General Discussion Race Reports! » Midwest Mayhem Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Midwest Mayhem Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lawrence, Kansas
United States
Midwest Multisport Races
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 19m 24s
Overall Rank = 100/133
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 16/19
Pre-race routine:

Ate some fruit and a granola bar on the drive to the race. Did a stupid thing when I arrived: I didn't look at my number (was sure I new it) and found out that I gave the body markers the incorrect number...what a dumbass. So, a nice marker-lady did her best to turn my 5's into 6's....lesson learned: confirm your stupid number before you have someone write it all over your body in permanent marker.
Event warmup:

There was some sort of timing chip problem, so the race was delayed about 15 minutes. This was OK with me - I had some extra time to warm up swim. The water was nice and warm.
Swim
  • 32m 36s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

A good swim for me. I was relaxed and swam strong throughout. I took a good inside line and did some jockying around to keep my line in the fray. Navigation into the rising sun was rough.
What would you do differently?:

My goggles fogged up a bit...gotta find a way to prevent this.
Transition 1
  • 04m 9s
Comments:

No rush.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 25m 49s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.37 mile/hr
Comments:

I was feeling good after my swim and thought I would get after it on the bike. I did that and ended up with a good bike time for me. I did drop a chain at one point, but it went right back on with no issues.

Gotta hold back some...did great on bike, but was smoked for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

Fine

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 14m 58s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I was smoked from the start. Frustrating, because I was doing well (for me) until this point. My plan became running to each aid station and walking/drinking for .1 or .2 miles.

Just need to be in better shape to put my self in position to go hard for over two hours straight. Should mix in brick workouts to take the edge off the bike-to-run transition.
Post race
Warm down:

Found some shade and took time to stretch and bring my HR down. Drank a bunch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think all my one hour workouts have conditioned my body to perform for one hour. After two hours, I notice a significant dropoff in energy. I need execute longer workouts in order to break through this barrier.

Event comments:

I actually like this venue. It is a nice location and a good, challenging distance for me. KLM seems to have a monopoly on running local races and doesn't care to improve from race to race - not enough bike racks, didn't start on time, no aid stations on the bike course, weak post race activities. I would like to see someone else run this race next time.

Last updated: 2008-07-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:36 | 1500 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 57/133
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: One counterclockwise loop.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:09
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:25:49 | 24.85 miles | 17.37 mile/hr
Overall: 0/133
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: I liked the course: good roads, hills to keep things interesting. A good legth for me. A frustrating part were the two 90 degree turns at the base of two big downhills - just worked to get up those hills, enjoying the downhill speed when we all had to brake all that momentum to turn - ah, SOB! Oh, and KLM didn't have any aid stations on the bike route...are you kidding me? You can't put just one volunteer with some water at the turn around point?
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:53
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:14:58 | 06.21 miles | 12m 04s  min/mile
Overall: 115/133
Performance: Bad
Course: One lap around the Lonestar lake. This was a very nice route! Almost all in the shade and on backroads with little to no traffic. If I wasn't smoked, I would have really enjoyed this course. Aid stations every mile.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-07-23 9:47 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Midwest Mayhem Triathlon - Olympic Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Midwest Mayhem Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed