General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Low carb-Ketogenic diet, anyone else attempting this? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-22 4:16 PM

User image

Subject: Low carb-Ketogenic diet, anyone else attempting this?
I have started eating a low carb diet and I am wondering if there is anyone out there that has done this in the past or is having success currently on this diet. I realize it is not ideal for long races but I plan to participate in a sprint distance race and still maintain some muscle mass. I guess I am looking to have my cake and eat it too...strong endurance and maintain some mass/strength. Anyone have any insight?

2008-07-22 11:45 PM
in reply to: #1550102

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Low carb-Ketogenic diet, anyone else attempting this?

I went on a lo-carb, lo-cal diet (Medifast).  And yeah, I've lost a definite amount of weight in a very short amount of time, but I did NOT have enough energy while doing the diet 100% to really train for races.

So, basically, good luck - but be aware of how it's going to affect your energy levels. 

2008-07-25 8:56 AM

User image

Chicago suburbs
I would do some research on these diets.  I also know someone who lost a lot of weight on medifast, but the more I have read about low carb diets, the more I was convinced not to do it.  It's important to remember that losing weight fast is an exciting prospect, but it's not always the best way.  Also, everyone says this and it's really hard (at least for me) to accept, but you probably didn't gain 10 or 15 pounds in 3 weeks, so you shouldn't expect to lose it that fast.  I have been dieting for the last 6 weeks, and have lost about 8 pounds.  I have dieted in the past too.  What seems to have worked best for me is being accountable (weighing myself 1x per week), watching what I'm eating, and exercising.  Once I put the exercise factor into the mix, that's when I really started seeing a change in my weight.  Good luck with your diet
2008-07-25 9:39 AM

User image

Champion
MA

I did low carb dieting for a year and lost weight fastest..but was unable to train well. I'm down 97 and first year about 62/63...

I find that Friel's book diet for Endurance athletes is the perfect compromise. You  eat lean meat, fruit, veggies any time and processed carbs only before or after workouts.

Check out this article similar diet with some tweaks...

2008-07-25 6:37 PM
in reply to: #1558496

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

bkelly5 - 2008-07-25 6:56 AM I would do some research on these diets. I also know someone who lost a lot of weight on medifast, but the more I have read about low carb diets, the more I was convinced not to do it. It's important to remember that losing weight fast is an exciting prospect, but it's not always the best way. Also, everyone says this and it's really hard (at least for me) to accept, but you probably didn't gain 10 or 15 pounds in 3 weeks, so you shouldn't expect to lose it that fast. I have been dieting for the last 6 weeks, and have lost about 8 pounds. I have dieted in the past too. What seems to have worked best for me is being accountable (weighing myself 1x per week), watching what I'm eating, and exercising. Once I put the exercise factor into the mix, that's when I really started seeing a change in my weight. Good luck with your diet

Your idea is all well and good and yes, I agree that if it you can make it work for you - that's the way to go.  I chose what I did because I have been trying to lose weight for a LONG time and doing tri training and not finding weight loss success.  

So, yes, it was somewhat drastic, and there were some definitely trade-offs.  Then again, I actually lost weight. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Low carb-Ketogenic diet, anyone else attempting this? Rss Feed