United States
Wharf to Wharf Race, Inc.
Overcast
Total Time = 59m 19s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

OK, so my training schedule could have been a bit more considerate of doing this race, but I felt strong and just went with the flow. I ran 10K on Wednesday and 5K on Thursday, biked 23 miles and swam for 45 mins on Friday, and then did my longest (time and distance) bike ride on Saturday - 39 miles, 2 and a half hours. So by the time that I came home after the ride on Saturday I was pretty wiped out, took a shower, ate some gyros and basically took a really long nap, which felt great.The problem came when I was trying to get a good night sleep before the race. Went to bed at 10 pm, but couldn't actually fall asleep until well after 1 am, which left me with about 5 hours of sleep before the race.
Woke up at 6 am, got my stuff, stopped by Starbucks to pick up my grande raspberry soy latte and blueberry scone and headed out to Los Gatos. We agreed to meet up with my new buddy, Stacie, in Los Gatos to carpool to the race. Her boyfriend Ross was driving the whole gang of us since, besides Stacie, both his sons were running. They were also picking up another friend, Marla. So the 6 of us packed into their car and drove to Santa Cruz. We got there around 7:45 am with plenty time to spare. Ross dropped us off at the start of the pier and we headed to the start.
Event warmup:

No major warm up, did a few jumping jacks and streched at the start line.
Run
  • 59m 19s
  • 6 miles
  • 09m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

My plan for the run was to keep a steady pace and push if legs felt like they can stand it. The mission was accomplished. I hit 3 miles at 30:15 and finished at 59:19, which constituted a very steady pace with a little push at the end. My legs definitely felt heavy and not fresh, but I was expecting it to be much worse. I guess, I was able to recover as much as possible before the race. First couple of miles were tough, but then I warmed up and was even able to play with the pace a bit, trading places with a couple of runners. The last km was great with the final stretch being downhill, so it felt nice to finish fast and strong. During the race had a small sip of water at mile 4. After the race had 2 bottles of water plus small bottle of apple juice and small pack of trail mix. Overall, good performance, considering how fatigued and sore I was. Definitely want to do this race again next year. Also, loved hanging out with Stacie and her crowd. Had a nice breakfast afterwards at Gigi's diner in Santa Cruz. Yummy!
What would you do differently?:

Taper the training and recover more befor the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and stretched while waiting for the rest of the gang to get together.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being sore and fatigued from extra training before the race.

Event comments:

Great event.Will definitely do it again next year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-06-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:59:19 | 06 miles | 09m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Nice easy rollers. Really beautiful run. Great vibe with bands and supporters stationed along the whole course. Here's the official description of the course. The race opens with a dash down Beach Street, passing the Ferris Wheel, roller coaster and merry-go-round of the world famous Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. Runners then cross the San Lorenzo Bridge and loop around the Yacht Harbor to Twin Lakes Beach. Turning inland the course winds through Schwann Lake Wildlife Sanctuary before breaking back to the ocean bluffs at Pleasure Point. From there the way wanders through quaint seaside neighborhoods before dipping down to a festive finish at the Capitola Wharf.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-07-27 11:59 PM

User image

Subject: Wharf to Wharf

2008-07-31 9:37 PM
in reply to: #1563493

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Subject: RE: Wharf to Wharf
Wooohooooo!!  Great job out there even if your legs weren't feeling their freshest.  Breaking that hour barrier is a big deal.  Congrats .
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wharf to Wharf Rss Feed