80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 30m 5s
Overall Rank = 27/140
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/19
Pre-race routine:

registered 7/13/8 - Thanks in-Laws for agreeing to take the boys that morning

The family started with a Great Saturday at the races for WIll. He did the children's race - 5-6 yr old. Mommy chased him around and daddy volunteered with Luke in the back pack. Really a blast. I stayed to coontinue volunteering while they went home. I biked it home the 21.5 miles on easy.

We stayed at Jeanne's sisters house - thanks again for watching our boys. we slept in the basement so Jeanne and I could leave by 5am, well it ended up being 5:30. I had 4 endurolytes and a Torch pre-burn. The ceremonial PopTart as always. We drove to the site and set up. We met up with lots of people we knew and off to the beach
Event warmup:

Jeanne did a warmup swim, I ran around to figure things out. So it was cold turkey into the water. I really had to pee at this time but di not, thought I could in the water
Swim
  • 29m 46s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my worst swim yet. I had nothing. I felt it at first. The gun went and we all dove in. I sprinted out a bit harder than normal, I wanted to stay on the heels of the elites, it worked for about 200 yds or so. Then the wall started to hit. I could hold on to a few people, but just did not have anyooomph to the pull. I felt like garbage after about 500 yds. So I tried to draft as much as possible to gain some help.

It did help for about 3/4 lap. but then I could not even hold up to the leader. I just dropped off and tried to hold it together for the last 600 yds. It was laborious and quite horrible.
What would you do differently?:

Overall I finished OK, but this was definitely below average. BUT, that is what I get when I BIKE focus for 5 weeks with minimal swim time. I should have expected this time, so right now I am satisfied , but not happy.
Transition 1
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

Came into transition feeling alright, not real proud about my swim, THEN, the wetsuit strap was stuck on my watch and I could not get him undone right. That took time, I could not decide on anything - I was a putz!!

Spent too much time deciding on gloves or not - I just need to bar end wrap my bars so I do not worry about slipping. The time here will come back to haunt me at the end. . .
Bike
  • 1h 05m 35s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.73 mile/hr
Comments:

AWESOME!! I really nailed this ride. The crazy thing is I think I could have gone FASTER. There were points I could have pushed a bit more, a little better preparation for when to rock the gears, and just hit it more. The course was fun. Truly a TT type course. It was very flat - ~500' climb with big straight aways. The only turn around cam eon Hwy N, but was short - uphill slightly to the turn and then down into the course. Well placed I would say.

There were people who complained that they did not see the course markers for turns for sprint versus supersprint versus 2nd loop Oly - they were clear as day to me and I rode the course for the first time on race day. Just need to study maps a little to understand them.

Not much - maybe guage my bursts more and know the course a little better so i know when to burst.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Good T2 - felt quick. I ran in , racked changed and was out quick. Not much to change here.

Really nothing - oh yeah,. take out my mouthguard
Run
  • 51m 9s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Wow!! Who is that masked man. I ran a sub 8:20m/m pace, and FOR 6 MILES. I do not typically do this. Unreal. I guess the flat helped and I wanted to stay ahead of my competition. I came out knowing that there were all clydes behind me but one. I kept tabs for time at turn arounds. He was about 2 minutes ahead of me and I really never catch people on the chase. But I did see 3 competitors and noticed I had 4-8 minuts on them. So the goal was to stay up on them as much as possible.

I did get to see many of my friends out there. Good Job to all. It was hot and I needed a bit more hydration.

The best was seeing Jeanne running. She was about 2 minutes ahead of me - her on her first loop, me on my second. I caught her at the turn around - she was heading out and I was done. She had a great race too.

Maybe push harder. I do not know, I really never run this fast to start with.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, should have stretched more. Talked to many people and had some food n drink

What limited your ability to perform faster:

All this came back to bite me later. The reason I did not break 2:30 is T1. I am so used to coming in and preparing for a long day, that I mentally was not prepared for a shorter event

Event comments:

Great Race and loads of fun. Looking forward to next year.

Last updated: 2008-07-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:46 | 1640 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 40/140
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: 2 loops with pair of tails one out to loop and one in.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:15
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:05:35 | 24.85 miles | 22.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/19
Overall: 10/140
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Eight shape with double on the fat end. Had a little turn around on N which I think was placed well
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:51:09 | 06.21 miles | 08m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 0/140
Performance: Good
Course: 2 loops of out and back on a flat course Quite nice to run a flat for once!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-27 8:16 PM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Subject: Tri-ing for Children's

2008-07-30 9:16 AM
in reply to: #1563197

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Tri-ing for Children's

I noticed the swim time.  That isn't like you.  Wha' happened?  Other than that, everything else looked pretty good!  Glad you had a great day.

Hmmmmm, not quite finished with the report yet, or leaving a "cliff-hanger" and wanting us to come back to the "same bat time, same bat station"?

2008-07-30 11:24 AM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Looks like a pretty great race to me. I'd sure take that bike split any day. Great race and great job helping to organize that sucker!
2008-08-05 11:17 AM

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI
Great race and it sounded like the event went off really well.  I hope they stay at that venue now for good so I can hit it next year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri-ing for Children's Rss Feed