Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Need advice from parents w/kids in DAYCARE! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-29 3:55 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2005-01-29 10:31 PM
in reply to: #110101

Elite
Venture Industries,
Subject: RE: Need advice from parents w/kids in DAYCARE!
It's normal. Both the kid getting sick from day care and you worrying. Every parent with kids in day care go through it. unfortunetly unless you have the luxuary of not working and not having to put your child in day care he/she is going to catch colds, and(this one happens all the time too) get bit by other kids.

Aint parenthood great!!!
2005-01-30 2:14 PM

New user
Westchester County, NY

I'm not a parent, but I am a teacher in a small school for K-12 and I've got to say the littler the kids, the more often they are coughing, sneezing, slobbering, and feverish.  In my opinion in basically comes down to the fact that little kids spread germs and until they are old enough to realize the difference between their sleeves vs. tissue, and rinsing vs. handwashing,  the kid'll be fighting off germs.

If your doc is not concerned, you shouldn't be.  Your doc would tell you if she/he thought something was amiss.

2005-01-30 3:36 PM

Expert
Utah

I would agree with your Dr., your little guy is just experiencing "toddlerdom".   I am not a Dr. ,but I have observed that kids pass all sorts of things around at school, church, daycare, birthday parties, etc.  I found as my kids got older, they didn't get  as sick.  My youngest just turned 8 and has only been sick once this year.  My 14 yo hasn't been sick in about 2 years. 

2005-01-30 3:57 PM
in reply to: #110337

, Alabama
alanna_bologna - 2005-01-30 2:14 PM

until they are old enough to realize the difference between their sleeves vs. tissue, and rinsing vs. handwashing,  the kid'll be fighting off germs.

If your doc is not concerned, you shouldn't be. 

I remember an old supervisor telling me (I used to work in a hospital), "an active immune system is a healthy immune system".  Which means, like everyone else says, kids exposed to other kids will catch colds, but they are also developing antibodies.  Just food for thought.  My kids haven't been that little for a long time, but I do remember that when teething, they always had runny noses, were cranky, and occasionally had a low-grade fever.  The high fevers over 104 definitely need to be looked at though, as kids that young aren't developed enough to hold body temperature as well.

Alanna, as far as kids knowing the differences you mentioned, my oldest son is 12 and I'm STILL waiting for hiim to be able to tell the difference!!;-<b></b>)

Edited by snikpos 2005-01-30 3:59 PM
2005-01-30 6:09 PM

New user
West Des Moines Iowa
Father of 3 and paramedic chiming in (wife is ER nurse).

Probably nothing to worry about .. but there is some cheap peace of mind. Find out from other parents who "the best" kids doc is in your town/ burb/ neighborhood. Take your child there for a second opinion. Even if not covered by insurance, you'll sleep better at night -- well at this age, maybe not actual sleep -- but you know what I mean.

2005-01-31 7:53 PM

2005-01-31 11:08 PM

One of the reasons we stopped doing daycare was because of illnesses. Not only was my kid always getting sick and then being sent home (so my wife had to take lots of time off work), but then we would get sick. I have never been as sick as when my daughter was in daycare and have not been that sick since we stopped taking her. I am not looking forward to it happening when she starts kindergarten.

Edited by gypsykorea 2005-01-31 11:17 PM
2005-02-01 9:02 AM

Regular
I know exactly what you're talking about.

I had the luxery of taking care of my daughter all the time until just recently. She is almost 3 and we just put her into day care 3 times per week. In the first 2 1/2 years of her life she had one fever and a handful of sniffles, no trips to the doctor. I felt completely blessed with a healthy daughter. Now, she is sick on her second week of day care. :-(

Good luck,

Greg
2005-02-01 9:07 AM

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
Will be putting our 3 week old in day care in about 2 months.....

...Just think of it like this....the immune system is getting a lot of practice and is ready for when BIG stuff comes along.
2005-02-01 10:37 AM

Master
Sonoma County, CA
this is kinda a cross post fromt he mamas and papas thread but my son is 8 and this is the first year he hasn't been sick all the time.....

one thing different with his second grade class is his teacher asks for parents to send in the anti bacterial hand wash and makes all the kids wash hands a couple of times a day at the sink in the classroom. It's been AMAZING the difference....

for awhile his dad and i were freaking out trying to figure out WHY he was getting sick so much. Trips to the dr. where they assured us over and over again..."he is fine! this is normal!!!"

2005-02-01 1:23 PM

2005-02-02 11:26 PM

Extreme Veteran
Townsville
I know this might sound kind of left-feild-earth-mother-psudo-hippy-wako type of a comment but we have been giving out little girl (11 months) homeopathics to prevent colds and stuff.

I have been a person with BOTH feet firmly planted in the main streem medical model until about two years ago....Now I have one foot in mainstreem and another foot in complimentry medicine BUT I always disclose to both the doctors and the REPUTABLE practitioner all the kinds of medicines and suppliments we take.

I am a firm believer in complimentry medicine now as our girl has had only one cold since attending day care and the other kiddies have all been sick heaps.

2005-02-03 11:08 AM

2005-02-03 5:03 PM

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line
Hang in there... as mom to 2 little ones who have constant ear infections (we're on #3 set of ear tubes per each child) I sympathize. Our daughter goes to a pre-school/day care center and she gets sick about once every 2 months and our son goes to the local school district pre-school program due to a severe speech problem and he's sniffling all the time. I truely believe its a matter of how often the teacher's make the children wash hands - our daughters is multiple times a day but our son's is only a half day program so they have not only the morning kids germs but also the afternoon kids germs to spread and not enough time to do the actual class room learning but also to clean hands and the classroom between sessions.

My suggestion is wash hands immediately upon getting them home and also after every public outing... that has helped us. Also, for ear infections, I am a firm believer in tubes. When mine have the tubes, no infections and they can have multiple colds with no fevers/pain/discomfort etc... but as soon as they fall out, the ear infections start up - as is happening as we speak - i expect a dr visit tomorrow for the daughter.... We've been told this general rule: 4 ear infections in any given 6 months grounds for tubes. Now, as soon as both tubes are both out and either child gets 1 infection, I'm off to the eent and demanding tubes since we have such a long and painful history... they're only 3 and 5 I've joked with hubby when #3 comes this summer as soon as it's out to have a eent waiting to put first set of tubes in so we avoid all the painful nights of ear infections.

Good luck and keep yourself sane with knowing you're doing the right thing for you and your child!

Cathleen
2005-02-04 1:54 AM
in reply to: #112047

Extreme Veteran
Townsville
we believe in vacinations as well.

Just go to your local homeopathic practitioner and they can tell you what you could take as a suppliment.

Beware the GP who POO POO's the complimentry medicine and beware the Comp' Practitioner who POO POO's the GP.

Its all about balance.

we use (please excuse the hippy sounding names) rescue remedy, babys first medicine, and we also use vaccination homeposthics to help with the introduction of the vaccines.

Cheers,

Spanner

2005-02-06 12:48 PM

Veteran
Eilat, Israel
We have a 15 month ols son that we put in day care 6 weeks ago; he's been sick about 70% of the time. We visit the doctor almost on a weekly basis and are considering buying stock in several drug companies. It's a pretty common situation- epecially since it's winter. YOU ARE O.K; YOU ARE GOOD PARENTS; this stuff makes a tri look easy,
2005-02-08 12:34 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
I have 2yo and a 3 mo old, both in day care. The older one has had a snotty nose since she was one. They both seem to catch a bug every two weeks or so. Don't know if daycare is to blame or if I am bringing bugs home from the hospital. Good luck. james 
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Need advice from parents w/kids in DAYCARE! Rss Feed