General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Turkey Tri in San Dimas on Nov 30th Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-27 9:41 AM

User image

Regular
Glendale
Subject: Turkey Tri in San Dimas on Nov 30th
Hi - I'm a new BT'er and have just signed up for the Turkey Tri sprint. This is my first tri and I'm both very excited and nervous since I've no idea what I'm doing besides the obvious i.e. swimming, running and biking. Has anyone else signed up for this tri or done it in the past? I'd love to hear from those seasoned BT'ers that have done this in the past and what I can expect.

2008-07-27 10:19 AM
in reply to: #1562289

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-07-27 11:57 AM
in reply to: #1562360

Regular
Glendale
Subject: RE: Turkey Tri in San Dimas on Nov 30th
Thank you Mixie!  I found it really helpful to read your turkey tri report.  I have ridden at Bonelli though to be fair, that was mountain biking and not road.  I'll have to check out the course on my road bike to see how it feels.  Thank you for the heads up re cold water...I'm not a fan of cold water and probably will need ear plugs for that since I've noticed cold water hurts my ears for some reason.  I'll definitely be renting a wetsuit...any suggestions as to where I can rent one? I've read there's a place down in Hermosa Beach but that's a bit of a schlep from where I live (Northwest Glendale by Montrose).  I'm an awful runner so I need to get cracking on that so I can tackle those hills...are they huge?  I can't remember considering it's been a while since I've been out to Bonelli.
2008-07-27 12:12 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by mixie 2008-07-27 12:12 PM
2008-07-27 1:00 PM
in reply to: #1562561

Regular
Glendale
I think I'll get started on the "Aggressive Couch to 5K" program then expand on that as I progress...hopefully that will help and get me into running shape by November.
2008-07-28 3:05 AM

Master
Long Beach, CA

I also did the Turkey Tri last year. I too have a race report but don't know how to put links on here. You can go to my race log and find it there. x2 on everything mixie said...

• swim is cold, probably mid to upper 50s. It is also longer than they say. They advertised a half mile swim and it was more like 2/3 or 3/4 of a mile.
  • the bike is very hilly. The uphills can be tough, but the downhills are fun and fast. Definitely check out the course ahead of time as there is this tricky part where you come down a hill, into a hairpin turn, then up a steep hill. You have to plan ahead on your gears for that one. Also, they underadvertised the bike distance at 13 I think, and my bike computer showed 15.
  • The run is run...part roads, part trail. Hate to say it...but it was advertised as 4 miles and ended up being about 4.7.

Fun race if you're prepared. I know you can rent wetsuits from wetsuitrental.com and from Triathlon Lab in Redondo, though I've never done it myself. Get one with long sleeves and I would also recommend a neoprene cap to help keep your head warm. Practice riding on hills and see the course ahead of time. You should be good to go!

2008-07-28 12:20 PM

Champion
Northridge, California
chowbisou - 2008-07-27 7:41 AM

Hi - I'm a new BT'er and have just signed up for the Turkey Tri sprint. This is my first tri and I'm both very excited and nervous since I've no idea what I'm doing besides the obvious i.e. swimming, running and biking. Has anyone else signed up for this tri or done it in the past? I'd love to hear from those seasoned BT'ers that have done this in the past and what I can expect.

Can't add to what the others have posted, since I didn't do this race last year (though I have raced at Bonelli before). But I think my wife and I will do this race this time around if we're in town. Probably won't decide until later, though. Good luck with your training! Don't hesitate to ask questions here or on the "Triathlon Talk" forum.
2008-07-28 3:54 PM

Regular
Glendale
Thank you to everyone that replied to my post, I appreciate it.  I guess I picked one heck of a tri to do for the first time ever, eh?  I figured if I did a tri "off-season" then I would be okay since I don't really do well in hot weather.  I'm sure I will be asking more questions down the road as I progress with my training plan.
2008-07-28 7:53 PM

Expert
Orange County, California
There is also the Tinsel Tri in Hemet in mid December.

Its a reverse sprint, with the run first, and the swim last. The swim is about 150 yards in a heated pool. No wetsuits needed.

The temps are usually in the mid 40's to mid 50's. and the run and bike are flat.

The run is kinda goofy, run to the end of a street, make a U turn around a traffic cone come back run down another street and do another U turn around a traffic cone, rinse repeat for 3 miles.
2008-07-29 11:59 AM
in reply to: #1565904

Regular
Glendale
Good to know...I haven't seen that one yet. Thank you for the info.
2008-08-20 3:33 AM

New user

Hi - I am also doing this sprint tri. This will also be my first but luckily i am doing it with my bro and 2 friends so we are pushing each other to do well. I was wondering if anyone had a course map.....i can't seem to find one and other then attending CSU Pomona (a couple miles away) I am not, familiar with this area

2008-09-12 5:21 PM

New user

Is it me or is the info for on the website for this tri very vague?
2008-09-23 10:43 AM

Regular
It is vague but its a fun event. The route is similar to the other bonelli races at http://www.trievents.com/site3.aspx

The only difference I think will be with the bike route. It won't cross the 57 the right turn will come where the run turn is. It would have been closer to the map for the event on 4/27 but they don't have that map anymore just the olympic course thats coming up.
2008-09-23 2:10 PM

Regular
Glendale
2008-09-24 4:21 PM

Veteran
Lakewood, CA
Does this race sell out?
2008-09-25 12:48 AM

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey first-timers! First WELCOME!

With your first race, don't worry about time....just go out and have FUN!!!!!!

I've raced this course numerous times being that it is local for me. So I'll throw this out to you! If you can all agree on a date, pick a Sunday (except for 11/16 .... Pasadena Marathon and 11/23 ....I'm doing IM AZ), and we can do a tour of the bike course. I did a recon ride with Mixie and showed her a couple of things on this course. Best way to do it is a leisure friendly ride to talk our way through it and then you go out and practice it.

As a disclaimer: I do not have any affiliation with the race organizers. The price: FREE! The experience: PRICELESS!!!!! LOL!

Let me know!

Rich M
[email protected]

2008-09-26 6:24 PM

Hi everyone.... new here... new to the sport.. or lets be honest... new to sports in general... this is gonna be my first tri and by reading your comments im pretty sure im gonna die!!! im a total athena and unfortunately got held back a little on training over the summer... i would love if someone would be willing to take me under their wing as far as maybe going through the whole bike course on a slow ride.... i have a hybrid bike...

one question for sure.... are there any time limits or can i come in dead last at 4 in the afternoon (joking.. but only a little)? oh.. another question.... i know for a fact that i cant run the distance... do ppl walk? im pretty sure im walking the whole way... do ppl do that??

anyways... if you could email me personally and maybe we can get together and ride the park.... and i might just make it through this

[email protected]

2008-09-28 6:46 PM

Master
San Diego, CA
How well organized is this race in comparison to other Bonelli races? I did one of the LA Tri series races and spectators were roaming in around in transition, I even saw a small child nearly taken out because the transition was wide open. I was considering doing this one as a late season tri. Is it worth giving it a shot?
2008-09-28 10:46 PM
in reply to: #1699964

Master
Long Beach, CA
jenntrijenn - 2008-09-26 4:24 PM

Hi everyone.... new here... new to the sport.. or lets be honest... new to sports in general... this is gonna be my first tri and by reading your comments im pretty sure im gonna die!!! im a total athena and unfortunately got held back a little on training over the summer... i would love if someone would be willing to take me under their wing as far as maybe going through the whole bike course on a slow ride.... i have a hybrid bike...

one question for sure.... are there any time limits or can i come in dead last at 4 in the afternoon (joking.. but only a little)? oh.. another question.... i know for a fact that i cant run the distance... do ppl walk? im pretty sure im walking the whole way... do ppl do that??

anyways... if you could email me personally and maybe we can get together and ride the park.... and i might just make it through this

[email protected]

Please don't worry too much about this race. I did it as a super-duper-athena. I made it through the first bike loop, but had to get off my bike three times on the second loop. I was definitely not the only one walking their bike. People were nothing but supportive to me. On the run, I had my worst run ever. Despite having a heel spur and plantar fasciatis and against my doctor's recommendation, I did this race. After the first half mile I was in so much pain it hurt to walk. I stopped several times to sit down and massage my foot. I walked without a shoe on my left foot for a while. One of the miles took me 24 minutes. That race took me 3.5 hours...and I still wasn't last! Two people came in after me! So, there are no time cut offs and it's okay to be slow...even super slow. Just get out there and have fun. It is a neat, little race. Also, it is beautiful. Everything around there is pretty.

I doubt I'll get out to San Dimas before November. If I did for any reason, I'd let you know!

2008-09-29 2:48 PM

oh thank god... i thought i might die out there... i mean... id still do it, but i figured i would just die... ive been on top of my training for the last few days so i feel like im getting back in the swing of things...

ohhh.. anyone got any ideas on how to make the butt hurt less after a ride... like can i ice it or something????

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Turkey Tri in San Dimas on Nov 30th Rss Feed