Tiburon, California
United States
Tiburon Fire Department
Total Time = 1h 06m 31s
Overall Rank = 120/312
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up before my alarm. Ate an Uncrustable and had a bottle of water. Got dressed and headed down to the race. Ouch my crotch was not happy to be on a bike with the weight of my gear.
Event warmup:

Nothing other than riding about .5 miles down to transition. when I checked in and got my swim cap I was thrilled to get a green cap....almost every tri I am in I get a yellow cap! I got a green one, yippee, my favorite color too.
Swim
  • 13m 55s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

First time swimming in the Bay this year, Have not even put my wetsuit on in over a year! Jumped in for the start...wow, COLD!!! Waves started about 3 minutes apart. Once i was in the water I just wanted them to start, too cold waiting in the water! First few yards were really tough, it was a shock to even put my face in the cold water. Eventually my body adjusted and I was able to put my face in, but I felt like I was losing my breath, ugg cold water! During the swim, I kept thinking about my bike, I really wanted out of the water. I passed about 3 people on the swim, this NEVER happens! I kept telling myself how happy I was that my IM swim will not be in a wetsuit, I am just not happy in a wetsuit. Yes I am that consumed by IM, that even during a sprint race, I am thinking about IMKY.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I should have done at lease 1 bay/wetsuit swim prior to the race, but no biggie. I was faster this year than last by over 30 seconds. I'm happy about that. The only thing different, eventually become a fast swimmer, dont know if that will ever happen, but a girl can dream :)
Transition 1
  • 03m 41s
Comments:

T1 is a bit long as the it is about 2 blocks or so from the water. Running on the street barefoot is not fun or fast. It was great to see soooo many bikes still there! I was the first person on my rack to take-off!

Nothing, looking at the time for others in T1, I was pretty fast considering.
Bike
  • 31m 23s
  • 9 miles
  • 17.21 mile/hr
Comments:

Was thrilled to get out of the water, but my saddle sores was not happy about being on a bike. Had some headwind, but not as bad as it can be on this course. During the race this guy and I kept passing and repassing eachother. He had these skinny "runner legs" and I know he would crush me on the run. Passed a few people and got passed by a bunch. This course had tons of switchbacks, rollers and gravel surface. I ride the breaks on this course a fair amount, it just makes me nervouse with the crummy surface, plus the last thing I wanted was a crash prior to IM.

There were a few kids on the course and as I passed them I was say, "great job!". After I would say something ot the kids, others would say something to them too. Geez, people the kid is 9 years old, pump him up and give him a positive cheer!

Sores were hurting and but I kept pushing through it. Did not look at my watch during the bike just kept cadence up and thought about getting off my bike as fast as possible. Wound up coming into T2 with the guy that I had passing/repassing.

NOt have saddle sores and maybe not have ridden a hilly course the day before, quads were a bit tight. Overall very happy with my time, last year average pace was 14.67 MPH on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

Got into T2 feelign pretty good. Racked my bike and debated for 1 second about socks/no socks....f-k it, no socks won! Once again I got to be the first bike back on my rack, ahh the little things that make me happy :)

Leave my sneakers tied and just slip them on.
Run
  • 16m 32s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt good on the run, no tummy issues and of course my saddle sores are yelling "thank you for getting off the bike!" I look down at my watch and see 50 minutes! Wow, I'f I do these 2 miles in under 20 minutes, I can PR the course!! Decided to not look at my watch again for a while, did not want to push myself into an uncomfortable place and get injured, once again IMKY looming in my mind.

I felt like I was going at a good pace for me, but kept getting passed. WTF...is everyone a fast runner but me? Once again I would yell "great job" to the kids on the course and thank you to the volunteers....I'm still amazed that I was the only person saying anything! At least after peeople heard me they would say some encouraging words to the kids.

I kept telling myself, "run your race" and "the next time you cross the finish line of a race, you will be an Ironman". Hmm is this healthy to be so mentally obsessed with IM? Did not look down at my watch until I crossed the finish line, was thrilled to see less time on my watch than last year!

Nothing, this was a good run for me. Shaved close to a minute off of my run from last year. I'm really impressed, because I've been training for long distance and not speed. Hmm, what would my race have been like if I had been speed training??
Post race
Warm down:

Talked to Phil from my tri club, Scott from BT and Tracey from eCycling. Tracey gave me the run-down of IMLP, and said she cried a number of times on the course and really wanted to quit. The guy who kept passing/repassing me on the bike came over and said "great race, thanks for making me push on the bike". Turns out he is a marathon runner and this was his first tri.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Slightly fatigued legs and saddle sores, but I PR'ed this race regardless! I emailed the company doing the timing chips as my watch time and chip time were over 30 seconds apart, turns out the wave started a little off on time, so the finsih times have been adjusted! PR for this race by more than 3 minutes!

Event comments:

Good race, my 3rd year in row for this one. Each year so far I've gotten faster! Love that! I think if I work on speed maybe I can someday race this in 1 hour flat. I'll have to make that up on the bike and run, the swim is a pipe-dream.

Last updated: 2008-07-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:55 | 875 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 147/312
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:41
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:31:23 | 09 miles | 17.21 mile/hr
Overall: 138/312
Performance:
Wind: Headwind
Course: Tiburon loop
Road: Rough  Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:16:32 | 02 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Overall: 184/312
Course: Flat out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-27 11:26 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Subject: Tiburon Fire Department Triathlon

2008-07-28 6:52 AM
in reply to: #1563473

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Tiburon Fire Department Triathlon

Great race..PR is a PR

I think it is normal to view things through the lens of what you have been working towards for a year...IM. 

Great job! Strange how times are off..did they use chip timing.

Interesting comments about your IMLP friend..I never wanted to quit my heart and soul really wanted to finish that is all I cared about. You have the same goal I feel it, I read it, you will do it.

2008-07-28 7:47 AM
in reply to: #1563593

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
Great race! I love that you're constantly thinking of the Ironman. I am too! We're going to need to sign up for another IM right away because we'll probably be depressed when it's over.

Congrats on your PR!
2008-07-28 9:26 AM
in reply to: #1563593

User image

Pro
NorCal
KathyG - 2008-07-28 4:52 AM

Great race..PR is a PR

I think it is normal to view things through the lens of what you have been working towards for a year...IM. 

Great job! Strange how times are off..did they use chip timing.

Interesting comments about your IMLP friend..I never wanted to quit my heart and soul really wanted to finish that is all I cared about. You have the same goal I feel it, I read it, you will do it.

Thanks Kathy, glad to hear I'm "normal"   Yep, chip timing.  I could understand being a few seconds off, but by 30 seconds?  Just odd.

I think part of my friend's emotions about wanting to pull out have to do wth the fact that this was her 3rd IM.  She had time goals and I'm guessing based on weather, those kinda went out the window.  She hung in there and finished.

2008-07-28 9:28 AM
in reply to: #1563653

User image

Pro
NorCal

maura9900 - 2008-07-28 5:47 AM Great race! I love that you're constantly thinking of the Ironman. I am too! We're going to need to sign up for another IM right away because we'll probably be depressed when it's over. Congrats on your PR!

Thank you!  I'm nt sure about being depressed after IM is over, I'm excited to work on getting faster

2008-07-28 10:00 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Great race report Abbie...woohoo! Your bike and run legs were great!

2008-07-28 10:35 PM

User image

Expert
Congrats on the PR, Abbie!

Hope those saddle sores go away soon.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tiburon Fire Department Triathlon Rss Feed