General Discussion Race Reports! » Glastonbury Living Well Race Series - 4.5 miler Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Glastonbury Living Well Race Series - 4.5 miler - Run

View Member's Race Log
Glastonbury, Connecticut
United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 25m 32s
Overall Rank = 1/80
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 1/15
Pre-race routine:

Not much. Small coffee early in the morning as I went to the race site to help setup.
Event warmup:

1 mile warmup, some strides, stretching, etc... Had a decent sweat going which helps in these shorter races.
Run
  • 25m 32s
  • 4.5 miles
  • 05m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Ankle felt sore but "ok" during the warmup so I decided to toe the line. Knowing a couple good hills were in front of me over the first 2 miles I decided to go out at a good but comfortable clip, making sure I was with the lead group if possible, go easy on the hills and work the rest. However, 100 yards after the start I found myself already in first.

The 22 yr old youngster who ran on my heels last week was behind me though a bit back. Not sure if he was just playing a more reserved strategy but my theory was first one through the hill section and onto the trail at around the 3 mile mark will win. You just lose sight of people on a winding trail and it's really hard to focus on someone in that situation. So I unexpectedly had the lead from the start, ran steady to the hills, easy up, hard down, kept the pace into the trails, and as I hit the 4 mile mark someone told me noone was in sight behind me. That was welcome news. So I eased off the gas just a bit the rest of the way and finished first. Considering I turn 40 next year, I'll take it. Please with the splits too, fairly consistent which is always a good sign: 5:40, 5:34, 5:43, 5:43, 2:51.

Ankle held up through the race which was good, and back to being sore now. Will start physical therapy later, which includes ice, advil and beer...
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

2 mile cooldown

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. Was happy out front so time was irrelevant in my opinion.

Last updated: 2008-07-26 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:32 | 04.5 miles | 05m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/15
Overall: 1/80
Performance: Good
Course: Fairly flat with 2 decent hills in the first two miles, a 3/4 mile off-road trail section between miles 3 and 4. The rest was fairly flat roads.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-26 3:54 PM

User image

Regular
Bristol, CT
Subject: Glastonbury Living Well Race Series - 4.5 miler
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Glastonbury Living Well Race Series - 4.5 miler Rss Feed