Odessa Family YMCA
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 38m 3s
Overall Rank = 39/47
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/5
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 0500, prepared two pieces of toast w/ PB. Took care of mother nature. Put my bag and bike into the car around 0600 and headed to the venue at 0615. Arrived at the venue at 0645. The transition was open racking and open to the public (never seen this before) with a one line rack for the bikes. I selected a noticeable One Way sign, racked her up and set out my spread. Since this was a reverse setup I slipped on my running shoes and sunglasses (forgot my hat, so I reall smelled of sunblock). Attended the pre-race meeting and listened to the RD and Head Referee. I did learn something today about "positional penalities", no I didn't get one just listening to the Head Refree. Headed out to the start line and waited about 2 minutes before the start.

Event warmup:

Walked for three minutes and jogged for three. Performed my usual stretch routine.
Swim
  • 11m 24s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

The pool used was the UTPB outdoor heated pool. Getting in did not noticeably increase my heart rate.
The swim was snake format with the first and last lanes being two lanes wide. Each down and back was in the same lane. I forgot this (being used to my two previous snake swims which were one-way in each lane) and was passing someone when I hit a lady head on. I said "Oops, wrong way" and she jumped all over me. Sorry if you are reading this.
I passed a buy which had been my rabbit through the run and bike. After passing him I held up at the wall and let him pass again, but I was passing him again within 15yds. By the end the gap between us was almost 75yds.
Having come in from the bike I was a little winded so at 200yds I changed to a small breaststroke for 15yds, an dagain at 350yds for 25yds. The last swtich got me to the end with a real strong finish!
Upon leaving the pool we were handed a note card with our overall finishing position. This was taken to a person under the tarps where they wrote down our name, bib number and age.
Not too bad of a swim. Since I probably will not be doing reverse triathlons often I am not going to worry about doing bike/swim bricks.
What would you do differently?:

Realize that the swim was both directions in one narrow lane
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

I am beginng to dislike my lace up shoes. Running shoes and helmet went on with no problems. I decided to forgo the cycling gloves since this was such a short race.

Get some latch or velcro closure cycling shoes.
Bike
  • 48m
  • 12.87 miles
  • 16.09 mile/hr
Comments:

I was cursing the f***ing headwind for the first six miles. Had a hard time getting over 13.0mph on part of this.
I pushed it hard going up the overpass the first time and my legs screamed a little for the next mile and a half or so.
Once I turned onto Baird road I was able to increase my speed greately and I think averaged over 17.0mph on the way back (with an awesome tailwind).
At mile 9 my cyclometer sensor on the front wheel worked it's way loose and began hitting the spokes. I tried to get it out, but couldn't get it to stay put. Thank goodness it ended up sliding down between the fork and axel lever so it stayed out of the spokes.

Ride the blasted course before hand if I can.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Threw of my cycling shoes, grabbed my goggles and headed to the pool. Not too much going on here. Though there was another participtant (already completed the race) that was slowly walking right in front of my transition area when I ran up. He was going so slow that I yelled "Coming through" to him. But he stopped right in front og my transition area and I had to get rude with him by saying "Get out the f***ing way, I'm still racing.". He moved over enough for me but was lingering so I thought he was going to bitch at me, but he apologized for being the way. If he hadn't said anything and/or had interfered with me was I prepared to file a protest for interference. But all was well.

Nothing
Run
  • 33m 53s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 10m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off with an awesome pace, but the sub 10:00 is not for me right now. The course was pretty well marked, but in the pre-race meeting we were told it was an out and back course. Well, the volunteers forgot to tell us to turn around, but we only ended up doing 25yds or so extra (according to the RD), but an extra .10mi according to my GPS and other's.
I ran most of the last 3/4mi with a lady and we had a great conversation coming in.

Nothing I can think of.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around bit and stretched my achilles. Grabbed some G2 and an apple.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The temperature to some extent. Having the run first was new experience so I was not sure how long it would take to get my bike legs. I was pushing hard coming in on the bike so my HR was a little high going into the swim. I had to use a small breaststroke to get my HR down.

Event comments:

It did not take very long to tabulate the final results. Though the RD had some issues with announcing the winners. He first gave out the "M35-49" awards, and continued for next couple of groups to tell us it was for AG of greater then 5 years. After doing this three times three of us spoke up since USAT only recgonizes the five year range age groups. Everything got sorted out in the end.

AND THE BIG SURPRISE...I CAME HOME WITH SOME HARDWARE!!!!!!!! THIRD IN MY AG. I also had a PR beating my previous by 0:01:44 (and this had some longer distances!)

I know that this was a small tri but it still means a lot.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-05-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:24 | 500 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 40/47
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot tri-shorts and zoot tank top
Course: Pool Swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:48:00 | 12.87 miles | 16.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 42/47
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: T1 south, right on Campus Drive, left on University Way, left on University St, right on Loop 338, left on Baird Road (turnaround after 1.0mi) and reverse course back. University and Campus streets were all in the city, Loop 338 took us over Business Hwy 20 and under I-20. The shoulders on Loop 338 sucked.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average