General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So I'm a clyde and had a heart attack..where to start Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-26 4:13 PM

User image

Subject: So I'm a clyde and had a heart attack..where to start

WOW

Been lurking here and am learning.  Here is my story.

I'm 45 years old and had a heart attack 4 months ago.  They say it was mild and had a stent put in.  I used to smoke and eat like a horse.  I'm 6-3" and weigh 230.  I want to loose weight and get back into shape.  I no longer smoke and lost some weight.  I had a stress test last week to see if the ticker was holding up and the doc said I did great!  Better than before the heart attack.

I'm not even sure where to start.  I have a great bike ( trek 2.1) and have been riding casualy.  I go to cardiac rehab 3 times a week which makes me exercise in front of nurses etc.  I stay on the tread mill most of the time.  PArt of me is afraid to try to run because my fear of havin another heart attack.  The doc said "everything looks great on paper" you are fine.

Anyway, I'm ready to start and no sure where.  I want to loose some weight and maybe get below 200 lbs.  I'm not a swimmer or runner or biker.  But, I want to do this very much.

Any suggestions?  Should I get a prime membership?  Anyone have simliar story or any motivation tips.  Like I said, I have this fear that I'm broken and I hate the feeling!  I want to train..I want to try, I want to be healthy again.

Joe

2008-07-26 4:17 PM
in reply to: #1561460

User image

Subject: RE: So I'm a clyde and had a heart attack..where to start

Almost forgot to add.

I have type 2 diabetes ( just found out during the heart attack)  wooohooo..yet another hurdle.  Oh well...I WILL DO THIS !!!!!!

2008-07-26 4:26 PM

User image

Pro
Without house

Congrats on wanting to get healthy...that's one hell of a wake up call to get, I'm sure.

My recommendation would be to look at on of the couch-to plans...they have couch to 5k programs and couch to sprint programs.  They are free, and are a great place to start.  They are minute based programs, so not too hard to follow for the non-athlete.

I was going to recommend clearance from the doc, but sounds like you already have this.

Next, running shoes...get some good ones.  Go to a specialized running store to have gait analysis/shoe recommendation done.  This is a big key in preventing run injuries.

Do you have a bike?  If not, spin bike at the gym or in rehab can be a good start, and give you time to look around for a bike in your price point (whatever that may be).  It doesn't need to be fancy or expensive...it needs to have 2 wheels and be powered by you.  Craigslist and eBay are good places to check.  You will need a helmet...they are required at races, so you might as well wear one.  I know many a people who've wrecked and are alive today because they wore a helmet.

Swimming-can you do freestyle?  If you can't, it's ok...that's what lessons are for!  And you will find that there are tons of different swim strokes going on in tris...for many people, it's whatever it takes to get you from point a to point b for their first tri.

There is a search option here on BT...very helpful for the beginner...but we are more then happy to answer any questions you may have.

Just wanted to add that it is proven that losing just 10% of your body weight can help lower your risks for certain diseases.  If you can get your weight under control, who knows what will happen with the diabetes...type 2 DM (which is what I'm assuming you have) can be controlled with diet and exercise in some people...maybe you'll be one of them. 

Last thing!  Use your logs and make them public so we can inspire you!!

Edited by maggyruth 2008-07-26 4:29 PM
2008-07-26 4:44 PM

User image

made the logs public..nothing in there yet but hope to have some soon.  I gotta get a handle on this site.  Tons of info to digest.

BTW, I have been walking fast and riding my Trek 2.1 a bit.  I can walk 4.5 MPH for about an hour so I'm sure I can run    just gotta stop being a chicken about keeling over.

I ride at a 14-17 mph pace right now..Yea, I know  slow poke

2008-07-26 5:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Welcome Joe.

For clarification, did your Dr. say "Everything looks fine on paper, triathlon training sounds like a great idea"? If not, I'd start there.

Before starting one of the plans here, take it to your cardiologist and have them confirm you and your heart are ready for it. If not, they can work out a ramp up plan that will be safe for you.

If you've been given the green light, then go for it. 

2008-07-26 5:12 PM

User image

Wingsfan

Love the name    My Cardio doc said I could do whatever I want.  I play Hockey and he incouraged getting back to it.  I will come winter.  I told him the wife and I wanted to do a 70 mile bike ride a few weeks ago and he said go for it.  We did and it was a riot.

I think my biggest fear is the big H happening again.  That was zero fun I'll tell ya.

