General Discussion Race Reports! » Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Racine, Wisconsin
United States
HFP Racing
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 25m 46s
Overall Rank = 1200/1382
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 85/103
Pre-race routine:

The big "thing" at this year's race was the cold temps in Lake Michigan -- reported 56 degrees on Friday. So, Saturday we all went down to the Lake to get a little taste of what we had in store for us -- this was the best thing I could have done. Got in -- it was FREEZING -- but found that after 5 minutes in the water, the pain left and everything went comfortably numb. And no hyperventilating, no panic, no issues whatsoever. Just... swimming.

Sunday morning, up at 4am (I think, much to the chagrin of my roommates Ellen, Laura (Whizzzzz) and Jess (jniekrasz)). I always like to get to transition early ... in this case, more than anything, I just wanted to be parked nice and close.

Took my shower (I know, I know... but it wakes me up!), ate my bagel, got ready and was in the lobby to meet Schmize to be his sherpa. Got everything packed in, and then the 5 of us made the short drive from the Radisson to the race site. Didn't get the prime parking spot I wanted, but was only about 4 cars down from that. Sweet! Made it easy to ferry things back and forth to the truck.
Event warmup:

The fog was incredible... the buoys had been pulled in maybe 150m already (due to the 40 degree water out at 200m), and you couldn't even see them from shore. Race ended up being delayed for an hour, which meant that because I was intent on getting there early, we ended up standing around for about 3 hours.

Got in the water for about 15 minutes to get used to the water... like Saturday, it was cold, but not so much so that swimming was a problem. Then, tried to warm up while waiting for my wave to go off.

Bonus - my guy Aaron from Mission Bay was there, and I was chatting with him before the race and found out he had a stash of neoprene hats. And he gave me one! Big shout out to him for helping me stay warm. :)
Swim
  • 35m 51s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was an interesting swim. Because they had pulled the buoys in, a lot of the swim course was walkable ... and it surprised me how many people WERE walking the swim. I probably stood up about 3 times to try and figure out where the next buoy was (the fog had lifted, but not enough so that you could always see the next buoy), but otherwise just swam.

Not a bad swim for me. I hear that the current was helping swim times -- which would make sense, since even with the shortened course, my pace was over 10 seconds per 100m faster than last year. A LOT of people were cheating and were on the shore-side of the buoys ... the fog and current pushed a lot of people off-line ... and I was surprised that a lot didn't even make an effort to go around the buoys. About 75% of the way through, I found myself about 20m or so on the shore-side of a buoy and decided that while many people were doing it, I wasn't going to -- so I swam back and around the buoy so I knew I followed the race course. Not that it matters a whole lot, honestly.

Got out of the water around 34:10 -- about 11 minutes faster than last year -- which made me happy. :) The long slog up the beach added another 1.5 minutes or so to my time...
What would you do differently?:

Not a whole lot. Like last year, little did I know that this would be the best I'd be feeling all day. Swam strong and without panic. Could have drafted better, but that's a skill I'm still working on.
Transition 1
  • 02m 55s
Comments:

While swimming in the cold didn't affect me, T1 was definitely problematic because of it. My left hand (because of the broken arm + 4 surgeries) has some permanent nerve damage that makes it somewhat cold intolerant. By the end of the swim, my left hand wasn't just numb - it was pretty painful. And useless. That made getting out of the wetsuit much more difficult.

Nothing, really. Circumstances dictated how this transition went.
Bike
  • 3h 13m 17s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.38 mile/hr
Comments:

I have no idea what happened on this bike ride. On the surface, I did everything right: kept my HR where it was supposed to be, took in 900-1000 calories on nutrition. But was feeling sluggish and not all that happy to be biking from the outset, and it just got worse. After about an hour on the course, I just didn't want to be there anymore ... for no real reason. Wasn't feeling great, but wasn't really hurting either. Keeping my HR below z4 kept my effort comfortable. After that, it became a mental struggle that I lost somewhere down the line. When I asked myself why I was doing this, I just didn't have a good answer. I think long course racing gives me too much time to think.

Around mile 40 I caught up with Ellen. I slowed to chat with her for a bit, and suddenly a dog darted across the street. And then another - but that one was moving much slower and both Ellen and I had to take evasive action to avoid. Ellen looked back -- the dog only had 3 legs! I guess he played in traffic and lost at some point in his life....!

At around mile 45, my Garmin gave out. Well, actually, it told me the lap database was full and then incessantly beeped at me so I turned it off in frustration. After that, probably raced a little harder than I should have, but not overwhelmingly so. Played leapfrog with another lady for awhile, which made the time pass more quickly.

I have no idea. That's the frustrating part. I still don't really know why this was such a bad bike ride for me. The time wasn't too bad -- I knew it would be slower than last year because I was holding back for the run -- and my overall performance was at least average, but I had almost no fun out there.
Transition 2
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

By this point, I didn't care. One of my shoes had popped off my bike when I dismounted (that's the second time that's happened now... should look at that if I want to continue with all this), and I carried it back to my transition area, where every bike was already back. In frustration for not having a good/fun/positive race up to this point, threw the shoe into my stuff and gave long thought to quitting. In the end, I didn't know how I would face everyone without having a good reason other than "I didn't want to" for not completing the race.

I wasn't running or hurrying. Didn't care all that much, either.
Run
  • 2h 31m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

I said this last year.... it was a death march. Except that this year, it didn't turn into a death march, it started out as one and continued to be one until I finally crossed the finish line.

From the first step to the last, this run hurt. Mentally and physically. I had essentially already given up the race while on the bike, and I couldn't give myself a good reason as to why I was out there killing myself. And - the mental struggles begat physical struggles -- my feet, hips and ITB were all yelling at me. I still had my Garmin with me, and I thought to turn it on to just see what my HR was doing... I was supposed to keep it no higher than high z3 until the last 5k... well, I wasn't even putting forth enough effort to get out of high z2/low z3. So, finally I just turned it off and put it in my back pocket (where it then rubbed me raw in two spots on my back). I didn't even bother to keep my split times on my other watch (and those of you who know me, know that this is definitely not my normal style) ... just didn't even care, knew it was going to be slow.

Last year it was fun that this was a two-loop out and back course so you could spend time watching for people... this year, I just wanted to not see anyone, not have anyone tell me I was "looking good!" or to "keep at it!".

Got to the 10 mile mark and decided to run/shuffle/whatever the last 5k. I just needed to be off the course as soon as possible. Starting to run again was HARD. Just hurt so much. Every small incline or decline was painful. I mostly had my head down, wasn't paying too much attention, but kept looking for the 11 mile marker. And I didn't see it, and didn't see it, and didn't see it....I was ready to just about fall apart. Finally - I saw the 12 mile mark - obviously, I had missed 11 - and that's when the crying started. I was just so relieved that I only had a mile to go. By the time I hit the finish line, I was a sobbing, emotional mess. I had just wanted to be done so badly, and I could finally stop.

Not do this again?
Post race
Warm down:

Stood around while volunteers anxiously tried to figure out whether I was overjoyed or injured or just a little bit crazy.....

Got some water and then wanted to just disappear for awhile, but I knew that Ellen was just a couple of miles behind me, and I needed to see her finish. So, I stood around in the finish area, trying to make my brain put together coherent thoughts (and no, none were really to be had by that time). Kelly and Laura came to find me and see if I was all right ... which I was ... and wasn't... just depends on your viewpoint. And of course, in that state I manage to run into at least 5 other people I know. Perfect.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I dunno. I think that mentally I just might not be a long course kind of gal.

Event comments:

Course is nice, volunteers are the BEST (all over the place, and incredibly helpful, friendly and supportive!) and there are plenty of aid stations along the course. The downsides -- the website is difficult to navigate and find any kind of information, they didn't even tell us when transition opened, expo was difficult to find, and overall organization seemed to be lacking this year.

Overall, it's a good race, though, and if I were to do another HIM, I'd consider it.

Last updated: 2008-03-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:51 | 1931 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/103
Overall: 1081/1382
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless Blue Seventy and neoprene hat
Course: Course was shortened -- buoys were in about 150m on each end, so as a guess I think the course was about 1600 meters. So - out 50m, then parallel to the shore for about 1500, then 50m back in. Could have been more, could have been a touch less.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 55F / 13C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:55
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:13:17 | 56 miles | 17.38 mile/hr
Overall: 1265/1382
Performance: Bad
Plan was to keep the HR under 160, which I did. Before the garmin quit, my average HR was 154, I believe.
Wind: Some
Course: Loop course. 75% of the roads were fine, 25% were in bad condition.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:12
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:31:30 | 13.1 miles | 11m 34s  min/mile
Overall: 1161/1382
Performance: Bad
Plan was to keep the first 3 miles easy, then steady high z3 for 4-10, then no holds barred for the last 5k.
Course: Two laps of an out and back course. When you finish up the first lap, they take you tantalizingly close to the finish. I mean, I could smell the post-race food it was so close. Just downright mean if you ask me.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-23 9:19 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Subject: Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon

2008-07-23 10:05 AM
in reply to: #1551679

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Subject: RE: Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon

You did it. It's over. Now onto the next one! We all learn ALOT more from our painful races than we do from our easy ones.

That's a fact.

Kiss

Nice Job.  

2008-07-23 10:22 AM

User image

Master
Chicago

I totally agree with Whizzzzz and like I said in the e-mail, I'm inspired by all you 1/2ers who had to swim twice as long as we did.  I couldn't even call what I did in there swimming so you should be very proud of yourself...I am!!

