Normal breakfast
Event warmup:

Ran about a half mile slowly with a few striders thrown in
Run
  • 45m 22s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Due to being gone on a camping trip I had done no running for almost 2 weeks prior to this race. I had no idea what to expect. I was hoping my fitness from all the running I've done this year would carry over. I started out near the front and ran well, but it didn't feel like I was running fast. At the 1 mile mark my time was 6:42 - much faster than I thought. I tried to keep the strong pace going. At the 3 mile mark my time was 20:48. At mile 4 it was 28:03 - still pretty good. By mile 5 I had slowed somewhat even though I felt I was still keeping the same pace and my time was 35:32. I needed to run just under 10 minutes for a PR. At mile 6 my time was 43:08 and I knew I would have to run hard to get the PR. I finished in 45:22 and got the PR by 1 second. I really think the mile markers were misplaced because I don't think I ran the first half as fast as indicated and slowed that much in the second half. I also know it couldn't possibly have taken me 2:14 to run .2 miles at the end considering I was mostly in a full out sprint and I regularly run quarter mile laps in 1:30.
What would you do differently?:

Run substantially more in the weeks leading up to the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, got a few cups of water and waited for my wife to finish

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not training for a couple weeks.

Event comments:

IMO the Grand Prix races are good usually good courses, but the amenities are not up to the standards expected for the cost of the race. It almost seems like more attention is paid to doing things as cheaply as possible by the RD and not paying enough attention to the needs of the participants. For example - this race used chip timing, but had no starting mat, meaning the time started for everyone at the gun instead of when they crossed the start line. Refreshments at the finish were at least a hundred yards away because it was easier for them to setup at that point instead of bringing them near the finish as is done when other races are held in this location by other organizations.

Last updated: 2008-07-26 12:00 AM
Running
00:45:22 | 06.21 miles | 07m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/49
Overall: 115/646
Performance: Good
Course: Trending downhill from start to finish with a few minor rolling hills
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4