taking the wife to a play.  Aside from a little humidity and a couple of yellowjacket stings, it sounds like you had the perfect race and perfect day. 

Now stop patting yourself on the back and get back to training for you first HIM at Montauk this October!  

2008-07-24 2:32 PM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
I think we cleared the jellies out in the earlier waves But sorry to hear you got stung by a yellow jacket! What are the odds of that? Great race, congrats.
2008-07-24 2:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA

Hey Charlie:

Congrats on a great race! -a yellow jacket -jeez, I really would have lost it, I thought the jellies were bad enough. Hey, maybe I'll see you in Montauk in October. Happy HIM training

2008-07-24 4:13 PM

Expert
Fort Bragg
Great job. Interesting read. I would have been lost at getting the two kicks at the beginning of the swim.
2008-07-25 6:53 AM

User image

Elite
Awesome job out there. I am glad that I am not the only person that craves a beer after a race or hard workout. No idea what it is, but my body just wants a beer. Next year you will easily be own in the 25th percentile. Yellow jacket sting better or worse than jellyfish if you had to chose one?

2008-07-25 7:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Gold member
Africa hot!! Great race report and description, that sums it up perfectly. Nice job on the race too, bee stings, hills, etc.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nautica New York City Triathlon Rss Feed