Summit Velo
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 15m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Cat 5
Age Group Rank = 6/6
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 4:30 and immediately grabbed a bottle of water and a granola bar. Checked air pressure in the tires and made sure i had everything for the race.
I was looking for a reason not to go, I was so nervous.
I made it to the checkin with 10-15 minutes to spare because i got caught by a train.
Met Jen and Josh at the check in and said hello.
Event warmup:

quick spin of the legs up and back, maybe a half mile, drink another bottle of water.
Bike
  • 50m 20s
  • 12.2 miles
  • 14.54 mile/hr
Comments:

I went out probably too hard, i was averaging about 18mph, which i thought was pretty good, mile 5 I noticed i was about 16 mph and when i hit the turn around point, my legs were really heavy. From there I played a little game to get my mind off mileage. I pedaled to the next telephone pole, rested half way, pedaled to the next telephone pole, rested.....etc... it really helped getting my mind off the burn in my legs and lungs, but i probably only averaged 13mph on the way back. I was spent....but this race was meant to see where my baseline is and something i can look back on and see my improvements.
What would you do differently?:

Train for a longer period of time before I do a race. I've only started training about a month ago, after being dormant for 10 years. I think i pre-hydrated pretty well. Maybe even do some longer stints on the trainer in the evening(still too hot outside to ride in AZ during day)
No excuses though, my goal was 50 minutes and I was 20 seconds over that.
Post race
Warm down:

LOL i was suppose to warm down........ i got off the bike and laid in the back of my truck and drank water. Then I walked for a little while to get a drink.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall lack of fitness.

Event comments:

Everyone was very friendly. They had pancakes for everyone after the race. I just couldn't bring myself to eat yet. The volunteers cheered everyone on, one person even had a cow bell. Plenty to eat and drink at the finish.

Last updated: 2008-07-22 12:00 AM
Biking
00:50:20 | 12.2 miles | 14.54 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Was at the turn around, my time was 20:20
Wind: Little
Course: fairly flat out and back. The first 1/4 mile was downhill slightly, which meant the last 1/4 mile was uphill. As i made the turn, i felt the wind, maybe 5mph in my face.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-26 1:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Chandler, AZ
Subject: Flapjacks Flat 20K TT

2008-07-26 5:55 PM
in reply to: #1561294

User image

Expert
Phoenix, AZ
Subject: RE: Flapjacks Flat 20K TT
Great Job!
2008-07-26 5:58 PM

User image

Expert
Big Bear City, California
Great job getting back into the racing scene. You did great today and I am sure will continue to improve from here.
2008-07-26 8:54 PM

Pro
AZ
Just like Robot said ^^^^ what a great race to establish your baseline on!!  You will keep making progress as the months go by!!  And like you said....you beat ALL the LOSERS who didn't get off the couch today!!  Awesome job getting out there and doing it!!!  AND you got to meet the Sporty Bots....what more could you want? Hahah!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Flapjacks Flat 20K TT Rss Feed