Fort Worth, Texas
United States
95F / 35C
Total Time = 2h 54m 22s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Well since I had all day for my "pre-race" routine, I worked in the yard for about 3 hours, cleaned house and did take a nap in the afternoon to try to keep myself awake for the late night run. When I woke up that morning, I was really wishing I hadn't have signed up for the race but somehow I felt compelled to do it.
Event warmup:

Got to the park around 10:30 pm, went down and picked up my chip and then walked the half mile back to the car to close my eyes for a few minutes. I was starting to get very tired and VERY grumpy and was really dreading the race.
Run
  • 2h 54m 22s
  • 15.53 miles
  • 11m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off with Doug, but knew after the first mile when I was at 10:00 that I was going too fast and I needed to slow down. By the end of the first 5k, my time was about 31:00 and I again realized I was going too fast. The second loop slowed down a little and in my mind. I kept thinking that maybe I would just do a 10k and then quit. After the second loop, I was at 1:04 and from then on it went downhill. I met a guy on my third loop and I did about one full loop with him. Russell and I chatted which definitely helped pass the time. He told me about how he used to weigh 318 lbs and then trained for the Houston marathon which he ran in 4:15, I was impressed! Russell was doing a run/walk combo which I thought I would try out.....bad mistake...the more I walked, the more I just wanted to quit. The rest of the run after Russell left me seemed like mental torture. I was beating myself up for about an hour and by the time I finished I was whipped both mentally and physically. I was after 3 am and I was wishing I was in my bed sleeping.
What would you do differently?:

Not do a race when I have such a bad attitude going in, I was definitely PMSing big time and just grumpy.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate a bean and cheese taco, even though I wasn't really hungry, drank lots of water, chatted with KSH for awhile as she was waiting for Johnny to finish. Karen was in high spirits and loved the run, I was grumpy and very disappointed that I was 9 minutes slower than last year! How could it be that all this training and I was getting slower? I guess it just wasn't my day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My attitude, the heat, the time of day, my attitude and well....I guess my attitude!

Event comments:

I thought the race was very well organized, great New Balance singlet for the race shirt, lots of post race food and plenty of volunteers. I think that one more water station would be helpful. Overall it is a great race if you are up for running at that hour.

Last updated: 2008-04-03 12:00 AM
Running
02:54:22 | 15.53 miles | 11m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: A pretty flat gravel trail through Trinity park that was a 5k distance. We did 5 loops.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-07-21 8:36 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: El Scorcho - Dos

2008-07-21 10:10 PM
in reply to: #1547427

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: RE: El Scorcho - Dos
Okay Grumpy!  It's over...I'll remind you next year of all your misery when you try to sign up again.  I'm proud of you for not giving up...
2008-07-21 10:53 PM

User image

Pro
Texas
Hey, nothing to be ashamed of here. I cracked about 11.5 miles in on the 25k and had to walk most of the rest of the way. It wasn't easy out there. Congrats on the finish.
2008-07-23 9:11 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
I'm proud of you, too, for sticking it out and finishing.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » El Scorcho - Dos Rss Feed