Aurora, Colorado
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 03m 5s
Overall Rank = 7/20
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Well the alarm was set for 5am but I was awake around 4am. What a bummer, but you deal with these things. Once I was moving around I finished packing the vehicle (with bikes, bags, etc), ate an odwalla bar (crunchy peanut something or another), and left for the race. Since it was first come first serve for the transition area (can we say free for all), Laura and I wanted to get there while there was still spots to chose from. We positioned ourselves in front of the in gate that way we were right there when we entered. It worked out well I think.
Event warmup:

While waiting for the race to start I participated in the usual pre-race panter, stretched, and ate a banana. I anticipate races too much and make myself really nervous so this time I tried not to really think about it. That helped, since the last duathlon I did I made myself so nervous that I threw up prior to the race (and of course it was right as someone walked up to ask me a question, isn't that always the way).
Run
  • 31m 52s
  • 4 miles
  • 07m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Tried to keep an easy pace and reserve some energy for the later run. The overall course and pace was well. I could have pushed much harder at this point, but ultimatly wanted to finish the darn thing.
What would you do differently?:

At this point in the race all was going well and nothing really needs to be changed.
Transition 1
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Smooth transition, considering I had to set up the running gear for the final leg of the race. I felt as if I was moving much slower, so I am very happy with that time.

I need to buy road biking shoes. I have a good pair of mtn biking shoes, but I think the change will make it easier for transitions. Also consider having a second pair of running shoes so I don't have to set up the shoes for the second run.
Bike
  • 50m 13s
  • 14 miles
  • 16.73 mile/hr
Comments:

Road well, but kept getting stuck behind really slow people, which isn't a big deal, but since it was open to traffic there was times that I had to wait for the car to finish passing so I could pass the rider.

Get more longer rides in. That all I can say, more time on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s

Buy speed laces so I don't have to take the time tieing my shoes, overall a good transition (for me anyways)
Run
  • 37m 46s
  • 4 miles
  • 09m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

The temp raised up a lot from the earlier run, so I decided to run with a bottle of water (though warm), to try and keep hydrated. I had to drop my pace considerably from the earlier run, and continue to drop the pace while running. My body wanted to walk, but I choose to just slow down. Though I had a bottle of water and there was 2 water stations which you passed each twice, it was difficult for me to stay cool and hydrated.

Need to get more brick training sessions in. Ensure that I am much better hydrated starting the race. After running other endurance races you would think that I would learn my lesson on this one eventually.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a little, tried to keep from getting sick, walked around some more, and finally got some food and drink after taking my equipment to the vehicle. Once my body temp dropped I sat down and stretched my legs out and found a place wait and see if I would win the bike raffle (which I did not).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough training in the right conditions (hotter days, bricks, ect). All things that I can easily fix, with the right mindset. Overall a good effort and race for the time that I put into it to get ready.

Event comments:

Overall a well run race. My only complaint is that the transition area was a cluster since there was nothing assigned. There where sections with lots of space and others where there were entirly to many bikes on the racks. This didn't really effect me, but others were cramped due to this oversight.

Last updated: 2008-07-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:31:52 | 04 miles | 07m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 0/20
Performance: Good
Course: Nice out and back loop. It started in the Aurora Res parking lot, traveled down to the the edge of the water and followed it for awhile. It was nice, but since I knew it was going to be the same course later on, I tried not to overdue it. Very flat course, just a slight incline in the beginning and end, but nothing that horrible.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:20
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:50:13 | 14 miles | 16.73 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Like the run course it was out and back. There was some rolling hills, which I counted on seeing. The route was nice, but I didn't realize that I had the wind to my back on the way out til I turned around and had to fight against it for the return.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:37:46 | 04 miles | 09m 26s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Same as above only much hotter out.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes