General Discussion Race Reports! » Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Racine, Wisconsin
United States
HFP Racing
Total Time = 5h 57m 59s
Overall Rank = 986/1360
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 144/166
Pre-race routine:

Registered and checked bikes on Saturday, learned a very valuable piece of information -- due to the cold water (about 55 degrees) the bouys have been moved in from last year, the deepest part of the water is about 5 1/2 to 6 feet deep -- I can touch bottom for pretty much the whole course.... that calmed a few of the fears...

Went to eat with the BT bunch... great times!!!

We drove back home, figuing to get a good night's sleep.... packed up the tri-bag, and tried to go to sleep.. got up shortly after 4:00.... didn't sleep much...

Got up, had a protein shake, 1 1/4 PB&J sammich, and coffee, but didn't drink much of it... hard to get the sammich down, too... maybe a few nerves..
Event warmup:

set up transition.. put on the wetsuit and got in... really cold the first time, but got better as we stayed in the water.. swam a few times with 1TT and Sandi.

Took 2 enduralytes, 1 HammerGel 30 minutes before start time, and another one about 5 minutes before start time...
Swim
  • 36m 30s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

whaaaa??????? UNDER 40 minutes for this swim?? maybe it was a little short... Had a really good swim for me.. had a couple times with water starting to seep into the goggles.. navigation was horrible, but I really didn't do much sighting at all - pretty much watched others around me, figuring if I was around other people, I was generally heading in the right direction... a few times when I saw no one around me, I actually stood up to see where I was... and nearly got clipped (later found out it was new daddy djdavey himself..) I could touch there, but he was too short to touch bottom...

When I finished the swim, I even saw people with the same color cap as I had on -- and wasn't even last in my age group!!!

Only problem was that when I was coming back into shore, I saw a few people that were 'aqua-jogging around me, so I thought I'd do the same thing, since I'm tall, and can probably do better 'running' than swimming... so I stood up and took off my goggles and started running to shore -- just long enough for the bottom to get deeper so I couldn't touch anymore... that sucked..... had to swim a little bit without goggles on... til I knew I was in close enough to touch for the rest of the way in..
What would you do differently?:

keep swimming a little closer into the shore, try to do at least a little sighting (I actually veered too far --- to the RIGHT!! -- and then the left -- back to the right -- but not horribly) There were a bunch of people that had to go back out 'cause they were coming in too close and trying to go around the wrong bouy... I chuckled a little to myself 'cause I didn't get THAT far off course....

can't complain a whole lot, though, since this cut off OVER 30 minutes from my last 1/2 IM swim....
Transition 1
  • 06m 15s
Comments:

couldn't get wet-suit off (again).. stuck on heels, so I sat down to try get it off.. that didn't work, so I stood up and tried to step on it, which took a couple of tries... calves tried to cramp up, but I said it wasn't gonna happen, so they mostly stayed away...

had to hit the port-o-potty in transition - that slowed things down even more..

actually saw sandi, jszat, scoobysdad, and went out at the same time as ajotto.. weird seeing so many people I know in transition -- sorry I didn't offer breakfast to anyone...

I guess still be faster.... this isn't very fast....
Bike
  • 2h 51m 25s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.60 mile/hr
Comments:

first off, forgot my HammerGel bottle in my transition bag.. not so good..

Well, first problem on the bike is that it was basically the first time on the new saddle (would come back to haunt me later...)

Second problem was that my HammerGel flask was still in my tranistion bag after I left... oops..

Other than that, the ride was good for me - had 20 mph over first 53 miles, then fell apart.. Saddle started bothering me after about mile 20, and just got painful after mile 40... I DID stick relatively close to my nutrition plan for the first 40 miles on the bike, (except for keeping up with the gels).. took a little more water than expected (LOVE the aero-drink thing), and a little less HEED, and pretty much right on for endurolytes, but overall happy with the first 2/3 of the bike.. then the pain pretty much took over and I was miserable coming back in.

It WAS awesome to see other BT'ers and Donkeys on the bike.. left AND came back in with ajotto, but really didn't see him at any other point except for there.. also

Most importantly -- not have the initial ride on a new saddle (completely different type at that - from traditional to Adamo) be a 56 mile ride.. secondly - remember to put my gel-flask onto the bike... and thirdly - stick with nutrition for the entire bike. Overall happy, though -- big improvement on previous rides of this distance..
Transition 2
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

yeah, I'm still slow in transition -- even WITH the new yanks I put in my shoes...

have a faster transition.
Run
  • 2h 21m 29s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

I think this is where losing out on the nutrition on the final 1/3 of the bike course came back to haunt me... just got fatigued, heart rate average was only 143.. so I KNOW I wasn't pushing, and a lot of time I looked down and saw 120's for the heart rate. I was just tired. Forgot endurolytes on the bike, took a few on the run, but not as many as I would have otherwise. Also forgot to take out the new shoe inserts that I just got a couple of nights ago (I've never run with inserts in before - got some Superfeet for free, and thought I'd try them for a short run.. forgot to put back in the original insoles) - that came back to haunt me a little..

Was able to run with scooby for a while, and then with another friend for a while (non-BT) - and with all the support on the course with spectators, as well as seeing all the other Donkey's on the run, he told me "man, you seem to know EVERYONE on this course", which was pretty cool..

On the first lap, I was able to see jszat, mutri, and davey coming back pretty close to the end of their first loop, so my 1 goal was not to get lapped by them (i.e. get to the second lap before they finish).. well, made it, but not by much.. Left IT band started to flare up, I think because of the new inserts - felt like I was sliding a little on my left foot, changed my running pattern a little, which is probably what caused the IT band issue.

The last 3 1/2 miles, I caught up to a tri-wisconsin guy, and we started talking as we were walking -- we started to run together for short distances and then walk, then repeat... he left me with about 1 1/4 mile to go, 'cause I was just spent.. he came up to sandi and I after the race with his wife, asking if I was the donkey guy he was running with... his wife then said "aren't you Travis Vande Berg?" which pretty much floored me -- turns out she is related to a very close friend of the family, and they had talked about training stuff and that Sandi and I also did triathlons.

not bonk on the run... still better than the last one, though.. and I didn't feel as crappy after this one than the last..

not use new inserts for a 13.1 mile 'break-in' run..
Post race
Warm down:

Sandi was waiting for me at the finish line (she beat me by 13 minutes), which was cool. We got our picture taken, and walked around a little bit - went to the med tent for some ice for my IT-band. Hung out with the donkey nation for a while, went back into the lake to cool off a little..

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think nutrition on the back end of this race, new saddle, and new inserts weren't such a smart idea... what is it they say, 'nothing new on race day..' ummm... yeah..... I don't listen to that too much..

Event comments:

overall fun day -- had a great time with the donkey's and BT group...

I was hoping to finish in 6:30, and finishing at 5:57 was a great surprise. THIS WAS A PR BY OVER 1 HOUR AND 15 MINUTES, so I'm cool with that - but I am thinking it may be a little while before I am able to match this one..

A little upsetting is that I thought that a 6 hour for a 1/2 IM was a pretty good race, only to find out that I STILL finished 144/166 in my age group... just destined to be a BOP I guess.... though I'm o.k. with that.. I had a lot of fun. Great support from racers as well as spectators from BT, donkey nation, and others (the donkey jersey tends to get a lot of comments - which is nice and motivating)

Last updated: 2008-06-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:30 | 2112 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/166
Overall: 1131/1360
Performance: Good
Suit: heck yeah!!!!
Course: point-to-point.. to bouy, turn right, swim for a while, turn turn right again back into the beach..
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 55F / 13C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:15
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:51:25 | 56 miles | 19.60 mile/hr
Overall: 848/1360
Performance: Good
ave HR: 153 max HR: 179
Wind: Little
Course: flat.... really flat..
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:20
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:21:29 | 13.1 miles | 10m 48s  min/mile
Overall: 1010/1360
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loop course - out and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-22 10:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI
Subject: Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon

2008-07-22 10:50 AM
in reply to: #1548785

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon

Awesome race Travis!! I was trying to catch you but it never happened .  Great seeing you and Sandi again too!

2008-07-22 10:58 AM

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI
Great race Travis!  Nice seeing you after the race.  Enjoy your impresseive PR and get used to that new saddle now! 
2008-07-22 11:01 AM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
Great Job Travis.  Nice to meet ya after the race.   Awesome improvement. 
2008-07-22 11:30 AM

User image

Master
Living in the past

A PR by 1:15, 'nuff said.

Ah, but I can't really let it go at just that...great race and good to see you and Sandi!

2008-07-22 1:13 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Hey congratulations! Awesome!

Sub 6 is my goal...

2008-07-22 1:56 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

I always enjoy talking with and Sandi, Travis.

You did TERRIFIC!

Once again, did you use the stick on Sandi afterwards?

2008-07-22 2:08 PM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

you were awesome out there travis!!!  oh, and thanks for not stepping on me!!

EEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWW 

2008-07-22 2:17 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Way to go sub 6 even on a day with lots of "brain farts!" The back of the pack has the most fun though...so don't be too hard on yourself.
2008-07-22 2:41 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Great race. Way to smash your prior time! Now repeat after me " nothing new on race day..."
2008-07-22 2:55 PM

User image

Great race Travis! We might have to have our own Throwdown Showdown in 2009!

2008-07-22 3:22 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Dude... it was so great hangin' with you during the run. it really made the time (and pain) pass easy. Great race, brother. We're so close in time we'll have to have a showdown at a future race!
2008-07-22 4:33 PM

User image

Champion
Racine, WI
Great job!!!!
I wish I could run the swim....lol....
2008-07-26 2:49 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Great race for you last weekend. You seemed to handle each challenge thrown at you very well.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed