Korff Enterprises
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 37m 53s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 53/413
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4 a.m. ate a couple of granola bars and a banana. Drank some water. Woke up Rowena and we split a cab with another couple of triathletes going to the race. Set up transition forgot to put in my glow sticks to light up the bag but no problems. (One day i'll get a transition spot under the lights!)
Event warmup:

After setting up transition Rowena and I walked down to the swim start which was about a mile away. On the way we walked up on Andy Potts who was also walking to the swim start....alone...barefooted. How great it was to see an Olympian walking with the rest of the age groupers like a normal person. Said "Hey, Andy good luck today." and he shot right back with "Thanks man, I hope you have a great race." Well that was a great start to my day. Talking to one of the best American triathletes and having him be a nice guy. Sweet.
As for the rest of my warmup I ate some, drank some, and hung out waiting for my 7:2X start. Long wait but I got to hang out with the wife so it was alright.
Swim
  • 29m 31s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

Watching the earlier starters I could easily tell that the current that they were all enjoying was almost gone. That didn't bother me because I want to work on my swimming and this was the first race in my wetsuit so I wasn't expecting much. Didn't get stung by a jellfish until about the half way mark then I got one on the lip, neck, both hands, and forehead. At least the stinging from the jelly made the time go by faster. Rowena said she saw me for a bit and said I appeared to be popping out of the water during my breathing strokes. Maybe I was trying to sight when she saw me or maybe that's why I swim sloooow.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster but i'm getting there.
Transition 1
  • 04m 56s
Comments:

What a run, 400+ plus yards to get into T1. Long enough to let me get my thoughts in order to perform a quick and clean transition. Didn't leave the shoes on the bike due to the huge hill that was right around the corner.

No complaints on T1, well, I guess I could have ran faster to get there.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 28s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.02 mile/hr
Comments:

Had a great time on the bike. Averaged over 20 mph for the race so I can't complain at all. Getting closer to where I want to be. Tons and tons of hills which is why my cadence isn't higher. Since it was an olympic I just kept hammering the hills up and down but I never once felt uncomfortable so I feel as my biking is getting better. Lots of people to pass and lots of people riding on the left making it hard to pass especially when hitting 40mph on the downhills. Gel'ed and drank on schedule and felt great.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

Almost tripped while running with the bike because, well i'm an idiot I guess. Someone had racked there P2C in my spot so I just pushed his bike aside. I guess all the numbers that correlate with your race numbers is just too confusing to some:) Got in and out as quick as I could but 2 min is too slow.

Go faster.
Run
  • 46m 57s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Great start to the run. For almost the entire first mile the streets were lined with people cheering and yelling. I felt great. Absolutely no pain anywhere in my legs for the first time since February. Tons of hills and tons of passing. I was only passed by 3 people and they were not in my age group. Saw Rowena a few times and got in good position for pictures.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with Row but had to hustle because of the Family reunion later that day. Rode the subway back to the hotel in my sweaty tri gear. Should have gotten a picture of that. My bike's first subway ride.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not knowing the course. Not eating right or getting solid workout in during the prior week due to driving up from Florida and not having any support to help out with the kids.

Event comments:

I thought this race was heads and tails above the FL 70.3 and I thought that race pretty well done. If I wasn't going to Japan I would definitely be racing NYC again. I'll be back in 3 years.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-10-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:31 | 1640 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/413
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Vortex 2
Course: Straight down the Hudson.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:56
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:14:28 | 24.85 miles | 20.02 mile/hr
avg 156 a little high for an average but there were tons of hills max 177
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: No idea, out and back but a little past then back again?
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:46:57 | 06.21 miles | 07m 34s  min/mile
avg 170 way too high but I run using a PE/HR combo and I felt good. max 184
Course: Again, no idea. Out of the water then up and around Central Park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes