General Discussion Race Reports! » Colorado Police & Fire Games 5k XC Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Colorado Police & Fire Games 5k XC - Run3 Mile

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Parker, Colorado
United States
CPFAA
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 20m 29s
Overall Rank = 2/45
Age Group = Senior
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 7 am and had the usual Clif bar and banana, sipped on HEED. Drove to the race and debated which shoes to wear: flats or trainers. There was talk of a water crossing, which I confirmed, so I went with flats and no socks (learned this from Muddy Buddy).
Event warmup:

Stretched and ran a bit. Legs felt a little flat for some reason.
Run
  • 20m 29s
  • 3.03 miles
  • 06m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Be sure to read the course description. This was billed as a cross country run, which I figured would mean running on dirt paths. Turned out to be a really fun course with lots of imagination. Fortunately I prepared for the water crossings and didn't have to run in water logged socks.
Started off at a pretty quick pace as four other guys shot off the front. At Mile 1, I had moved up to third place and was about a minute off the lead. This is where we scrambled down a steep rock strewn hill to the improvised trial. Muddy and tough going. The water crossing wasn't so much a crossing as a jump in the water and run down the river a ways. Caught second place after this crossing on a short hill. Tried to run down first place through the rabbit trail but he was a fast 20-something. Nearly fell on the last water crossing and then hoofed it home. Overall I felt alright but was definitely a little flat. Trying to push through the terrain sapped me a bit I think.
What would you do differently?:

Could almost have got away with spikes here. First bit on the sidewalk had a dirt trail next to it. How cool would have that been? Haven't worn spikes since college!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, drank a ton, it was already pushing 80 degrees! Obviously no aid stations for this type of race. Stretched but my legs actually felt really good afterwards.
Took second overall but first place was involved in the "Toughest Competitor Alive" and hadn't registered for the open 5k, so I ended up getting first place for the actual race. Still second in my book. Insultingly, apparently being 36 puts me in the "Senior" division. Seriously.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Different type of race than anyone really trains for. I don't do any hardcore trail running.

Event comments:

It was a fun race on a great course. I didn't come for the aid stations or post race activities. Just wanted to gauge my fitness against other peers (and show what a little guy can do ;)

Last updated: 2008-07-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:29 | 03.03 miles | 06m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/45
Performance: Average
Mile 1: 6:26 Mile 2: 6:57 Mile 3: 6:51 Ave HR 172
Course: Loop starting from joint training facility near the Cherry Creek trails. First 0.75 miles on sidewalk, then a jaunt along the river on what looked to be a new path created with a lawn mower. Two water crossings, the first of which actually had you running in the river for short stretches. One fence crossing onto what appeared to be rabbit trail and then a final water crossing with steep banks on both sides. AWESOME!
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?