General Discussion Race Reports! » High Cliff Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

High Cliff Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sherwood, Wisconsin
United States
Midwest Sports Events
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 55m 45s
Overall Rank = 316/494
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 33/41
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:15, had a glass of water, went for a walk while I drank 14oz coffee, then started 16oz powdered gatorade. Left for race at 5am and ate on the way: banana, bagel with cream cheese, 1.5 bowls of plain oatmeal. Kept sipping 16oz of water. I ate so late because my wave didn't start until 7:45. Had a clif shot about 20min prior to race.
Event warmup:

Biked for 10 minutes, ran for 10 minutes and swam for almost 5 minutes. It was too shallow to swim properly. Got a couple of intervals for each warmup.
Swim
  • 07m 3s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

Kept pace, slight chop didn't bother me, breathing was good. Got whacked in the eye/goggle by an elbow which made me stop to scream, adjust and reset. Kept going and tried to draft but couldn't pace anyone as I was faster than them, but not fast enough for the front of pack swimmers. Swam until my hands hit bottom.
What would you do differently?:

Almost nothing. Be faster.
Transition 1
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

Average T1. Run up the hill from the swim faster.

Probably could have swam without the wetsuit.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 5s
  • 22 miles
  • 17.82 mile/hr
Comments:

Big hill is just out of T1 - within 1/5 of a mile. Made it to the top without getting out of the seat and without panting. Actually held back some on the course knowing the distance is longer than a usual sprint. Also, I wanted to have a good physical switch from T1 since I had been dealing with calf cramps from over-exertion on the bike. Was able to stretch my calves near the end and spun out my legs a bit on heading out and heading in. I think this helped my legs transition to the run without cramping. Fluid intake was just right.

Run faster into T1. Build a higher pace on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

No big surprises. Business as usual.

Run into T2 faster.
Run
  • 30m 8s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Got about 1/2 way up the big hill and slowed down enough that a walk was faster. Starting running again at the 3/4 mark. Kept running except for a walk through the water station.

Get my fitness level up for running! Run hills! Run trails!
Post race
Warm down:

Run to the porta-potty. Have food. Sat down to eat. Drove an hour, then stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Interval training - I didn't do enough. I also wanted to race within a comfort zone so I could listen to my body and check its reaction to some of the newer things I had been doing in training.

Event comments:

The lake was clean - no dead fish - and it seemed fairly clear. Quite shallow for 30-40 yards and it seemed too close to shore. It was very difficult to start 1 hour after transition closed. I liked the trail run. Maybe they should cut the # of participants so that there is a smaller transition area and all waves are off within 30 minutes of the first wave. The bike course was nice, but too long for a sprint distance. Volunteers were nice, participants were nice as well. Overall, a nice looking course.

Last updated: 2008-06-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:03 | 440 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/41
Overall: 0/494
Performance: Average
Suit: Fullsleeve
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:38
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:14:05 | 22 miles | 17.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 34/41
Wind: Little
Course: Big hill in the beginning, then flat with some very small rollers. Generally good roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:49
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:08 | 03.11 miles | 09m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/41
Performance: Below average
Course: Had to run up the big hill. Then go on a trail of limestone - not crushed, but the solid variety. Then went onto some dirt trails and wood-ship trails, then back to limestone and down the big hill to the finish. Like a cross-country course. Fun, but odd. Almost tripped a couple of times. Beautiful views overlooking the lake and it was shady most of the way because it went through the woods.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-30 11:13 PM

Extreme Veteran
WI
Subject: High Cliff Triathlon - Sprint Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » High Cliff Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed