United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 24m 29s
Overall Rank = 101/266
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/17
Pre-race routine:

Pre-race dinner - fish tacos with cabbage salsa (my favorite, yummy!)
Woke up at 5:30a, quick hose down in the shower.
Ate 1 Clif Bar and a banana before leaving the house, then 1 Clif Shot (mocha) 20 minutes before the race start.
It was 73 degrees at 6:30 am which was a bit warmer than I expected.
By race start it was probably 75+ degrees and humid.
Event warmup:

Walk to and from event check-in. Met Cindy and the kids and walked with them a bit. Hit the porta potty. Then light jog and stretch. Didn't know if I needed to do anything else.
Run
  • 24m 29s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I entered this race with 3 goals - break 24 minutes, top 5 AG, and top 100 overall. I thought they would be realistic knowing it was a small local race and my knowledge of previous times. I realized it was my first race and my training just started with the recovery/rehab from the ankle injury. My pacing plan for the race was 8:00/7:30/7-7:30 splits, then let it rip coming home.

I was pleasantly surprised with myself at the start of the race. I was not nervous or anxious. I realized this is a distance I run all the time and it wouldn't be an issue of finishing. I welcomed the support of my family and neighbors at the start. I worried I would be overly competitive with others instead of working towards my individual goals.

When the gun went off, I was front middle pack with Ed. I found a nice little pocket to run without distraction. Saw Cindy and the kids cheering which was nice. The first 1/2 mile was relaxed and conversational with Ed not realizing our pace. We hit the first split at 7:02, and I realized I went out too fast and was already off my pace plan for the race. There was a small incline on the back end of the first loop, and it got me. Ed and the pack dropped me, and I was in no man's land.

The second mile was a struggle physically and mentally. The nerves were coming alive, and was realizing I may not come close to my set goals. I saw Cindy and the kids on Main Street as I started the second loop. Again, it was nice to see them. Brady was cheering so loud. But I was struggling and dying to see the 2nd mile marker. It seemed like an eternity before I hit the second split. I finally hit the second split and saw my time. I had dropped from a 7:02 mile to a 8:30+ mile. At least I was on the second loop and knew the rest of the course.

On the third mile, I was able to settle down, get the heart rate and nerves settled, and get pack on pace. I knew the slow second mile meant I had fuel in the tank to knock it up on this last mile. Hit the third mile split with a better time and pace. Saw the 23:50x and knew the primary goal would have to wait until the next race, but breaking 25 minutes was easily accomplished. The last 1/4 mile was a gradual uphill along Snow in front of the library. Kicked it up, and headed for the chute. Finished 24:29. Ed was there and congratulated me (huge props to him). Then I saw Cindy and the kids. They were all excited for the accomplishment, regardless of the time.
What would you do differently?:

Keep with the game plan and pace better. I think this will happen with experience. I got caught up in the event. I realize this is a small local 5k, but it is the first time I have ever participated in a timed road race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked with the kids and Cindy through the Corn Boil and back to the car. Grabbed some water, then went home for a big pancake breakfast.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1. Got caught up in the excitement of being in my first race, and I went out too fast for this race.
2. The nerves and anxiety kicked in the second mile when I realized I couldn't keep with that pace and may not accomplish goals.
3. Lack of speedwork.

Event comments:

Didn't reach my goals this race, but was very close. I figure my goals were a bit ambitious, but realistic. Didn't meet my goals/expectations for this race, but I am proud of myself for running a race and being realistic about where I am currently at with my exercise/training. This was my first road race and the first competitive event since the fractured ankle.

The bad:
Poor pacing (hopefully will come with experience, I need to learn negative splits)
Anxiety the second mile (again, will decrease with experience)

The good:
I signed up for a race and followed through
Full recovery from a major ankle injury
First mile split (although fast for this race) shows 7 minute miles are again possible for me
Good mental and physical recovery the third mile with a terrific kick coming home
Had realistic goals and expectations for my first race (didn't meet goals, but I was right there, and would have accomplished all of them with a better 2nd mile)
Physical recovery was better than expected which proves to me that my running is paying off (my resting heart rate was back to baseline within minutes)
Motivated to run another race and practice what I have learned from this experience
Motivated to set an example for my family

To do:
More base mileage - will come with more running and training
Start speedwork
Lose 10-15# and get to a race weight (back to 170-175#)

Last updated: 2008-05-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:29 | 03.11 miles | 07m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/17
Overall: 101/266
Performance: Average
1st mile - 7:02 2nd mile - 15:4x 3rd mile - 23:5x Finish - 24:29.2
Course: Flat 2 loop race through resendential area near downtown Sugar Grove. Start heading west on Maple and finish in front of the old library. Wrap around Main Street on the loop. Small uphill finish the last 1/4 mile.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes