General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calling all NYC Triathletes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-30 12:46 PM

New user
New York City
Subject: Calling all NYC Triathletes
Hello Fellow traithletes !!
Im looking to connect with some Nyers who train and compete. How do you cope with the weather? Where does a Nyer go to train during the cold months?
Don't get me wrong I joined the Roadrunners and look to race whenever possible, but outside of my gym, I don't have anywhere else to train...

2005-01-30 2:51 PM
in reply to: #110314

User image

Regular
Rockland county , New York
Subject: RE: Calling all NYC Triathletes
I'm not a NYC triathlete, but I am a Rockland County Triathlete- just north 40 mins from NYC.
I run outside on nice days and on not so nice days.
Spin class once a week
swim 1-2 x's a week
workout in a gym 3-4x's per week. - strenght training

good luck in the snow

2005-01-30 5:01 PM

Veteran
Hi. I live on the God Forsaken Island...but I'm a member of the road runners, and race in the City too. I'm going to sit out this season because I'm having a baby in July, but I thought I'd mention the 5 borough bicycle club. Great bunch of guys....lots of fun....good rides. Right now they are having training rides for the Montauk Century.

Here's a link : http://www.5bbc.org/ The rides are basically easy rides and you'll find people of all levels.

Good Luck...I'll be cheering you all on!

2005-01-30 7:54 PM

New user
New York City
Thanks for the link & all the best with your baby.........
2005-01-30 9:24 PM
in reply to: #110418

User image

Veteran
Yeah, the winter has basically turned me into a Gym Superhero. All the biking, running, and stuff have been indoors. But I've joined two relatively new NYC organizations, http://www.tanyc.org/and maybe another Tri-Club, to get my body into Tri-shape. I'm new in the tri-community but I have heard the NYC Tri-community is really fun and all! Can't wait to get it all started!
2005-01-30 9:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sherman Oaks, CA
I'm a Brooklynite and there's a Brooklyn tri club starting up - I don't have the info at the moment, but I know there's a meeting on Feb 23rd and will post info here when I get the details. In terms of training, when I was training with Team in Training, I ran and biked in the park and swam at Riverbank State Park (the best kept secret in the city - $2 per swim in an Olympic sized pool! OK, secrets out now...You didn't hear it from me. ) Now, I train in Prospect Park, at the gym cos it's been so $#&*@ cold out and in and around my 'hood, both alone and with a friend or two.

Also, for any NYC Triathletes, or those in the area looking to get a little racetime in this winter, today was the first installment of the JackRabbit Indoor Tri at the Y series of indoor triathlons. It was at the Prospect Park Y. The next two are 27 Feb at Asphalt Green and 13 Mar at McBurney Y. It's $40 per race and ALL proceeds go towards each facility. For more info, visit www.jackrbt.com/indoortri I was one of the volunteers today and a great time was had by all who participated.

In a nutshell, you swim for 10 min, bike on a spin bike for 30 and run on a treadmill for 20. Your score is calculated based on the distance you cover in the alloted time. Check the above website for the specifics.

And a plug for the store (no, I don't work there, just a loyal customer) - if you haven't been to Jack Rabbit in Park Slope on 7th Ave, make a point to go. The staff is amazing and they've got the greatest running shoe service - see it on the website. Multiple video cameras film your stride and they know what shoes will work best for you.

2005-01-31 10:26 AM

Regular
New York, NY
When you say Olympic-sized pool, you mean 25 meters, not 50 meters, right? I always thought an Olympic sized pool was 50 meters in length, and that the only one in Manhattan was at Asphalt Green in the East 90s...

As for my training, I am stuck in the gym and SICK OF IT. The bike is the worst--I wish I could be outside. Am I wrong to be intimidated about training with some of the tri clubs because I am only training for a sprint distance (meaning, my runs at this point are about 2 miles, and my bikes are about 10-12 miles)?

--Jennifer
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calling all NYC Triathletes Rss Feed