General Discussion Race Reports! » Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Racine, Wisconsin
United States
HFP Racing
Total Time = 4h 56m 37s
Overall Rank = 271/1422
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 17/41
Pre-race routine:

set up transition and found a guy who works at a tri store in chicago who heard that the water temp was freezing so he brought up a big backpack full of blue seventy neoprene caps and booties so i bought both from him :) very good decision! got the rest of my stuff set up, hit the bathroom, and walked down the beach to the starting line with the donkey crew!
Event warmup:

swam for about 3 minutes to get acclimated to the water and to try out the full suit i was wearing for the first time. nothing new on race day, hah!
Swim
  • 32m 59s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

definitely the best swim ive had in a tri so far! the water was pretty freakin cold but the full suit, neoprene cap and booties made it much more tolerable. i was a little chilly for the first few minutes on the way out to the first buoy and got smacked around a bunch but soon got into a good rhythm and started to cruise. im sure that we had a good current with us because i felt like i was flying and for the first time i actually drafted really well. i found a guy who was going a little bit faster than me and wasnt kicking much so it was easy to see his feet and stay right on them. i actually ended up staying with him for about 2/3 of the swim. i would lose him for a little while because he tended to not swim too straight but then those feet would show up about 5 feet away and id hop right back on. the fog that delayed the start for an hour made it tough to sight but i actually did much better than normal and it definitely helped having the buoys on the side that i breathe on which normally doesnt happen. when i got out of the water i looked down at my watch and saw 32:xx and i was real confused lol. i thought for sure that i had hit the stop button during the swim so i looked closer and saw that it was still ticking and i was pumped! i yelled to my mom that it had only been 32 minutes with a huge smile on my face and took off for the fun part of the race, the bike!
What would you do differently?:

nothin!
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

so this is where wearing a full wetsuit for the first time bit back...haha. i could not for the life of me get that stupid thing off of my legs!!! i pulled and yanked while sitting, then while laying on my back, then stood up and stepped on one leg with the other and pulled some more and finally after what seemed like an eternity i got it off. whew! but it was still definitely worth it to not be as cold in the water!! ran with my bike out of transition, jumped on but struggled to clip in and almost got taken out by some dude weaving all over but survived unscathed and took off to kick some butt :)

not take 10 years to take off my suit...and learn how to rubber band my shoes so i can leave them clipped in.
Bike
  • 2h 33m 9s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.94 mile/hr
Comments:

ahhh my favorite! i love riding my bike, especially in races where i just get to go all out and chase people :) this course was crazy flat with like 3 "hills" which werent much of hills. pushed hard the whole way and my HR was ridiculously high, in hindsight i probly should have gone a little easier but i was having way too much fun going fasssst! caught schmize at mile 10 and we did some legal drafting with 2 other guys for the next 20ish or so miles which was fun and nice to have someone to talk every once in a while until we got enveloped by peleton number 1. all of a sudden we were surrounded by a pack of probly 20 guys who were definitely not legal drafting. i think somebody had been watching a little too much tour de france because these dudes were riding 2-3 wide and about 1/2 a wheel length apart. i was really annoyed and just sat up til they were past and started riding legally behind the last straggler of the group but i was really hoping that the draft marshal would come soon and catch them! even when the marshal rode up on his harley which you could hear from a mile away these clowns didnt even spread out and im pretty sure most of them got nailed :) i think there were about 200 penalties handed out during the race which makes me happy and i wish more races would actually help clean up the bike portion! got passed by 2 more peletons during the ride, the last of which had about 40 guys in it. stuck with my nutrition of 1 bottle per hour pretty well but fell off towards the end and took a gu every 40 mins. overall it was a good ride for me especially considering i had ridden a tough 56 miles on friday night. oh yeah, i passed a pro girl with about 4 miles to go on the ride!! my parents and my best friend/"coach" lol drove around on the bike course to cheer for me so i got to see them 4 times and they were screaming and cheering which was fun. i cant wait for the big crowds at ironman :)

maybe go a little easier but i had a blast going fast!
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

much better T2! took my shoes off right after the last run and did a good flying dismount, i think it might be my new favorite part of racing lol. had my helmet and sunglasses off by the time i got to my rack.
Run
  • 1h 46m 35s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

who would have guessed that my run, which i have struggled the most with all year, would turn out to be my best rank in my AG!? tried to take it easy at the start but my first 4 miles i went sub 8 and my body wanted to run at 730 pace but i held back knowing that the last few miles were gonna suck. im very happy with how i controlled myself and didnt push it way too hard at the start and i was still feeling good after about 9 miles. the first lap went well and it wasnt too hot but that second lap is when the sun was blazing and it was getting humid. it was great to be able to see all of the people i knew racing multiple times which helped take my mind off of running for awhile. my HR stayed crazy high during the whole run and during the second lap i couldnt take in much nutrition because my body was telling the stomach to shut down and sending all the blood to my legs. kept popping endurolytes every 3 miles or so and took 2 gels while drinking water at all the aid stations and dumping water in my hat to try to stay cool. the last 5k was tough but i refused to walk and just kept trying my hardest to hold 8min pace because i really wanted to break 5! by the time i got to the last mile i just wanted to be done and to have something cold to drink and it felt like the race was never gonna end. finally got to the last hill and pushed as hard as i could to the finish line and made it under 5 :) sat down for a while and dumped water on myself, drank more water, drank coke, then more water, then more coke and got some ice from the med tent to wrap my leg with. i was very happy to be done :)

keep running more now that my leg is starting to feel better.
Post race
Warm down:

after the race i hung out with the donkey crew and cheered on our friends finishing. then we went and sat in the freezing cold lake which felt unbelievably good on the legs!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my run training has been weak this year with my leg being injured for what feels like forever but other than that the only thing stopping me is being lazy and not training more!

Event comments:

good consistent race for me with pretty good pacing all the way around. swim went way better than expected and bike was also faster than i thought i could do. cant really complain about the run as my run training has been weak and i still did pretty well until the last 5k. great race and im pumped to break 5 :) congrats to everyone who finished and rocked that sucker! now its ironman time baby!

Last updated: 2008-07-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:59 | 2112 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 20/41
Overall: 741/1422
Performance: Good
Suit: full wetsuit
Course: point to point rectangle with a little section out from the beach, then parallel to the beach down to transition.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 55F / 13C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:34
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:33:09 | 56 miles | 21.94 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/41
Overall: 284/1422
avg HR 165
Wind: Little
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:46:35 | 13.1 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/41
Overall: 292/1422
avg HR 179
Course: 2 laps with 2 hills per lap and not a whole lot of shade.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-07-22 1:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Charlotte NC
Subject: Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon

2008-07-22 1:50 PM
in reply to: #1549533

User image

Master
Living in the past
Subject: RE: Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon

Dude, you may have been blazing fast on the course, but you're about dead last in RR posting! Where are your priorities?

Great race, Josh. You will do well at MOO.

2008-07-22 1:54 PM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
great job out there donkey!!  IMMOO time baby!!
2008-07-22 2:19 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Great job, speedy pants!!
2008-07-22 2:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI
nice job baby donkey!! you fast, real fast... but you didn't lap me!!!! (almost, though...) maybe next time... if only you were just a bit faster..
2008-07-22 5:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
nice going... SUB 5s.. woot woot... kick 'donkey' ... eeeaawwwwww.  your primed for Mooo now... gidde up...

2008-07-22 8:08 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

That is a FANTASTIC race, Donker!!

I can't wait to see you at IM Mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

2008-07-22 8:44 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
After what you did at High Cliff, I thought it would be tough for you to take minutes off your time-- and you take a 1/2 hour off. WOW, dude. You have arrived. Great race.
2008-07-25 10:26 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Great, great race.  Way to stick to the plan on the run.  That last 5K really hurt.  I know.

And great to see you out there on the bike!

See you at MOO, if not sooner.

2008-07-25 7:19 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Great job out there   Im proud of my costar!

To think I would have gone sub 5

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed