General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recovery week advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-25 8:20 AM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
Subject: Recovery week advice
I am about 2 months into preparing for my first oly tri. I need a recovery week. Plan on starting it next week. I need some advice on how much to adjust the intensity, frequency, and distance of each discipline. Mostly, my shoulders need a rest(only been swimming a month), and my running is getting down right sluggish.

Edited by umbach 2004-02-25 8:24 AM

2004-02-25 8:53 AM
in reply to: #9240

User image

NW Suburbs of Chicago
Subject: RE: Recovery week advice
Hmmmm.... sounds like you really need a recovery week.

Another question that comes to mind is what/who's training schedule are you following?
From what I have been reading, all training schedules should have a recovery/cut back week every third or fourth week throughout the entire season. Helps ward off overtraining, injury and burn out. I have seen various training schedules with cutback weeks that decrease distances in all 3 sports anywhere from 15-50%.

I am also training for my first Oly in July so I am in the beginning phase of base training.
The schedule I am currently following cuts back about 30% on a recovery week which has been working well for me so far.

Will be curious to hear what others use....

2004-02-25 9:53 AM

User image

Elite

My recovery days or weeks are usually dictated by external forces of the universe and frequently are 100%.  I know that is not much help.  From my experience, active recovery usually is better for me than total rest if it is possible.  I notice some delayed onset muscle soreness usually on the second day of complete rest.  I thought this was weird but apparently it is to be expected.  I do some calisthenics, stretching, and light weights in the morning and a half the usual run/bike/swim if time allows instead of complete rest.  My program is different than yours because I am not trying to build up to a competitive distance and intensity.  I am just maintaining fitness.

TW  

2004-02-25 10:41 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Catharines, Ontario
Some weeks I need to take about three or four days of complete rest and no training, an 80% taper, but that has a lot to do with those external forces. 30- 50% is what is generally accepted as the right reduction but sometimes a week off is the best thing for you.
2004-02-25 11:15 AM

User image

Veteran
, Zurich
Take complete days off if you really need to, but a rest week is more low intensity, low volume but not necessarily days off.

Take a look at my half-IM program on the BT site. You'll have to adjust the hours down a bit but the general layout of the rest weeks works quite well.

Rest weeks are: #13, #9, and #5
2004-02-25 5:24 PM

User image

Veteran
SF East Bay
My plan has 3 week build and then a week recovery in a 4 week cycle. I rest one day a week and the recovery week is typically at 50% volume of previous week at low intensity. Sometimes I make it 2 rest days (not consecutive) if I need it in the recovery week. I too start feeling some extra muscle soreness if I sit too long and the easy active recovery just feels better. Good luck on your races.

2004-02-25 7:29 PM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
Thanks for all the tips and info. I am not really following any specific plan. Just training each discipline 2X's/wk and going by feel. When I started I didn't seem to fit into any specific program. Therefore, I've just kind of been wingin' it. Just from reading here and knowing how I'm feeling, I figured it was time to back off for a week. Probably do ok with just decreasing my distances. Thanks again to all.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recovery week advice Rss Feed