Quick question to all.  What does say regestering for a Tri as a Clyde do?  how is it different than say age group?  IS there a FAQ for all these silly questions.

I can see this site is gonna be a great tool for motivation

2008-07-26 5:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Great to hear, that eases my mind about any advice I might give.

If you look in some of the first tri/beginner articles on the site there are some faqs. However, the admins go out of their way to encourage people to actively participate in the forums rather than have a static list of information.

As for what registering as a clyde does, it means instead of your normal age group, you'll be racing against fellow big(ger) boys. For some people (and what I understand the original intent), they are very fit, but just happen to be over 200lbs due to height/muscle mass and will never be able compete against someone who weighs 50lbs less than they do.

For people like me, the clyde division was something I sought to be a temporary thing, looking to use triathlons as a motivator for getting fit. I wasn't heading to the podium no matter what division I was in, but I still signed up as a clyde as a symbol of what I was trying to do and what I shared with many of the people in this forum. At 5'9", I hope I'll never qualify as a clyde again, but I'll always feel like one at heart.

2008-07-28 11:24 AM

User image

OK

Not sure I'm seeing this right but couch to sprint has me doing 400 yards on the first day in the pool?  WOW.  But then again, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.  I gotta get at leat the silver member thing.  I saw the 400 yards on the 2 week example

Joe

2008-07-28 11:42 AM

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river

There are other programs that focus on 'time' not distance.  So instead of do 400 yards in a pool, it says to swim for 12 minutes and do drills.  Running/walking is the same way.  Once you can work out in the times, you will find that the distance will come.

Good luck, keep it up.  For me, racing is the motivator to keep working out, I just call it training instead.
2008-07-28 2:19 PM

User image

Thats awesome.  I'll have to search around for that.  Thanks for the tip

Now how the heck to I get my pic on this thing 

2008-07-28 2:39 PM

User image

Fiured out the pic thing.

Now I just need to find a place to swim here in Sterling Heights.  And No, I don't have or want a membership to lifetime fitness.  Not in the budget this year 

2008-07-28 3:05 PM
in reply to: #1565029

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river
spazdog - 2008-07-28 3:19 PM

Thats awesome. I'll have to search around for that. Thanks for the tip

All use time as a measure

Couch to 5K

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=27

or

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=26

Sprint training

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=45

Look into the Galloway method of running too (use the 'search forums' for threads).  I was doing it before I knew what it was, I just had to adjust my run/walk times and stick to it.  But it works for me.  I can run longer distances w/out feeling completely drained.

2008-07-28 3:11 PM

User image

Snowboard

Man, thanks for the info.  Got me some serious reading to do

2008-07-29 5:05 AM

New user

spazdog - 2008-07-26 11:13 PM

I used to smoke and eat like a horse.  I'm 6-3" and weigh 230.  I want to loose weight and get back into shape. 

I would venture to say that u have just listed the biggest causes for ur problems with the heart. As for concern, if your doctor says ure good to go, then why restraint urself from something new and beneficial? Running and healty lifestyle are known to promote good health, not to cause problems. I've had problems similar to urs a few yrs back. I wasnt training at the time (had a break of say 1 yr), didnt eat right, worked 14h a day in extremely cold enviroment etc...   but, I realized that the problem was in my lack of training and living healthy, not in anything else.

And here I am today, training for a tri, running, swimming, biking.... giving it all I've got. Because, there is a significantly smaller chance that something will go wrong if I train, and live healthy.. .  and if it does go that way in spite of everything, damn it then...  at least I've gave it all I have, tried my best...  I try to think positive, not negative, because - I will do this. Like someone said, there are two types of people: those that say "I can't", and those that do it and say "I can".

2008-07-29 7:37 AM

User image

meow cat

Great inspiration for sure.  Yes, I agree.  I do have an appt with a new cardoligist for a sec opinion on some issues I have been having.  If they have to do more work, so be it.  I just want a clean slate!

I'm so excited about all this

2008-07-29 7:56 AM

The Michael Pate  sprint-tri  program  starts  out  slower than the couch to sprint program does. You might want to take a look at it . For example on day 1 you swim 50yds. then cool down for 50 yds. Then you walk for 20min. Pretty easy and it ramps up week to week from there.

I am currently training for my first tri also using this program and I am heavier than you (6'3" 260lb.)  This is a great site for info and support. I have had great responses from many here regarding some of my newbie questions and fears.  Good luck and congrats on your training.

Bobby 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So I'm a clyde and had a heart attack..where to start Rss Feed