General Discussion Triathlon Talk » St Paul Tri Roll Call Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2009-07-14 7:18 PM
in reply to: #1559949

Regular
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: RE: St Paul Tri Roll Call
I heard that Turtleman was purchased by Randy Fulton, but I just went to the website, and I don't see any evidence of that. So, maybe just a rumor. I've heard Turtleman is great!!

Edited by constance 2009-07-14 7:20 PM

2009-07-22 12:49 PM

User image

Expert
I plan on doing the St Paul Sprint this year, will be sprint #4 of the year and my career that started this year.
2009-08-17 8:17 AM
in reply to: #2301867

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I just got an e-mail from Vacation Sports and noticed this statement:

PARKING: There should be enough parking within the park for all competitors and volunteers. The Phalen Rec Center is located across Wheelock Parkway and is also available. If for some reason you do not park in the park, please do not cut across the golf course. The golf course will be open on Sunday morning. When the parking lots are full, the best place is street parking south of Lake Phalen.

I wanted to let you guys know that this is not as good as it sounds (the part about ample parking).  They said this last year as well.   By the time I got there the Phalen Rec Center lot was already full.  So, arrive early.  If you have to park "across the park" or on the streets, you're in for a long walk.

2009-08-17 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2352587

Extreme Veteran
Minneapolis
BikerGrrrl - 2009-08-17 8:17 AM

I just got an e-mail from Vacation Sports and noticed this statement:

PARKING: There should be enough parking within the park for all competitors and volunteers. The Phalen Rec Center is located across Wheelock Parkway and is also available. If for some reason you do not park in the park, please do not cut across the golf course. The golf course will be open on Sunday morning. When the parking lots are full, the best place is street parking south of Lake Phalen.

I wanted to let you guys know that this is not as good as it sounds (the part about ample parking).  They said this last year as well.   By the time I got there the Phalen Rec Center lot was already full.  So, arrive early.  If you have to park "across the park" or on the streets, you're in for a long walk.

Thanks for the head's up - I've got pretty easy legs on Ragnar, so if we are done at a reasonable time on Saturday, I'm planning to do the St Paul sprint (I paid for it before  the Ragnar opportunity came up) - I'll see how I'm feeling, but I'm prepared for it to be a bit of an adventure on all levels

On a related note - I emailed Randy late last week about the possibility of picking up my packet race morning, and he responded within an hour - it will be no problem. So, great response time from Randy for that!

Cheers, Chris
2009-08-17 11:12 AM

User image

Expert
Looking forward to this as it may be my last tri of the season unless I sign up for st croix. Am only dong the sprint but hope to make zsome aggressive goals
2009-08-17 11:27 AM

User image

The Burbs
I signed up awhile ago but my training has fallen off the last few weeks.  I haven't been in a pool for three weeks, so hopefully a few sessions this week will loosen me up.  If nothing else, I get to try out my new wheels! 

2009-08-20 10:39 PM

User image

I'm signed up for the International race.  This will be my first tri ever!  I've read the bad reviews, but am forging ahead anyhow as this is my neighborhood, and it'll be fun to race through my home turf.

If anyone else wants to find me before the race and take me under their wing, I'd appreciate some pointers, I don't know what I'm doing and I'm a bit nervous.  I am not a hard core trainer, and my bike is more suited for commuting than racing, so I'll be there to finish... is there a cut-off?

-James
2009-08-20 11:19 PM

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN

Good luck everybody!  Have a great race.  I'm looking forward to reading race reports at the end of the weekend.

2009-08-21 2:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Circle Pines, MN
Good luck to all, and if anyone wants to meet me, I will be down at the beach in a 18' Tuffy black boat. I hope you don't want to meet me about 5-10 minutes after you start the swim.

Lance
2009-08-22 5:20 PM
in reply to: #2362988

I'll be there tomorrow morning hoping to avoid Lance's black boat...although accidentally sighting to it would not be a surprise. 

Good luck to everyone, weather's looking perfect!
2009-08-23 8:32 PM

User image

Expert
Just finished up my blog post after having a ton of issues uploading pictures, but my race recap is up on my blog now.  

Short distance on the bike, and a little bit for the run, but overall it was a pretty good race, great weather.  I finished 7/42 in my AG and was quite happy with that.

Swim was pretty good, little bigger crowd than I am use to starting in, so it took a while to get settled.
The bike was not too bad outside my legs would just not get going for some reason.  Roads were a bit bumpy for my tastes and I even had to pull up my front wheel a couple of times due to some hiden holes.
The run was good, PR on my Tri average speed. 

Blog link in my sig. 

2009-08-23 11:02 PM

Extreme Veteran
Minneapolis
This was my first-ever tri, and I really enjoyed it!  I did the sprint, and was just happy to be there at all after doing Ragnar both days prior  For my first tri, and the fact I was not 100% due to Ragnar, I was thrilled with how I did.

Many thanks to the good peeps & great advice from BT - no way I could've thrown down those times without everyone's help!

I thought Randy did a great job today - overall, I was impressed with the support and setup of the race.  

As I expected, my biggest gripe would be with TA security - there was no biker-to-bike verification upon exit (no bike stickers were provided - wtf?), and the TA was basically a free-for-all - folks who finished were milling around in there while many others were trying to get through T2.  But, everyone there (volunteers and racers) was very nice & courteous, so it all seemed to work fine overall.

Definitely plan to do more of Randy's events in the future - hard to beat his prices for the level of race you get! 

Cheers, Chris 
2009-08-24 9:25 AM
in reply to: #2365751

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Good job guys - I am glad it worked out well.  It was a beautiful day of weather!

2009-08-25 8:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Circle Pines, MN
Great day for a tri. I did pull one girl from the lake on the swim. She had some cheap goggles, and they fogged up, and would not unfog. She had a panic attack about bouy 3, and could not catch her breath. It was cool following the last swimmer around the swim course. She was not very fast, but she never stopped doing front crawl. Congrats to everyone who was out there.

Lance
2009-08-25 11:34 AM
in reply to: #2368739

Extreme Veteran
Minneapolis
Lance - sorry I missed you out there - I didn't see your last post about meeting up prior, or I definitely would've stopped by to introduce myself.  Thanks for your help on Sunday - it's much appreciated!!

Cheers, Chris
2009-08-25 6:29 PM

User image

I had a great time doing my first tri, just like everyone said I would. 

Thanks for making me aware that the bike portion would be short.  After the first lap I was able to calculate how short (2.2 miles) and I left Wheelock at an inconspicuous spot to make up the distance.  I just wanted to be able to say that my first tri was an Olympic without having to qualify it.  In the future I won't need to be so precise and will just do what the organizers say to do.

You might see me at the Saint Croix Valley Tri in Hudson in two weeks.  I might be hooked!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » St Paul Tri Roll Call Rss Feed  

of 4