United States
Korff Enterprises
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 35m 53s
Overall Rank = lots/??
Age Group = M20-24
Age Group Rank = 11/61
Pre-race routine:

Up at 330, on the road by 4am. I really felt like my alarm had to be a joke when it went off because it was so early... guess not. Set up my transition area and munched on breakfast (clif bars and cereal). Had to wait around a while since transition closed at 545 and my wave wasn't until 703, but it was fun to be a spectator for once.
Event warmup:

None.
Swim
  • 24m 28s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim wasn't nearly as fast as every had said it was. I hadn't done much swimming before the race so I was looking forward to an easy swim in a really fast current, but that never happened. The only thing the current seemed to do was make it harder to breathe. My swim form isn't great and I usually breathe on my right side every other stroke, but my lips only get ever so slightly above the water. That didn't work in this chop. I moved to a breathe every stroke (still right-side only), where I would take a longer, harder stroke and get some significant clearance from the water. Was not good technique, and it cost me time-wise, but I needed it to breathe.

Swam passed Scott Rigsby about half way through, which was cool. What an inspiration that guy is! Made me feel bad for feeling jipped about the swim.

All in all, the swim got it's job done, which was to get me back onto dry land. No real complaints, I can do that again once I actually do sufficient swim training.

Didn't get stung by jellyfish like everybody else, so I've got to be thankful for that.

AG Swim Rank: 26/61.
What would you do differently?:

Train more.
Transition 1
  • 04m 17s
Comments:

I had a shorter run since I was in the closer transition area, but it was still on the long side. I was going to try the get into the shoes on the run plan for a first time, but opted out when I found out the bike started on an immediate uphill. Didn't want to still be getting into them when I was going up that.

All in all probably my smoothest transition ever.

AG Rank for T1: 16/61
Bike
  • 1h 18m 41s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.95 mile/hr
Comments:

I had done my last race in about 1:10, and figured this course would be 6 mins slower based on last years times. So 1:15 was my goal.

Bike starts out well, I feel strong, good cadence, no problems. About 18 minutes in (checked my watch), I run over something and I hear what seems to be the sound of air coming out of my front tire. Not good - I opted against bringing a spare since it'd take me 30mins to change anyway. I pull over to inspect my tire.

Full Pressure. No holes. I'm confused, so I check to see if it's my brake pads rubbing against the wheel, it's not. Repeat on the back tire just in case. Nothing. Weird... back to biking.

The noise didn't go anywhere. Sounds like air is coming out every rotation. About a mile later I stop again because I didn't want to leave Manhattan (where there is patroling bike support) to go to the Bronx (where there isn't bike support) with a flat tire. I inspect it figuring that there is something lodged in my tire, slowly releasing air, but mostly stopping it because it's clogging its own hole. Still, full air pressure and no holes. Weird, back to biking.

This time I decide that I just missed it and it's lodged in there, but by now I'm in the Bronx. So I decide to just bike fast and hope it lasts until I get back in Manhattan. I pick up a good cadence, good rhythm, and feel good, though a bit worried that my tire may explode at any time. Course is tough, but no real problems. Passing people the whole way.

About 5 miles to go in the bike ride, it sounds like something flies off my tire and the noise is gone. Back to normal... no complaints from me.... I'm feeling a bit sore in my lower back, but fine as I come back into transition.

I estimate the stops cost me about 2-3 minutes, which means I would've been right where I wanted. Oh well, what can ya do? I'm just glad to have finished, the rest doesn't matter.

AG Bike Rank: 14/61.

Stop the paranoia.
Transition 2
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

OK T2. I had a very short run to rack my bike, and a long one to get out and onto the run. Felt very fresh as I was running out.

AG Rank for T2: 24/61.

Nothing.
Run
  • 46m 47s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Run may have been longer than 10K. My Transition area probably had 100m longer to run than the other transition area. I figure the other one was the exactly measured one because the pros were in the other one.

Anyway... felt very strong leaving Riverside Park and crossing 72nd Street. The temp was really picking up now. I've run the park before so the course didn't surprise me and I knew the hills were there. I kept a pretty steady pace throughout, maybe a slight slowdown at the end but not much. The only change was the amount of pain I was in that grew steadily. By mile 3 I was having trouble staying upright (whole back was in pain). Mile 4 I got sprayed by a volunteer with a hose, which felt great for a second. Only problem was he sprayed my whole body so I had to run the last 2 miles with soaking socks/shoes. Not helpful - felt like bricks.

I steadily passed people the whole way with only a handful passing me, so I felt great about that.

Mile markers were all over the place. My pace according to them varied widely, but I know that didn't happen (esp because some of the early miles were my slowest by far according to them). I just ended up ignoring them.

AG Run Rank: 5/61. Missed 4th by one second, which makes me feel bad for just cruising in at my steady pace to the finish rather than kicking it home, which I had the energy to do. Oh well, you live and learn. I thought it was a good run on the whole, but really feel like I have a lot of room left to grow in this leg.

Embrace the pain and push through it.
Post race
Warm down:

Bike back to the parking garage so that I could go home. About 25 blocks away.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Should've trained more.

Event comments:

Will probably come back next year and try it again. The run course is just fabulous and made up for the blandness of biking the West Side Highway, and swimming in the dirty hudson.

Good race.

Last updated: 2007-10-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:28 | 1640 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 26/61
Overall: 61/??
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: straight swimming lane down next to the sea wall. no turns, point-to-point.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:17
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:18:41 | 24.85 miles | 18.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/61
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Up to the bronx, and back down to Riverside park. Not many turns. Uphill on the way out, strong headwind on the way back. Tough course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:46:47 | 06.21 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/61
Course: Run up from riverside park to 72nd street. Cut across to central park, do northern, clockwise route. Rolling hills throughout.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-21 10:40 PM

Regular
Subject: New York City Triathlon

2008-07-26 2:49 PM
in reply to: #1547714

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: New York City Triathlon
Good race.  That wierd sound on the bike must have driven you freakin crazy.  Looks like you had a pretty good day overall.  Congrats.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New York City Triathlon Rss Feed