General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any Brattleboro area Triathletes? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-22 9:08 AM

Regular
Subject: Any Brattleboro area Triathletes?
Anyone from the Brattleboro area interested in meeting up for training? There doesn't seem to be any tri club in the area, but would love to swap training ideas and tips with other triathletes!

2008-07-25 8:08 AM
in reply to: #1548349

Regular
Subject: RE: Any Brattleboro area Triathletes?
I guess not....
2009-04-06 1:16 PM
in reply to: #1558329

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river
vtgirl - 2008-07-25 9:08 AM I guess not....

I'm in Mass, about 12 miles away from Bratt - if you're still looking
2011-12-08 11:06 PM

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire
Where do you guys do open water swimming in the southern VT area? I'm willing to head over to NH and...maybe MA, although MA is just a bit too far for me.
2011-12-09 10:04 AM

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river

Most of the good spots are about 20 minutes or so from Bratt.  There is nearby Rock River in Newfane, but it's more of a swimming hole than a place to swim distance.  The first area is family friendly and some pools up the way are clothing optional and further up is...um... not a place you really want to bring the family.

Spofford Lake in NH, just over the border, about 15 minutes from Bratt, along route 9

Harriman Reservoir/ Sommerset lake in West Dover is about 30 minutes away.  There is a part called the ledges that is clothing optional (not as bad as Rock River).  It was closed b/c of the debris from Irene but it should be fine next summer

I like Laurel Lake in Erving MA - which is about 35 min from Bratt and not as crowded

2011-12-09 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3932069

Pike NH

I swim in Lake Tarleton. It is not so. NH but worth mentioning. It is a beautiful, pristine, clean 400 acre mountain lake surrounded mostly by National Forest land. Some evenings I have the whole lake to myself. There is an island about 600 yds from the beach, there and back 1200 yds, there is a small dock for a Dartmouth Outing Club cabin about 1/2 mile from the beach, round trip 1 mile, and small boat launch 1.2 miles from the beach, round trip 2.4 miles. The beach itself is actually a tiny state park and there is usually nobody there. Its in Piermont NH about 25 miles north of Hanover. If anyone is interested in coming up I would love the company.

2011-12-10 4:17 PM

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire
I'm pretty curious about the ones around Bratt because they're closer for me, but I did hear that they were more swimming hole like than something appropriate for distance. I'd been to Lake Spofford earlier this summer, which is really nice, but back then I didn't know how to swim so I didn't go far, and I can't remember how far you're "allowed" to swim. Thanks for all the info, I will definitely check out these options.
2012-06-05 12:49 PM
in reply to: #3933629

User image

Davidson , North Carolina

I grew up in that area and can tell you theres not much  for competitive swimmers community.  Spofford lake is great (grew up on it) but there are tons of  motor boats. You could swim near the north shore side (where the locals go)  its deeper and has a lot less traffic.  From the  9a beach wares grove the swim to the island is great... if your have a pack of people and some one is pulling a life guard tube. Its a nice 800 there and back. its also about waist deep for 200yds.  I think theres a gonna be a spofford tri this summer too!!!

http://www.nhchesterfield.com/Parks%20and%20Recreation/Triathlon%20Flyer%20Handout.pdf 

this is all i have seen, my parents sent me the link, it does look questionable as to the distance and run,swim,bike if I'm reading that right. 

I'm gonna race if it happens, feel great running around home for a change. (its hilly

As for other spots to outdoor swim

look into some spots in pisgah  state park. Kilburn pond/lake  is a great no boat place and you could trail run in!  

West river road  in bratt has some great swimming spots of the road. Almost like a natural endless pool, with the current. watch out for nudest sites....lol 

Keene has 1/2h away has sury, its not so bad lots of silt. 

Wilmington 12/h away from bratt  has the reservoir and because of its size you can always find an are with out boats. take the boyd hill entrance. Also have a great, great flea market. 

I think hinsdale has some outdoor swimming pools but not 100%

Best of luck 

Andrew 

hit me up if you decide to do the spofford tri

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any Brattleboro area Triathletes? Rss Feed