Flagstaff, Arizona
United States
Mountain Man Events
Total Time = 6h 05m 47s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Slept from 11:30 to 4:00. I actually woke up about 5 minutes before the alarm would have gone off. Major KUDO's to me from my wife. Had the standard cup of coffee to help with the pre-race "evacuation". I already had everything packed in the truck, so not much to do but eat and head out. Got to the site at about 5, the half racks were already pretty full, but was able to squeeze in. Found the Cool Kids and we walked over to the start.
Event warmup:

Swam around for a minute or two before the start. I think that really helped a lot. Last year I didn't warm up at all, and I think that caused the problems I had early in the swim.
Swim
  • 40m 48s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim went really well, I started on the far left side of the group. It was a "waist deep" start. Walking across the rocks and mud I kept thinking about the leeches we used to get in Lake Mary as kids. Felt like navigation was very good and I had almost no contact/combat to speak of. I guess after IMAZ my perception of mass start swimming changed a bit. Stopped once to clear my goggles as they were so fogged I couldn't see the buoys. Got back to the ramp and didn't feel to worked...maybe I should have pushed a bit more.
What would you do differently?:

Not much except improve swim fitness and strength.
Transition 1
  • 05m 18s
Comments:

My transitions need a lot of work. I jogged up the ramp and to my bike, but once in transition I take forever. Had the wet suit and timing chip all tangled around my ankle which caused a bit of problem. I'm paranoid about sunburn, so I re-applied sunblock on the legs, head and neck. LOVE my DeSoto cooler wings, I think they are quicker than putting sunscreen on my shoulders and arms.

Get better at all aspects of transition.
Bike
  • 2h 55m 46s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.12 mile/hr
Comments:

This is the best bike course. Can I say how nice it is to just ride for 3 hours making only one U-turn. While there were enough people around to feel like I was in a race it wasn't the standard Tempe draft/wreck-fest that I've grown accustomed to. After my stomach issues/nutrition disaster at IMAZ, I decided to switch things up a bit. I'm going to experiment with gels and water...no sports drink. May supplement with endurolytes in hot weather. It worked pretty well, had 2 gels some almonds and water.

My biggest disappointment was my apparent inability to urinate while riding a bike. I tried on just about every easy downhill, but to no avail...stage fright every time. I think I have an overactive sphincter condition...might get that checked out.

I pushed the bike just a bit past comfortable. My legs were getting angry at me, so I was wondering how the run would go.

Nothing except learn how to urinate on myself.
Transition 2
  • 04m 3s
Comments:

About the same as T1 except no wet suit. More sunscreen applied.

Flying dismount!
Run
  • 2h 19m 54s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Headed out of transition with the usual brick legs, no worries. Saw Jerry coming in, still had enough lungs to yell at him across the road. The legs loosened up after about 3/4 of a mile. Got to the hill and took it easy going up, never walked, but didn't exactly scream past anyone either. Saw Milton coming down the hill, I had no lungs left to yell, but mustered a big wave. Paulette blew past me at the turn around. One of the highlights of the race was watching Paulette do a high-speed downhill cartwheel for Jen and Josh as they were coming up...that move could have been disaster for someone less skilled. Gave high fives to Jen and Josh, my spirit was boosted. A few minutes later, I caught up to Paulette trying to work out a cramp, we ended up running together for a while. She gave me a few pointers on race urination strategies and we talked about food and how much we like food. At the turn around the two Hammer Gels Paulette had downed seemed to have done the trick and she turned on the after burners while I proceeded to the woods to do what I had spent the last 3 hours trying to do. Success! Only problem was the two minutes I spent standing motionless contributed to a total lock-up of both legs. I didn't feel that bad, but I just couldn't get my legs to move. I kept "running" with stops at all aid stations to sample the Oreos, Fig Newtons and whatever else they had. I saw Jen and Josh one more time and by this time Sally was out on her bike giving moral support to us which was really cool. Finished the last 15 or 20 minutes in the rain. My son wanted to run the finish with me which was ok except that he wanted to run back away from the finish line so I had to grab him and carry him. I almost cried when I heard the announcer say "Chris Dunbar, you are a Half-Ironman"

Run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate watermelon. Then hung out with the Cool Kids for a few minutes under the tent. We had to bail early because we had to go pick up my youngest son.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training. Bad transitions. Unable to pee on the fly.

Last updated: 2008-07-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:48 | 2112 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:18
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
02:55:46 | 56 miles | 19.12 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:03
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:19:54 | 13.1 miles | 10m 41s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-07-22 12:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Flagstaff, AZ
Subject: Mountain Man

2008-07-22 12:22 AM
in reply to: #1547837

User image

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
Subject: RE: Mountain Man

Nice job! Looks like you are working on all crucial skills, like nutrition and peeing on the bike. It was so cute when you picked up Arlo and carried him across the finish line. When you stopped and went back a bit to get him, C. D. cried out: "What is he doing? He's ruining my time!"

Did you really have to mention the leeches??? Yell

2008-07-22 9:54 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Great job out there!
2008-07-22 10:17 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Awesome race ! Well done!  knew that right after I saw you on the run course, it was about to start pouring down so I went back to the finish to tell the cool kids that you and PJ were on the way! That is such a tough OLY course, I couldnt imagine doing a HIM there- major kudos to you!

Great to meet you and your family.  

2008-07-22 5:18 PM

Pro
AZ
OMG that was hillarious!!!  What a great race Chris had!!  You need to work on that whole pee thing.  Other than that you smoked it!!  Awesome job Dave! It was great to meet you this weekend!
2008-07-22 7:02 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-07-22 10:17 PM

Elite
Mesa, AZ
Oh Chris I am so proud of you a Half is such an accomplishment. HA HA!!

You did awesome out there, everytime I saw you you looked like you were hardly working. I like your "cooler wings" too! Easy to spot you everytime (HEY - who's the weirdo in long sleeves? )

You're my kind of guy deciding to do a HIM last minute!

I kind of think chicks rule when it comes to peeing on the bike!

OK but in all honesty you're a quick dude and that was a GREAT HIM on a TOUGH TOUGH COURSE!!!
2008-07-23 6:18 PM

Master
Wisteria Lane
Great job out there!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mountain Man Rss Feed