100F / 38C
Overcast
Total Time = 8h 47m
Overall Rank = 39/199
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 8/28
Pre-race routine:

Showed up at the race site.
NOTE: NO RACE TIME until they are posted. No clock, all done by hand. I forgot to stop my HR monitor, so don't know.
Event warmup:

Just did some stretching with the wife of a close friend who was doing the Half Marathon. Ate some power bar and fizz fluids before the race.
Run
  • 32m 27s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

No rank or times until posted. This was my first run ever done off road, and definitively my first run in the night of the day. This was so cool :), that I actually plan on finding more races in the night. So cool:) :). All I had was my light on my visor, and the flasher on my chest. Aid stations were a little scares, around 1.6 miles for us. on the 5K, all we had was one on the turn around further up on the railroad track. Definitively bring your own fluids on the race course, could of used it. Also, did not have my ipod since the charge was completely dead. :( I'm very happy with this run overall, but not on time. I did trip about 4 times on the trail, so need more practice offroad running. Also pucked on the run due to too big of a dinner too short before race. But overall, extremely happy and had a blast. OH YEAH!! The tunnels that we ran through had bats sitting on the ceiling and on the side of the long tunnels. Was pretty cool to see those shinny eyes reflect from our headlights, and you could hear them move on the walls. Pretty spooky, but I thought it was supper cool. You, mother nature, and the night. BOOOOOOO!!! :)
What would you do differently?:

Run more often at night to train and also not eat a medium dinner 2 hours before the race. also make sure to check charge on iPod since is was dead, and not forget the water bottles for my fuel belt at home. Can't use them if you don't have them.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around, and talked to a few friends that were there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not running enought, and never having ran off road and even more running the the pitch black night.

Event comments:

Things were very low key, about 300 athletes, but really fun to run in the night.

Last updated: 2008-07-21 12:00 AM
Running
00:32:27 | 03.11 miles | 10m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/28
Overall: 39/199
Performance: Average
Course: Course was done at night. Official start time was around 8:45PM after the surrounding was pitch dark. Run was around lake mead where their was no city lights to help us in any way. Very cool trail, and really loved it. The trail was all dirt, gravel, sand, with varying terrain. None was paved as this was all offroad.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-07-21 4:39 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: Sandstorm I - Moonlight Madness

2008-07-22 5:19 PM
in reply to: #1546869

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: RE: Sandstorm I - Moonlight Madness

Hi!  Didn't see anyone earlier signed up from BT for this race.   Posted my comments under my race thread, not sure if they all link together.    Was definately a dark night for trail running.   Looking forward to the 'offical' time postings for the 5k as well.   Not sure how accurate they'll be or if they'll get everyone.  After finishing, I noticed one of the runners after me had his tag blow away from the scorer.   Went over to the bushes and retrieved it but I think she was confused as to where it was coming from.   That's gotta be tough to hand time and record with all the people coming in.  

Todd

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sandstorm I - Moonlight Madness Rss Feed