Site Issues Training Log & Site Support » Strong swimmer but weak runner Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-31 1:14 PM

User image

Regular
Glendale
Subject: Strong swimmer but weak runner
Hi - right now I've just started the aggressive couch to 5k training plan since I really need to build up on my running which is rather pathetic. However, that program is for running only and I would like to use one of the tri training programs. I am interested in the Sprint - 2x Balanced - 16 Week program, it says "a minimum base of 20min swim, 20min run and 40min bike". I don't have a base for a 20 min run but do have a base for the swim and bike part. Would you recommend I take this plan and "customize" the running part or stick with the couch to 5k training plan? Do people follow the training plans exactly or are they adjusted depending on the person's expertise? I would like to prepare for the Turkey Tri which is on Nov 30th so I want to make sure I'm properly training for this. Some help for this confused gal would be great! Thank you.

2008-07-31 4:07 PM
in reply to: #1573346

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: RE: Strong swimmer but weak runner

Customize away! Using the swim and bike from the Sprint - 2x Balanced - 16 Week plan and replacing the run stuff with the couch to 5k plan is a great idea.

I'd do it in that order: import the swim and bike from the tri plan first, then import the run plan. You won't overwrite any swim or bike data.

Full details on how to import specific parts of training plans can be found in this article.   Good luck and let us know if we can answer any more questions.

2008-07-31 6:11 PM
in reply to: #1574153

User image

Regular
Glendale
Thank you for your advice, I'm new to BT so I'm not familiar with how all of this works just yet but I'm learning very rapidly, thanks to you!
2008-07-31 9:29 PM
in reply to: #1573346

User image

I'm kinda in the same predicament. I did my 1st Sprint Tri in Hyannis this year and did fine in the swim, surprise, and the bike, which is my strong event. In the run I struggled. Here are my times swim 0.25, 9:08 , Bike 10 mi. 36:58 an the run 3.5 mi.  39:48 .  I don’t post these numbers to impress anyone. The bike includes both T1 and T2, bummer.  I had really old ladies pass me running. I don’t care because think of how many people just wish they competed or finished. I’m a Clysdale and  running at 40 yrs. Old and 220lbs. isn’t the same as running at 140lbs when your 22yrs old. I know that is really slow and frankly I’d rather enter a chicken wing eating contest after the bike leg then run 3.5 miles. My body type is weight lifter or  body builder. That’s what I have to work with, I’ve been running 1.0 miles runs recently to try to get to an 8:30 mi pace with great success! Today I ran an 8:47 mile, and that’s progress not perfection. If you’re here posting and then your in the right place. I finished my 1st Tri 1:29:55 and I plan to finish my next under 1:20:00 . You go for it and don’t worry about the numbers, just finish and you will feel the a great rush from your finishing your race.

2008-07-31 9:43 PM
in reply to: #1574758

User image

Regular
Glendale
Thanks for the encouragement!  I used to play lacrosse in high school many many years ago so I know I can run (though not very well!)...I just need to build up to it and hopefully not mess up my knee in the process.  Are you using one of the training programs to help you with the run?
2008-07-31 10:15 PM
in reply to: #1574797

User image

chowbisou - 2008-07-31 10:43 PM Thanks for the encouragement! I used to play lacrosse in high school many many years ago so I know I can run (though not very well!)...I just need to build up to it and hopefully not mess up my knee in the process. Are you using one of the training programs to help you with the run?

No, I'm probably  doing things the hard way. I checked out your swim times and you are much more distance then I did. My workouts are public too.  I could use some swim coaching and have asked around. I belong to two different gyms that have huge pools and they look at me like I'm crazy when I ask about triathlon swim coaching. God, is it that strange ! but anyway your swim looks strong, keep it up. You’ll just great things!

New Thread
Site Issues Training Log & Site Support » Strong swimmer but weak runner Rss Feed