I know Aaron from MB too...small world!

Great job out there Laura!!

2008-07-23 10:35 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Getting upset about a shoe?  HTFU!

Sounded like it was a little tough for you, but as Whizzzzz has stated, you do learn more from those races!  You continued to strive and did well!

Congrats!

2008-07-23 1:27 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
First of all, Laura, great to meet you on Saturday and way to tough out a day filled with all sorts of challenges. But I have to point out one thing in your RR. You mentioned your goal on the bike was to stay in z4... is that right? That seems way too high for a race of this distance. I know my plan was to stay in z2, and while I cheated a bit I never got above threshold. If you were cycling the whole distance above your threshold, it's not surprising you ran into difficulty. I'm no expert, but just something for you to consider.
2008-07-23 1:35 PM
in reply to: #1552829

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

scoobysdad - 2008-07-23 1:27 PM First of all, Laura, great to meet you on Saturday and way to tough out a day filled with all sorts of challenges. But I have to point out one thing in your RR. You mentioned your goal on the bike was to stay in z4... is that right? That seems way too high for a race of this distance. I know my plan was to stay in z2, and while I cheated a bit I never got above threshold. If you were cycling the whole distance above your threshold, it's not surprising you ran into difficulty. I'm no expert, but just something for you to consider.

Great meeting you too!  And I'm glad you had the aero helmet there so that Whizzzzz could have fun with it. 

Ooops.  Typo.  Make that "below" z4 ... I was actually supposed to be mid-z3, no higher than upper z3.  My avg HR ended up being actually solidly mid-z3 and the ride was comfortable, effort-wise.

2008-07-23 4:57 PM

User image

over a barrier
Put the race behind ya and get ready to rock P.P - I'll be there as a cheering section and I'll holler extra loud for you....

I think the freaky weather impacted everyone's race too...cold/foggy to humid and hot!

2008-07-23 5:21 PM

User image

Regular
Oak Park, Il
Chin up and all that crap. It doesn't really matter what I say here. Its all just words. What matters is that eventually you'll put this behind you, realize what it all means in the grander scheme and then you'll move on and race some more. Just keep on plugging away. Looking forward to seeing you at PP.
2008-07-23 8:28 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

Y'know what?  I've never heard you say you "enjoyed" any race longer than a 1/2 mary or an Oly.  So maybe you told us all the deal...maybe you AREN'T "a long course kinda gal". 

There's nothing at all wrong with that, y'know.  You rock at the shorter distance tris and you are one of the best runners I know.

But you still have to do Olys so you come up and see me once a year

2008-07-24 12:52 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Not a long course kind of gal, but thinking of riding the entire IMWI course with me next weekend.

We all have tough races and you stuck it out even though this was one of your toughest. You should be proud of what you did, even if it wasn't what you had hoped for. And before you make any rash decision take a couple weeks off and let the emotional stuff pass. And then re-evaluate. And if you're still not a long course kind of gal, that's okay. We'll still like you.
2008-07-24 1:36 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Acknowledge...Learn...and Move on....

We already talked afterwards, but I think this is more of an anomoly (sp?), maybe an entire year.  It won't define you or you as an athlete.  Keep on keepin' on and all that non-sense

See you at PP....where it will be a new day!

2008-07-24 4:21 PM

User image

Veteran

You are tough ... let's face it, you got up at 4 a.m.!

I had a crap race last August and I remember struggling with it for about a week, looking for the nuggets to be gleaned (like never, ever have just enough nutrition with you, err toward too much) and then kicking the rest to the curb.  You are a strong racer but even the best have bad days. 

2008-07-25 3:30 PM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio

I swear, I'm not trying to make excuses for you here, BUT....  let's recap:

You were sick before the race.
The water was cold and even though you say it didn't affect you negatively, you lost feeling in your arm.  Now I'm not a rocket scientist, but this might just affect your bike skills and mentality just a bit.  You had a horrible T2.  How bad could it have been in the 2:12 that you were there?   You threw a shoe.  Ask any horse, you can't run with a thrown shoe.

Very impressive that you swam around that bouy.  They may not have ever known, but you'll always know that you did the right thing.  You are a woman of stellar character. (or maybe you're just a character) In all honesty, you did a fantastic job for someone who mentally checked out in T1. 

And I'll end this on the fact that I totally respect that you may not be a long distance course kinda gal.  Have fun on the IMWI ride!

2008-07-28 11:02 PM

User image

Expert
WA
Laura, finally got around to your RR.  Girl, you are amazing for pushing through.  Great job.  And you know, it's ok to not want to do long distances.  who says going long is the only way to go?  you kick azz anyway.  you showed your stuff on this race, and now you can go on and do whatever you want
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed