Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Homeless Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-26 12:11 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Subject: Homeless

For the last few days while heading for the train, I see a homeless woman and her two year old (I am guesstimating that she is homeless and he is 2) begging for money.  He is an incredibly cute boy sitting in his stroller quietly and he reminds me of my own 3 1/2 year old.  It just eats my soul that this young boy must suffer while I am comfortably writing this thread on my bed.  What's wrong with this world?  What did he do to deserve this?  But what can I do?   I consider myself reasonably kind and try to volunteer as much as I can but everytime I see this I get depressed.

My question, I guess, is what can I do?  I give her a dollar or two but I was thinking of going to the store and getting her some diapers, maybe wipes, some snacks, a toy for him, something nutritious.  Then I think should I do this every week, but I have my own family to support.  Would I be a cold-hearted if I don't?  Maybe I am just venting, this is definitely not as interesting as BT Girls but it has been eating at me everyday!

What would you do?

Edited by TeddieMao 2008-07-26 12:16 AM

2008-07-26 12:29 AM
in reply to: #1560665

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: Homeless
This past winter I was doing some research on the homeless for a project in my sociology class. I was sitting in my warm apartment with a fire going and tons of blankets stashed in the closet.

After a while, I packed up every blanket I owned (with the exception of my bed comforter and a little one I keep on the couch), my roommate and I drove downtown and passed them out to the homeless.

There's always something you can do without it affecting your family. Even buying diapers once is better than giving none at all. No need to be Mother Teresa, but a little kindness goes a long way.

2008-07-26 6:54 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

There are a number of homeless that choose to be homeless, and make more in a day than we do sometimes by panhandling.

There are those that "milk the system" by "borrowing" someone's child and using it to "tug the heart-strings" to get more sympathy and gullible people to give them money.

There are those that are truly homeless.

Without following this person "home" to see if they actually are homeless, we won't know, will we?

I'm not being cruel, just supplying some facts.  I have seen the "homeless" at the train station in Chicago when I worked there years ago, and didn't contribute.  There are a number of "transients" that work the State Street area in Madison, WI, here.  I don't contribute to them.

If I was to do anything, I would volunteer at the local homeless shelter, or for the church (to which I am a member of but don't attend) helping at the local food pantry.

The poster before me did a great deed.

Any other suggestions?

2008-07-26 11:19 AM
in reply to: #1560758

Champion
South Jersey

When I was driving home from LP a few days ago, I spaced out, missed an exit and ended up in the Bronx. Anyway, I was in the left lane in stop-and-go traffic as I watched a homeless (I'm assuming) man pick up discarded pretzel, chip, etc., bags and pour the crumbs from each of those bags into one bag. I am assuming he was just trying to get enough crumbs and remains to get a decent snack. I had so much food in my car. In fact, from the driver seat, I could easily pick up a bunch of bananas and a never-opened bag of honey wheat pretzels. As I inched closer in traffic, my plan was to give him the bananas and pretzels when I reached him (no shoulder, he was literally a few feet from the cars). But then I got nervous about rolling down my window and having a male stranger get that close to me, so I didn't do it. I felt really guilty and for the rest of the ride, I just sat there thinking about how this guy was going through trash looking for crumbs, and I had more food than I knew what to do with and I couldn't even pass it to him out the window .

He appeared to be younger than me .

2008-07-26 11:25 AM

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
I know of folks who present themselves as "homeless" who make $300-400/day panhandling in Union Square in San Francisco.
2008-07-26 11:27 AM

User image

MotoQueen
One thing you can do is to give them information regarding United Way, shelters in the area, food banks, etc. Sometimes its just a matter of informing them of where they can go for help. It does pull at the heart when children are involved.

2008-07-26 11:31 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
You don't really know what that woman needs. what she tells strangers on the street may be truth or a lie, but even if it's the truth...is a quarter what she really needs?

maybe she needs a PCP, or a ride to the unemployment office, or maybe she needs a place with a table and a pencil where she can fill out some paperwork to get a job or benefits, or maybe she needs the police to put her husband in jail so that he stops abusing her and forcing her to panhandle to collect money for his drug habit.

you just don't know what she needs.

Don't go and buy diapers for the kid...if you are truly moved to do something, investigate the local volunteer organizations in your area...food banks, homeless shelters, domestic violence shelters, healthcare for the homeless programs, day programs for homeless people, the salvation army...there are scores of places where you can get to know a homeless person under much better circumstances than when she is sitting on the street corner begging for money...there is only one front she can show in that circumstance, and you will never get to know her.
2008-07-26 11:34 AM
in reply to: #1561183

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
LaurenSU02 - 2008-07-26 10:19 AM

When I was driving home from LP a few days ago, I spaced out, missed an exit and ended up in the Bronx. Anyway, I was in the left lane in stop-and-go traffic as I watched a homeless (I'm assuming) man pick up discarded pretzel, chip, etc., bags and pour the crumbs from each of those bags into one bag. I am assuming he was just trying to get enough crumbs and remains to get a decent snack. I had so much food in my car. In fact, from the driver seat, I could easily pick up a bunch of bananas and a never-opened bag of honey wheat pretzels. As I inched closer in traffic, my plan was to give him the bananas and pretzels when I reached him (no shoulder, he was literally a few feet from the cars). But then I got nervous about rolling down my window and having a male stranger get that close to me, so I didn't do it. I felt really guilty and for the rest of the ride, I just sat there thinking about how this guy was going through trash looking for crumbs, and I had more food than I knew what to do with and I couldn't even pass it to him out the window .

Don't feel guilty. See my reply to the original poster. There's a chance he's in that situation b/c he has deliberately chosen to a) spend his money on alcohol or drugs b) leave his family because he is too embarrased/ashamed to ask for help c) uninterested in pursuing treatment for his mental health problem.

It's far better for the layperson to get involved in organizations who are already pooling resources to help homeless people....your involvement will have far more impact and on multiple homeless people at once, instead of just throwing some pretzles out the window.
2008-07-26 11:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vancouver BC

Several years ago a guy comes up to with some sob story about how his car broke down on his to a job interview (he didn't look' homeless...but he certainly didn't look dressed for an interview)...and wanted $2 for gas (yes - it was SEVERAL years ago LOL....he probably would have asked for at least $5 now given gas prices!).

Anyway.....I gave him the $2...and felt 'good' about it.....fast-forward about 6 hours.....i was going to a movie with my husband MANY blocks away- and the SAME guy comes up to both of us and says the same thing (well where he was going had changed)!  I just said....sorry fella - I have you $2 about 6 hours ago over by (location)!  He looked stunned....like he was surprised he ran into the same person at a different location!

Now if he was just 'panhandling' it would be one thing...but it bothered me that he was 'walking up to people' on the street with this sob-story and making it hard for them to say 'no'....when clearly he was lying. 

back to the OP:....it's hard to know the reality of that family but that would eat at my conscience too....I would probably do as you said - but only once.  If she is truly in need for her child then I am sure she would really appreciate it.  But if the situation isn't as she portrays then you limit your 'losses'. 

I think it's horrible that I have become so jaded about street people.  I often tell myself (except in cases of mental illness, etc) that they could get a student loan (like I did) and go to school!  They have options to get themselves out of their current situation in many cases (particularly the young ones).

2008-07-26 11:59 AM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas

If ya feel bad give some food if ya think the kid is really homeless call CPS.  This may sound heartless but most of the HOMELESS are not. Most of the Will work for food!! will not.  And even with that said there are times when I give just in case.  We are not a heartless nation I used to work for the Texas State Workforce Commission man do we give a lot of money to people and when I would try to help the Recipients get work.... Well that just was not going to happen. Give with the understanding you are probably being taken for a ride but it is yours to give.

2008-07-26 12:00 PM

User image

Buttercup

Do whatever you feel moved to do.

It's not about whether she's homeless or not - it's about cultivating your heart and spirit.

I see a quote on BT from time to time - "We must be the change we wish to see in the world" (Mohandas Ghandi). Pursue that philosophy and you will know what to do in any given situation.

Edited by Renee 2008-07-26 12:01 PM

2008-07-26 3:09 PM

User image

Arch-Bishop of BT
Pittsburgh

I see numerous people walk in to/call my office looking for help or assistance.  People in my congregation donate to a discretionary fund that I disperse for financial assistance.  I have helped with food, gas, rent, utilities often in conjunction with other aid agencies in town.  i would wholeheartedly agree to find out about the local outlets for assistance.  They have safeguards in place to minimize fraud or abuse of the system. 

For instance... we never give cash to people.  Someone's hungry? I buy them a meal or groceries.  Gas?  I meet them at the gas station.  Etc.

And really... no offense, but throwing a bag of pretzels out a car window is not much.  i would encourage folks to get involved in the local, grass roots ways your community is reaching out those in need.  Churches, food banks, soup kitchens... whatever.  These organizations aren't just interested in short term fixes, but have resources that can begin to teach folks to fish, not just giving out fish...

-Brian 

2008-07-26 3:22 PM

User image

Master
Northern California
TeddieMao - 2008-07-25 10:11 PM

What would you do?

Ignore them and go about my day. 

2008-07-26 6:14 PM
in reply to: #1561414

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
coachese - 2008-07-26 3:22 PM
TeddieMao - 2008-07-25 10:11 PM

What would you do?

Ignore them and go about my day. 

Ouch!

I agree with most posters and my wife thinks she might be using the child too as a sympathy ploy but it still hurts.   Yes, I don't know if she is lying, has her own place, is lazy, etc...  I guess I could engage her in a conversation but would I believe her story.   I imagine my overall thought is why are people begging in this country?  With a simple yea/nay, our elected leaders can agree to allocate billions of dollars to fight a war in a far away land (whether right or not) but it is a struggle just to get a few pittance for the poor here.  I know about people who make more panhandling than I do in my job but that is rare.  There are poor in this country, kids who don't eat, living in the streets.  I guess I am just feeling guilty that I am not doing enough to help my fellow man/woman/child.

2008-07-26 7:59 PM
in reply to: #1561183

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
LaurenSU02 - 2008-07-26 11:19 AM

Better to be safe than sorry.

2008-07-29 4:34 AM

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
TALK to her. Find out her story. Treat her...like a....

human being.

Some of the youth from a nearby church went to DC for a week-long trip. They worked in several food shelters, kitchens, etc. They went out into the dining room and sat down to TALK to the people there.

One was a dad trying to support his two kids while their mother was in jail.
One was a man who couldn't locate any of his family.
One had his Ph.D., was an engineer, and used to make $70,000.

Yes, there are people who take advantage of the system. But there are a lot of people who get taken advantage of by the system.

Walk up and ask her name, her kid's name. Ask her what SHE needs. Don't give cash, but offer to take them out to breakfast, and listen to her. Does she need a babysitter so she can work? Does she already work two jobs but still can't afford her apartment and to keep her kid fed and clothed? Does she need meds that she can't afford? Does the baby? Does she make just enough money so she doesn't qualify for 80% of the assistance, but it is nowhere near enough to get by? Ask her. You want to feel better by doing something? Talk to her. Treat her like a human.

If she's lying, you'll know. If she's not, you'll know. And you'll know exactly what to do next.

2008-07-29 8:22 AM

User image

Master
Running trails in S. Ontario
There is a good reason that humans have a conscience, and I think it's a natural reaction to want to help those in need. Approach her, and offer some assistance into helping her find a shelter/community that can help her.  Here is a list of organizations in the Chicago area that may get you started http://www.warmwishes.com/homelessshelters.htm.
2008-07-29 9:07 AM
in reply to: #1561214

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
couch potato no more - 2008-07-26 11:44 AM

i was going to a movie with my husband MANY blocks away- and the SAME guy comes up to both of us and says the same thing (well where he was going had changed)! 

• ..but it bothered me that he was 'walking up to people' on the street with this sob-story and making it hard for them to say 'no'....when clearly he was lying. 

• I'm suprised people haven't already realized tactics like this... this is very typical panhandling. Their 'story' changes every time they approach someone, they change locations when they've saturated one.

I used to live in a downtown area with many of these people. I swear I had the same guy come up to me 3 or 4 days in a row with a completely different story. They were all outlandish... like his apartment had caught on fire and he needed to buy his six kids some underwear or something. One time it was about his wife's medication - he had an empty pill box in his hand.

Uuugggh. I will never, ever, ever give in a situation like that.

2008-07-29 9:28 AM

Veteran
    I realize there are a lot of scammers out there, but like someone said, cultivate your heart. I'd rather give a buck to someone than worry if they're scamming me, or if they did something to put themselves in that position. I had a colleague who was extremely bright and great at what I do, but for a tragedy occurred that forced him to take a leave of absence. During that time he became depressed and could not come back to work. He now lives on the street,yet is still mentally capable of discussing politics, the financial markets and such. But he can't overcome his depression (for whatever reason), and he begs on the street. He's embarressed about it, but still can't motivate himself. My brother asks why I give him money, he should get a job. You want to know something? I consider that work- I'd rather go to work every day than beg on the street- you imagine how hard that must be ? Your friends and former colleagues see you living in bank lobbies, beggging for food and money- that's worse than any job I've ever had, and I've had a few doozies..
    2008-07-29 9:29 AM
    in reply to: #1566400

Pro

Slugger - 2008-07-29 5:34 AM TALK to her. Find out her story. Treat her...like a.... human being.

What a thought! Revolutionary!

2008-07-29 1:14 PM

User image

Champion
    Calgary
    You are right, the child should not suffer. Call whatever passes for child welfare where you are from.

New Thread
    Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Homeless Rss Feed