General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
West Windsor, New Jersey
United States
CGI Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 40m 13s
Overall Rank = 869/1027
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 58/63
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 4:00 on the nose, and the first thing I thought was that I did not want to race today. Doesn't bode well for the event when I feel malaise before the feet are even on the floor. Drank a Bolthouse fruit smoothie, half a protein bar, and a banana along with at least 24 oz water and brewed coffee for Heather, who I let sleep until 4:45. Packed everything up and headed over to the Park at 5:25 to get there when transition opened at 5:45. There was already a massive traffic jam, which surprised me as last year we got in with no traffic at the same time. Got marked up and headed into transition. Ended up close to the Bike out/Bike in, which I wasn't happy about - meant I would have to cover a lot of pavement in bare feet after the swim, and I'm a massive tenderfoot. Made some conversation with my nearby triathletes. I have to say, generally speaking, triathletes are the nicest people - always have a smile and a word of encouragement or a pointer. It's really overwhelming at times.
Event warmup:

Ate another banana and made my way to the swim, did about 100m - out to one of the kayaks and back to shore. Had Heather pull my shoulders to stretch them out. Spent most of the dead time between the warm up and waiting for the opening gun trying to get my head on straight after the early-morning malaise. Got choked up during the national anthem like I always do before a tri. Waded out to the start and ended up treading water waiting for the opening gun.
Swim
  • 12m 50s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was the first time I experienced one, but I can safely say I hate treading starts. Didn't have the typical panic that usually sets in at the beginning of an open water swim, but still had some - especially when I got a mouthful of water. The swim waves were much larger than last year, and there was a good deal of bumping. One guy was about three inches from hitting my goggles from my face, which would have been a nightmare. Had a good deal of trouble sighting for about 100m in the middle - kept pulling left, which was a new one for me, but was able to fix that. Towards the last 200m my shoulders really started feeling fatigue - I did what I could to focus on pulling with my lats as opposed to using the arms, which has always been a chronic issue with me.
What would you do differently?:

There isn't much else I can do, really. I need to swim more, and I need to focus on pulling through the water with my back rather than my arms. I need to do more OWS - I just wish the closest one wasn't 90 minutes from my house. That being said, the time was better than last year.
Transition 1
  • 04m 25s
Comments:

Not upset with this - however, the only reason I'm giving myself an average as opposed to bad would be that a good two to three minutes of this was me gimping my way across the pavement to my bike, which was waaaaayyyy far away from the swim in. Got everything on quickly when I finally got there - I'd say it took less than a minute once I actually reached my bike - and ran out of transition with my bike, turning on the Garmin as I hit the timing mat. My feet are still sore as I type this 8 hours later.

Are aquasox legal? No? Well, then, start walking around barefoot everywhere to toughen up the soles. Otherwise, run through transition is risking problems during the run.
Bike
  • 40m 6s
  • 11.5 miles
  • 17.21 mile/hr
Comments:

Hit the bike and had a little bit of trouble keeping my wind for the first few minutes, but that went away before I left the park. It looked like a few people blew tires and/or had a dustup about a mile or two into the ride - few people walking their bikes back, someone trying to change a tire a little further down. Once I got my wind back, threw it into the big ring and kept it there. Was glad I had the Garmin to make sure I wasn't lollygagging. Peaked at about 24 mph, lowest was 13.5 going up one of the gradual inclines.

Had to drop my handlebars last night to make sure I wouldn't shimmy, and my lower back paid for it. In the last two or three miles of the ride, it started flaring up, and I had pain radiating down my left leg - meaning something was pinched - but no reason to stop, would just stand up on the pedals for five or ten seconds, get relief, get back down, and move. Was starting to get tired until I saw everyone cheering about a third of a mile from the dismount area and started mashing - ended up hitting 25 mph about 100 yards from the dismount zone. Felt pretty good getting off the bike and jogged with the bike up the hill to the bike in. Had 2 shot bloks and a little water on the ride. This would be a problem later.

