Other Resources My Cup of Joe » people with experience with the Department of Justice, I need some advise please Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-30 8:57 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Subject: people with experience with the Department of Justice, I need some advise please
Here is a question you don't get everyday.  I am thinking about applying for a job with the Deptarment of Justice: Bureau of Federal Prisons. It is running an education program for a local federal prison with programs in Literacy, English as a Second Language, voacational/occupational training GED courses, peer tutoring etc.  My question is what is it like working in that environment?  The prison is a medium level security.  I am thinking the inmates are people with non-violent crimes and going through rehab programs of some sort, so they are a group that wants to improve themselves.  Am I being naive?  What is the safety risks involved with this type of position?  I am curious what I would be getting myself into before I move forward. If anyone with experience with the prison systems could offer some advise I would be very grateful.  Thanks

Edited by tahrens 2008-07-30 9:04 AM

2008-07-30 1:39 PM
in reply to: #1569373

User image

Master
Central, IL
Subject: RE: people with experience with the Department of Justice, I need some advise please

If good behavior is a requirement to be in the program...you shouldn't have too much trouble.  Doctors, lawyers, ministers, etc. interact with prisoners all the time. 

The classroom should be a sanctuary from the BS you'd find in "the yard." 

2008-07-30 2:03 PM

New user

Subject: RE: people with experience with the Department of Justice, I need some advise please
check your pm
2008-07-30 10:59 PM

New user
I would tell you to go to the facility or call them and let them know that you are a prospective employee ,and try to arrange a tour they will do a mini background on you much like a visitor with just your drivers liscence number. Never been to a prison back east but probably you will be surprised about the amount of security but realize that incidents happen there every day i'm sure. Most prisons are small cities with all the services of a city the only difference being that all of the population are felons. Good luck....
2008-07-31 5:34 AM

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
Apply, and if you get invited for an interview, ask. Good idea to ask around ahead of time, but don't be afraid to be right up front with these questions. They'll likely anticipate most of them.

See if you can track down whomever is in that position now, or a similar position in a similar environment.

Good luck! Remember, applying and going for an interview do NOT lock you in to taking the job!
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » people with experience with the Department of Justice, I need some advise please Rss Feed