Asbury Park, New Jersey
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 11s
Overall Rank = 110/128
Age Group = 35-39F
Age Group Rank = 10/10
Pre-race routine:

Pre-race: packet pickup Saturday. I hadn’t been to Asbury Park in years, nice to see some life there. Packet pickup not terribly organized, there’s some odd mixup with my number and Adam’s number and our information. Volunteer marks up sheet, promises to have it changed. Much talked up free sunglasses are not terribly exciting. Race shirt sucks. Peeked at ocean, surf was head high but not too bad (husband was nervous).

Event warmup:

Race day: got up at FOUR AM. Yuck. Drove up from my dad’s house, got to the race site nice and early, parked literally 200 feet from transition. Got rack spots (no assignment by numbers, racks WAY too close together… nice that we got there early as we had an end rack. Found out that the swim was cancelled, word around the transition area was that this particular RD was very quick to cancel his swims. Most of the field felt the water was very swimmable, since it was a surf issue and not a rip current issue. They also made the decision to split the run in two – was a two lap course for the sprint, so we’d do one lap, then the bike, then the other lap.

Swim
  • 00m
  • 0 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

segment one of the run:
Run 1: 12:23 – um, no way was this half a 5K. Adam’s garmin had it at about 1.1 – 1.2 miles. So this is fast-ish for me, but only 5 people in the sprint were slower than me.
What would you do differently?:

swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

completely freaked me out, as I’ve never gone the other way (run to bike). Got there and stared at my feet and had no idea what exactly I was doing. Took a second to figure it out. I’m not worrying, as it wasn’t exactly something I’d thought about or practiced.
Bike
  • 40m 31s
  • 11.3 miles
  • 16.73 mile/hr
Comments:

Race description said 15K. in my math, that’s 9.3 miles. Ended up 11.3 miles. I’d never biked after running before, so I started with my heart rate too high and had to go easy for a few minutes to get it down. It was super, super fun. Got passed a lot (concurrent oly, plus multi lap course), but passed a few people too. I noticed that people on very nice bikes/very in shape would pass me right before a turn, then I would catch them through the turn, then they’d drop me. Apparently I have good cornering skills. I didn’t put my bike gloves on, which turned out to be a mistake. The outside of my hands and lower arms were tingly by the end of the bike since I apparently put too much pressure on my ulnar nerve when I ride
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

happy with this. Short distance, but didn’t dilly-dally for a change. Wanted to get the damn running over with.

Run
  • 13m 50s
  • 1.1 miles
  • 12m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

so not happy with this. Heart rate kept spiking, so I walked, and was pissed the whole time as the run was so short. But my training has been non-existent recently, so it’s not like I don’t know what to do to fix this.

Post race
Warm down:

Finished, and walked right over to the shade to sit down for a minute. A woman came up to me to complement me on my bike speed, which freaked me out completely, as I don’t exactly think of myself as fast. I think I’m just faster than she expected me to be… I blame it on the hills I normally ride. Then grabbed our stuff, bitched about the race organization with other racers (rumor has it that someone is buying this race from the RD, so it will be better next year). Went back up to look at the finish, and noticed that our times were swapped. Talked to the RD, who said, oh, you guys had the wrong numbers. Hello, we had the numbers YOUR packet labels and YOUR volunteers gave us. He fixed it, we left.

oh, 37/43 gender

Event comments:

RR Haiku:

Sucks to run twice
But hammered the bike and I
Had a very good time

Last updated: 2008-04-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 00 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 0/128
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:28
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:31 | 11.3 miles | 16.73 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: The course was three loops, lots of very tight turns and dead flat with a headwind for much of it.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:13:50 | 01.1 miles | 12m 35s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Ran up the boardwalk, turned around, ran back down through convention hall, past transition, down to the other end of the boardwalk, and back. full course (if swim hadn't been cancelled) would have been two loops.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-30 10:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Worcester, MA
Subject: MetroMan

2008-07-30 10:15 AM
in reply to: #1569710

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: MetroMan

Hahaha... apparently you and adam look exactly the same, hence the confusion.  And I like how "differently" you want to do on your first leg.

I would say the high 16 bike pace is good. 

What's up with all the wrong distances?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MetroMan Rss Feed