Aside from keeping hydrated, nothing. Very pleased with the pace - again, faster than last year. I think the only way to get faster - aside from riding more - is to get a better bike and get streamlined.
Transition 2
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

Was one of the last ones in from my rack - meaning there was no room. Ended up moving one of the other bikes over so I could rack - this took a minute. Shoes were on quickly, almost forgot to take my helmet off before leaving.

Honestly, nothing, aside from run through transition. I'm going to have to get tri bike shoes and practice moving dismounts if I want to get faster.
Run
  • 40m 26s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 13m  min/mile
Comments:

Anyone who's read my training log knows I don't like running, and I'm not a good runner. The first mile was probably the worst - I just lost all of my steam from the bike as soon as I left transition, both mentally and physically, even after the bricks I had been doing lately. I don't know if I looked too far ahead (as in crap, I still have this 5k to do), or what, but mentally I tanked. My legs were on fire, either from something being pinched on the ride or just a lactic acid buildup, and I just couldn't keep moving, no matter how hard I tried. I grabbed an ice rag at the first aid station, which helped. The second mile was better, and the third was the best, spending most of it running, and gave everything I had to get through the finish. I think the run yesterday may have actually hurt rather than helped. This was not better than last year.

Hydrate more on the bike - when I'm panting like a dog on the run, I can't drink fluids. Also, running the day before is a bad idea - never know until you try, I guess. I also talked to one of the nutritionists at the triathlon, and based on the conversation, I'm going to work on taking in electrolytes during races and bricks. My run posture and stride are a train wreck, and I need someone to evaluate it.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched for a while, which was the first time I did that after a race (I know, I'm a dork), had a coke and a pretzel, tried to relax - the first ten minutes after a tri I'm still in my head. Walked around for a bit, waited for the preliminary results.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The run kills me. Don't get me wrong, my swim isn't phenominal and my bike definitely won't get me any sponsorships, but the run kills me. Getting down to even 11 1/2 minute miles would do wonders for my time and my self-esteem. I'm going to have to run more, and look into a coach at this point, because after a year of running - granted, not like I'm training for an ultramarathon, but I've run more in the past 18 months than I have my entire life - I'm not getting faster, so I need help.

Event comments:

I love the NJ State. It's a phenominal race, extremely well organized, and worth the trip. CGI does a great job.

Last updated: 2008-02-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:50 | 500 meters | 02m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/63
Overall: 0/1027
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri shorts
Course: Out to buoy on an angle from shore, turn, head straight in to the boat dock.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:25
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:06 | 11.5 miles | 17.21 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: One loop on open roads around the outside of the Park.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:30
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:40:26 | 03.11 miles | 13m  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-07-27 4:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania
Subject: New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2008-07-27 6:43 PM
in reply to: #1562900

User image

Subject: RE: New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Congrats on improving on the swim and bike.  Get your running in place, and you can rock this next year.  100% agree on the swim being crowded and lots of bumping, threw me off my game plan as well.
2008-07-27 7:23 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Great job out there and x2 on the swim. When it got crowded and bumpy I got thrown off and it takes me forever to get back to it.
2008-07-27 7:31 PM

User image

Cherryville, PA
improved on 2 out of 3 events, gotta like that. Great job.

2008-07-28 8:56 AM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA

Uhhh, can you say PR?  Great job, beat last years time by over 7:30, that's not just breaking a PR it is shattering a PR.  Good job on improving the swim, bike and keep in mind that you only added 26 seconds to your run, that's really nothing for a 5k.

This makes for a good warm-up for next week. 

great job!

2008-07-28 9:46 AM

Regular
Philadelphia, Pa
Congratulations on the improvement, it really was a great race.

2008-07-28 10:14 AM

User image

Congrats on the PR's! Way to get yourself motivated. I never realized how tough it would be mentally.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed