General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strength training routine Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-28 4:18 PM

New user

Subject: Strength training routine

Does anyone have a workout routine they follow for weight training?  I am trying to switch up my routine and need something new to try.  I am looking for a detailed plan.  What exercises on what days.  Thank you in advanced for your help.

2008-07-29 2:27 PM
in reply to: #1565447

Elite
Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Strength training routine
What have you been doing up to this point? What is you goal from the new plan?
2008-07-30 1:48 PM
in reply to: #1567757

New user

Currenly nothing.  I have the cardio aspect down.  i am looking for something I can do currently being in season.  Thank you for your help.
2008-07-30 5:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, MI

I am somewhat concerned with bulking up too much when I weight train so I focus on building lean muscle mass. This consists of short, yet intense training sessions organized in back-to-back exercises to maintain a steady HR while working your muscles to extremes. I will focus on 2 or 3 muscle groups per session and perform lifts that work several muscles simultaneously. From what I learned, for an endurance athlete, this type of training will be successful.

One of my favorite lifts I read about in Men's Health was for legs and shoulders (and core!!!). It was called something like the "Dumbell Squat Swing": Take a moderately heavy dumbbell (maybe 15-35lbs) in both hands so you it dangles in between you legs. Get into a good squat position and your arms should be extended fully between your thighs with the weight at about calve height. Stand from the squat position maintianing balanced back posture and extend the weight out in front of your chest with your arms still straight. ( Note: the swinging motion and the amazing burn in your inner/outer legs, core, shoulders and arms) Return and repeat.

An example of a legs and shoulders day will be:  

1a)Dumbbell Swing Squat

1b)Shoulder Press

2a)Lunges (with overhead press)

2b)Wood Chop

3a)Javorek Complex (5 shoulder free weight lifts in row)

3b) Deadlifts

3c) Swissball Bridge pose

I hope you can see what I mean by incorporating several muscles in one motion and working a few key muscle groups per session. Check out Men's Health.com for video demonstrations on a lot of these and many other sweet exercises. Plus throw in the cables and swissball to diversify and tweak those muscles more.

and Done.

2008-07-31 11:18 AM
in reply to: #1570515

User image

Illinois burbs

K_scott - 2008-07-30 1:48 PM Currenly nothing.  I have the cardio aspect down.  i am looking for something I can do currently being in season.  Thank you for your help.

I am in the same situation as you.  I have been doing cardio consistantly, 3 days a week, to lose weight.  Now I'd like to add a little strength training.  I am thinking about doing the 100 push up challenge, from another thread, Monday, Wednesday and Friday along with pullups.  Tuesday Thursday will be for core and thrusters.  2 days of biking will be on Monday and Wednesday and Swiming on Sunday.

What do you guy's think?

2008-07-31 12:46 PM

here's mine, I do two sets of 8-12 reps for each exercise.  I try to do it 2x per week, usually after swimming.  This plan was adapted from BeIronFit.  I alternate between the 'or' exercises. 

1: Squat or Leg Press
2: Lat Pulldown or Row
3: Leg Extension
4: Bench Press or Fly
5: Leg Curls
6: Bicep curls
7: Triceps (overhead or kickbacks)
8: Calf Raises
9: 2-3 different ab exercises

2008-08-12 10:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Jackson, MS

Here is my routine for the last few years with changes every now and again to keep it fresh. It is a 3-day routine and you can get it done in under an hour for each day. Note: i do abs everyday so i don't include them in these workouts.

I basically do 3 sets of 10-12 reps for everything

Day A - Chest / Triceps

• Flat bench (dumbells or bar)
  • Incline bench ("
  • Dips
  • Decline bench ("
  • Skullcrushers
  • Cable-cross flys
  • Tricep Rope extensions
  • low-cable crosses
  • tricep dumbell extensions

Day B - Back / Biceps

• Pullups (i do 10/8/8)
  • T-bar Row
  • Preacher Curls
  • One-arm dumbell row
  • Standing bicep curls
  • close-grip V-bar Rows
  • Hammer Curls
  • Back extensions
  • Pullups/Lat pulldowns (usually just use the hanging bar)

Day C - Shoulders / Legs (i don't really do legs anymore except everynow and then to prevent injury) mix these up if doing all of them.. i just listed shoulders first

• Military press (bar or dumbells)
  • Shrugs
  • Upright Row
  • Front dumbell raises
  • Lateral dumbell raises
  • bent over rear deltoid raises
  • Front squat
  • Leg press
  • hamstring curls
  • Quad extensions
  • Calf raises
  • adductor/abductor
  • Lunges w/ dumbells

Hope that is a good starting point for anyone wondering some good stuff.

-andrew

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strength training routine Rss Feed