General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
West Windsor, New Jersey
United States
CGI Racing
81F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 59s
Overall Rank = 294/1023
Age Group = 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 31/62
Pre-race routine:

Couldn't sleep at all the night before. Maybe 1 to 1.5 hours total. Got up at 4:45, walked the dog and loaded bike on the car. I had debated just biking over (only 4 miles away) but decided against it after no sleep. Ate a peanut butter bagel and a gatorade in the car. Drank another gatorade while in line for bodymarking when entering the venue.

Event warmup:

Got everything all set in transition and went for a swim warmup mostly to try and gain some confidence in OWS. The warmup went good as I swam about 75 yards out and back and felt good. Went back to transition to make sure everything was how I want it and before I knew it they were closing transition and only 10 minutes until go time.
Swim
  • 12m 49s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

I waited a little ways back from the actual starting buoys as I didn't want to tread. At the horn dove under and started swimming. Felt good and was sighting every 5 stroke. Before I knew it I was to the 1st buoy (about 1/2 way to the turn buoy). Continued to go well but when I got to the turn buoy there was a bit of a backup of a bunch of guys slowly doing the breaststroke around the buoy. This got me way out of rhythm. Got back to swimming and with the backup and some folks from the wave behind us it got very congested. Got kicked and grabbed a few times but kept it going. About 75 yards from the end got a kick right to the teeth and that was it for me. Basically just did whatever I could to keep moving forward in the water. Could feel my heart rate was way too high as I got out.
What would you do differently?:

Learn to take contact much better and also practice sighting more in order to navigate around people when necessary.
Transition 1
  • 03m 26s
Comments:

Was real winded with a high heart rate out of the water. I walked up a pretty steep grassy hill and then the 1st half of a very long transition area. Stopped at the wrong rack at 1st which caused some lost time and my water bottle I was going to use to clean my feet was gone.

Swim better so I can run through transition.
Bike
  • 35m 42s
  • 11.5 miles
  • 19.33 mile/hr
Comments:

Ran out of transition and onto the bike very well. Turned right onto the park's road and saw my buddy Jared up ahead and wanted to catch him prior to leaving the park. Caught him with about 100 yards to spare and kept on going. After turning onto Quakerbridge Rd so Jay off the road at the Ultimate Frisbee field and he had his tube off and was trying to replace. I wanted to catch and beat him but not that way (didn't stop me from mocking him afterwards though) Kept a pretty even, steady pace throughout but probably didn't push it as much as I could've. Passed about as many people as passed me but got a bit demoralized when about 2/3 through an 11 year old passed me on the bike and I realized he had started 8 minutes behind me. Once I hit the park's road back in I really picked it up good and hammered it home (this is why I think I should've pushed more earlier as I had a lot left).

Got harder during the 1st half of the bike as I knew it was flat and didn't need to worry about any hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

Had a very good transition here. Ran past 3 people on my bike. Racked it right away (my rack was 3 from the bike exit/entrance), helmet on the aerobars, drink, grab and connect race belt and run.

Nothing really except maybe drink a bit more as I ran through transition.
Run
  • 24m 38s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Took off running in transition and settled into a good rhythm. Started passing people right away and was concentrating on my breathing. Legs were feeling good run up to the turnaround. In my mind that's when I planned on letting it all out but I seem to have a problem when it comes to increasing my pace. Before I knew it I could hear the finishers chute and I felt like I hadn't run hard enough. As I entered the chute kept enough distance to the guy in front of me so he could get a good picture and the announcer started talking to me saying something like it's not that bad Bob is it? I gave him a thumbs up and finished strong.

Run harder right from the start. Pacing is good and all but it's just a 5k so why not go all out one of these times.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a bottle of nice, cold water and saw Jared's wife and 2 kids cheering for me. Went over and told her he should be 10 minutes or so behind me. Tried to find Jay's wife so she wouldn't worry as I wasn't sure if he ever made it back or not but didn't see her (had to be like 5,000 people there).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim is still to weak and caused me to lose time in T1 as well. Also need to be willing to push myself harder even if it means blowing up at a race. If my legs feel good I need to just go for it.

Event comments:

Wow, what an organized well run race. I guess the day before registration would be annoying but I live right next to the park so no biggie for me. Everthing started right on time and the amount of signs and volunteers were awesome not to mention the almost entirely closed bike course. Can't wait to come back and do the Olympic next year.

Last updated: 2007-11-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:49 | 547 yards | 02m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/62
Overall: 660/1023
Performance: Average
Suit: No
Course: Backwards triange with one left hand turn a little past the 1/2 way point.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:26
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:35:42 | 11.5 miles | 19.33 mile/hr
Overall: 337/1023
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Flat with basic turns and almost completely closed to traffic.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:38 | 03.11 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Overall: 216/1023
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back and basically flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-07-28 7:24 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Subject: New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2008-07-28 7:53 PM
in reply to: #1565846

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Subject: RE: New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Congratulations!  Nice race.
2008-07-28 8:49 PM

User image

Master
NJ
Great job on your race!!
2008-07-29 8:03 AM

User image

Great job - besides the part where you got kicked in the teeth... ouch.  I felt the same way about the swim, contact definitely threw me off my game plan.  We must have came across eachother a couple of times - I was just one rack away from you and started on the wave after yours.  I'm also thinking about doing the olympic next year, maybe we'll catch up then.
2008-07-29 9:35 AM

User image

Expert
WA

yikes, kicked in the teeth?  wow!  way to go in getting through it, and nice 5K at the end!!

sounds like your teeth were still able to enjoy a great sandwich at that restaurant you mentioned....we thought about getting more hoagie haven but i was too tired to think about it, but a cheesesteak probably would have hit the spot for me. oh well, lesson learned

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed