Village Of Lake In The Hills
69F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 41m 33s
Overall Rank = 59/272
Age Group = M2529
Age Group Rank = 7/24
Pre-race routine:

Got up at about 3:30 and left house at 4:10 to get into check in by 5:00am. I got a Vitamin Water and had about half before the race. Had a PBJ and a Banana. It was raining really hard so I got checked in and then got back into my truck until it was a little closer to race time. This was a point to point and I liked the way it worked out.
Event warmup:

I rode my bike to the beach and then got in and did a few laps for swimming. I was unsure if I was going wear my wet suit or not and I ended up deciding on wearing it. I was in one of the last swim waves and although I swam that time I think I would put myself one wave earlier in the future. I tend to race
Swim
  • 16m 45s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt really good in the water. I started off slow for some reason, but then picked it up; however, I think I could have gone faster. I did a very good job with Navigation and with rounding the bouys
What would you do differently?:

I was in one of the last swim waves and although I swam that time I think I would put myself one wave earlier in the future. I tend to race faster with better competition. I couldn't find anyone to draft with because I just passed people or stayed on a tightline to the bouys. I need to improve drafting.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I am disappointed in my transition times. My suit got caught, I was trying to get everything into a bag.

Be Faster.
Bike
  • 47m 38s
  • 15.5 miles
  • 19.52 mile/hr
Comments:

Because of my swim wave I was just passing people and had to really work to catch anyone going my speed. Also even though I rode my bike heading over to the beach and the chain was on when I racked it, the chain was off and I didn't notice it until I tried to get on. Luckily a volunteer was right there and helped put it back on, but it probably cost 30-40 seconds.

Not have chain come off. Also know the course better. I didn't realize I was as close to the end as I was.
Transition 2
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

I had shoes tied in plastic bag because of the rain and I couldn't get the bag open right away. It also took me a bit to get the shoes on.

Go faster
Run
  • 32m 22s
  • 4 miles
  • 08m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

I was very happy with my run. I have noticed that this has been a weakness of mine lately and this is by far the best split I had for a run. My goal was to be at 8:30/miles and I was at 8:09. Hopefully by the next Tri I will be under 8 mins for 6 miles.

I did have a side stich at about mile 3 that was painful for about half a mile.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some fruit a bagel and a drink,

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mentally with the weather it took me a bit to get focused.

Event comments:

The race started 15 minutes late because of the rain, but would have been right on time. The organizers were great and the volunteers really did everything they could to cheer you on. It was a lot of fun, even with the rain, and I will definitely do it again next year.

Last updated: 2008-07-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:45 | 880 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 0/272
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeve-less wetsuit
Course: Triangle couse in a small, very clean lake.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:47:38 | 15.5 miles | 19.52 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Course had some rolling hills and 180 degree turns. There were 4 or 5 hills where I came out of the saddle and I had a tail wind out and a head wind in. Wet surface due to the rain, I took a little tire preassure out of my tires.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:52
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:32:22 | 04 miles | 08m 05s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Rolling with two decent hills. It went through a sub-division. It was a very fair run, although the last hill was a doozy.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-23 4:33 PM

New user

Subject: Lake In The Hills Triathlon

2008-07-24 5:41 PM
in reply to: #1553652

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Subject: RE: Lake In The Hills Triathlon

Glad you enjoyed it!  I live about 2 mi from T2.  I was out spectating on my MTB.  Lots of rain but everyone looked like they were handling it well.  Coming in on the bike can be tricky if you are pushing it because that last .7 mi is all downhill and then BOOM you are turning into T2.  Congrats on a solid race.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake In The Hills Triathlon Rss Feed