Setup Events
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 3s
Overall Rank = 90/186
Age Group = F 25-29
Age Group Rank = 8/19
Pre-race routine:

Got up way before my body wanted to, got dressed, ate my bagel, and headed out to the race. Stopped by the restroom, not once, but twice, before the race even started. Yeah, I drank a lot of water that morning, and other business had to be attended to.
Event warmup:

Took the bike out for a short spin to make sure everything was working properly (on me and the bike), and then hopped in the pool for a 100-yard warm-up. I didn't see the point in doing too much, since I didn't start swimming until 45 minutes after the race started. I also ran around in my flip-flops (got my run warm-up in), drank more water, and cheered on the athletes in front of me.
Swim
  • 05m 38s
  • 328 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was one of my best swims in a race, ever. I might finally be getting the hang of it. lol! I decided just before I got in the water that I really wanted to go down the slide and start my swim that way, but alas, the race people wouldn't let me. They're no fun. I tried my best to not start out too fast, to hold back until the last lap or two, just so I wouldn't wear myself out too soon. I just focused on keeping it steady. Low and behold, I managed to pass not one, not two, but three people on the swim! I was well seeded, judged my pace well, and just went with it.

What would you do differently?:

Not a darn thing! Well, maybe swim faster, but that will come with more training. Hopefully.
Transition 1
  • 02m 36s
Comments:

Coming out of the pool, I started the long, rocky run to T1. My parents were along the path to cheer me on, and drop my flip-flops for me. No, I don't run well in flip-flops, but it's better than running on rocks. Kept my feet cleaner, too, which made getting my shoes on a little easier. Headed into the parking lot and got dressed as quickly as I could.

Get my flip-flops on quicker. More practice putting on wet shoes is needed. lol!
Bike
  • 37m 52s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 19.70 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was pretty good. My legs were a little more tired than normal, and I could feel it, but that wasn't unexpected after the last week and moving. I just went along and tried to enjoy the Sunday morning ride in the sun. I passed 8 people, none in my age group, and only 3 passed me, also not in my age group, so it was kind of a lonely ride. I was looking forward to the run and ready to get out there and give it my all. Until about half a mile before the end of the bike when I started feeling really dizzy. The world was spinning, but I wass moving forward, so I stuck with it. Getting off the bike wasn't fun, and the fact that I was dizzy should have been a real indication that something wasn't right. The dizziness didn't fade until some time after I got out on the run course.

Not get dizzy, push harder. Don't move the week before a race so I have fresh(er) legs.
Transition 2
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

Look at that T2 time! That rocks! First in my AG, too, and 5th overall. I rock! Wonder what I could have done if I wasn't dizzy. Might have racked the bike a little faster if I could have judged where the bar was. lol!

Not be dizzy!!
Run
  • 34m 16s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

That run was awful! That was the worst run of my life. I have, unknowingly, done a half marathon with bronchitis, but that pain had nothing on the pain I was in during that run. Once my dizziness wore off, my legs cramped up really badly, enough to make me trip. And I've been eating my bananas, too. From there, my ribs on my right side began to hurt, and they have hurt off and on for days. Probably pulled something lifting boxes this week. In any case, the more I ran, the worse the pain got, and the further it spread, staring with the left side of my ribs, up my chest, and into my shoulders. It felt like I had a 300-pound gorilla on my chest, I couldn't breathe, so I had to stop. I seriously thought I was having a heart attack. At the 1 mile mark, I debated turning around and going for help (an ambulance), but I knew it was a mile back to the race site, a half mile further up the road to the turn around, and I wanted to do it, even if I had to walk the whole thing. So I went on. I would run slowly along until the pain became too great, stop and walk, and the push on again. I debated sitting on the curb and crying, but I knew that would make matters worse. I finally found a run stride that was slow enough for me to keep breathing. And then my right foot began to hurt, moving up into my right ankle, calf, knee, and thigh. My chest was in unbelievable pain, and then indigestion began to flare up (I blame the antibiotics I am still on). As I got closer to the finish line and struggled on, my left thigh began to hurt and down into my knee. By the time I crossed the finish line, I was glad to be done, but miserable with pain.

Not hurt. lol! I don't think I could have done much else, given the circumstances.
Post race
Warm down:

Got water, walked around, tried to figure out why I hurt so bad, popped Advil for my chest, got a soda, and laid down on a bench in the shade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

PAIN!!!!

Event comments:

I'm pretty please with this race, minus the run. If it weren't for that, it would have been a great race!

Last updated: 2008-07-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:38 | 328 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/19
Overall: 40/186
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Pool swim, six laps, up the lane, down the lane, under the ropes, up the lane, down the lane...
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:36
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:52 | 12.43 miles | 19.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/19
Overall: 44/186
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Nice square-ish course, some hills, mostly rolling but a few good ones. The road was pretty good in most places, though a little rougher on a few streets.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:43
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:34:16 | 03.11 miles | 11m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/19
Overall: 142/186
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back course through a neighborhood. Lots of rolling hills and lots of sun.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-21 7:04 PM

User image

Williamsburg
Subject: Three Sports Triathlon

2008-07-21 7:54 PM
in reply to: #1547181

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Three Sports Triathlon
Wow, you really pushed to finish this one.  Great job.  I hope you recover well.
2008-07-23 8:59 AM
in reply to: #1547181

Subject: RE: Three Sports Triathlon
Congrats on your race! We definitely chatted - and I did see you out on the run holding under your rib - cramps suck It was hot out there too - I am really lucky that I wasn't affected; normally the heat is the death of me.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Three Sports Triathlon Rss Feed