General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin 405 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-26 3:56 PM

User image

Subject: Garmin 405

Hi All,

I went out and splurged a little on a Garmin 405, got a decent deal for $280. The features are pretty sweet , heart rate, GPS, wireless upload as soon as you get 3m from your PC. All really cool things, but the website, Garmin Connects, what are they thinking ! It take forever, quits, dies, forgets time zone information, has trouble saving data. Did they hire a couple of interns for the summer to write the website code ? On a good note the Garmin 405 actually looks like a watch on your wrist instead of a mini-laptop on the end of your arm. I'm still getting used to the menus but I feel eventually they will become second nature to me. Overall this will be a great training go-go-gadget when the website catches up with the rest of the functions. One other drawback is that you can't swim with it on, it's water resistant, i.e. a little sweat,  rain or Gatorade  won't kill it but,  don't submerge  the watch  or it's  toast.

Price: Happy,   Function: Good , Looks: Cool , Website: SLAM, ZAP!@#$%  They need to fix their web servers and code.

Just my 0.02 cents 

-BombBat 

2008-07-26 9:39 PM
in reply to: #1561447

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
Subject: RE: Garmin 405
I splurged on a 405 myself and I love it. I have had some issues w/ their online software but I've been able to work through it. I enjoy the ability to turn on the virtual pace partner and check my performance. Love all the data.

Great product and tool.
2008-07-28 11:45 AM
in reply to: #1561447

User image

Expert
Chenequa WI

Like you, I splurged a little on this paying more than you did through REI (with the HRM).  But, the software and website has worked great for me for (running Vista 64-bit with the software) and through Garmin Connect.  So, can't help you there.

I agree that this watch should not be used for swimming at all.  I've read in some other sites about people risking it to swim in their races, but at $300 plus - I wouldn't risk it. 

The only other drawback for me about this watch is the bezel.  I think you either like it or not.  It turns out after two months of training and racing that I don't like the bezel.  It seems to be a little twitchy for me (i.e., it sometimes lags, expecially while running) and I have had real problems changing screens when the bezel has become wet (from sweat or rain).  Your mileage may be different.

2008-07-28 9:49 PM
in reply to: #1564376

User image

Sounds to me like you are using the Training Center software vs. Garmin Connects, the web based software. I'm going to try to switch to the local application and get away from the web based tool, which is really slow.
2008-07-28 10:46 PM
in reply to: #1566203

User image

Expert
Chenequa WI
You might need to change the autotranfer in the Garmin ANT Agent to send your date to the Garmin Training Center.  I didn't have that box checked the first week and it wouldn't link up automatcally until I figured out that little nugget of information.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin 405 Rss Feed