General Discussion Race Reports! » Charlottesville International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Charlottesville International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Charlottesville, Virginia
United States
Charlottesville Triathlon Club
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 32m 58s
Overall Rank = 48/210
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 12/26
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:45 - took shower and fixed something to eat. I had a WW Bagel with peanut butter, and 3 packs of cinn./spice oatmeal, two bottles of water and a banana. Got dressed for the race packed up the car and loaded the bikes and we were off to the race at 5:45. A little later then we were hoping for but we arrived at the race site at 6:25.
We found a transition space down by the entrance from the swim leg. Dan and I set up next to one another and then went to check-in, pick up our packet and get marked up. I had to run back and get my ID because you needed that and the USAT card. Once I chacked in I went back and went organized a few things but then attempted to go to the bathroom...it was a nightmare and took forever. I waited over a half an hour and that took away from my prep time in the transition area....I'll explain that as I go!
I grabbed my cap and goggles and headed down to the water. I was able to catch up with Dan briefly before he had to enter the water with the 1st wave. I didn't warm-up because they asked everyone to exit the water when the first group went off. I was to go off in the 3rd wave approx. 8 minutes later.

Swim
  • 23m 34s
  • 1584 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started out the swim at a pretty quick pace in an attempt to seperate from some of the others members of my group. My breathing and stroke were not particularly strong throughout most of the first lap after the first 100-150. I was able to gain some seperation from a majority of the swimmers however, I eventually ran into another wave of swimmers which forced me to break up my swim a bit as I sorted through the bodies. I felt like my 2nd lap was better and I was able to concentrate on my stroke a bit more once I got some seperation.
I had some water in the right side of my goggles but it wasn't bad enough to stop and adjust them.
What would you do differently?:

First off I am going to continue to improve my training and learn ho to better improve my breathing in combination with stroke and kick....especially the kick piece. Watching the best swimmer there I was able to observe some good technique that may help in the future.
I still need to be more conscious about doing my work under the water and even more importantly incorporating a more consistent kick!!!
Transition 1
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

My T1 time may say 1:33 but it was actually worse because I was not prepared. I had to get gel packets out of my bag, I didn't know where to put them and that led to not getting my gloves on until I was on the bike which was extremely difficult. I finally got them on and tucked a gel packet in between my areo bars and computer while drinking the other.

I need to have a better system where I am in my shoes(possibly after washing them), helmet on and gloves on running my bike out the transition gate and then jumping on my bike and clicking in with momentum. I tried to click one shoe in and it wasn't happening.
Maybe I should actually practice this...who knows it may help!!
Bike
  • 1h 13m 16s
  • 23.5 miles
  • 19.24 mile/hr
Comments:

Biggest disappointment was that I lost my gel packet when I rode over the bridge a few miles in to it. Again, it goes back to poor preparation out of the transition area and pre-race routine!!!
I felt like I did a much better job changing gears and working a higher candence paying particular attention to the hills. I stayed in my seat as often as possible on the climbs however, I did raise up once in awhile because I felt I needed the boost.
Overall, I am pleased with my ride especially with the way I finished. I was able to catch and pass the pack of 4-5 riders who were in front of me for the majority of the race, some because they had passed me early on.
I think my bike piece will only continue to improve the more often I am out riding and becoming more comfortable.

Besides buying a top of the line Tri bike I would inflate may tires prior to the race, which again goes directly to pre-race routine, an area that I need to improve drastically. I felt as though my back tire was low. I would also drink on a more consistent basis - maybe every 3-4 miles. Obviously, I would have taken the gel packet in the middle if I had it but I would also take another as I was finishing the bike in order to prevent me from having to do one during the run...I'll touch on that in the run piece.
Transition 2
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

I still take too long racking my bike...I need to just throw it up there and get on with the process. My socks were still in my bag which delayed me a bit and I took to long getting another gel packet out of my bag for the run. As I said before I think I need to take the gel packet at the end of the bike piece to prevent from even worrying about the thing here.
Socks an shoes needs to be quicker!!!

Rack the bike quicker and get into shoes and socks quicker - - then get out!!!
Obviously, organize things better prior to the race!
Run
  • 52m 47s
  • 6 miles
  • 08m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

I was not prepared for the run at all. I had no idea it was going to be such a difficult course. Obviously, the training we had done was on roads and this was anything but a smooth surface. I was never really able to get a good rhythm going or any sort of candence because you are constantly hopping, skipping and jumping looking for your next step - extremely mentally difficult...not to mention we ran the loop twice. Obviously I am disappointed in my time on paper but considering the course and it being my first time competing at the Olympic distance I am pleased with getting a pretty good baseline from whick to work.

Not run this trail run again!
Post race
Warm down:

Drank fluids and ate but I definitely didn't stretch enough and I can feel it today!

Event comments:

Aside from the run I thought it was good! I do think they need to do something about the swim because people were cutting corners and not going around the outer most bouy.

Last updated: 2007-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:34 | 1584 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/26
Overall: 30/210
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri-suit
Course: 2 laps around the course in the lake.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:33
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:13:16 | 23.5 miles | 19.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/26
Overall: 44/210
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: I thought it was a great course however, it was definitely more hilly then Dan an I thought when we drove it the night before. Pretty smooth roads aside from some patchwork and the bridges. Some great descents and I was actually up over 43 mph at one point which was great.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:50
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:52:47 | 06 miles | 08m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/26
Overall: 57/210
Performance: Bad
Course: A very difficult trail run that consisted of two laps. It was extremely rough terrain that was not conducive to having a good run.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-27 8:08 PM

User image

Subject: Charlottesville International Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Charlottesville International Triathlon Rss Feed