General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Triathlete busted swimming across Lake Nokomis" - Strib article Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-08-11 12:44 PM
in reply to: #1594592

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
Subject: RE: "Triathlete busted swimming across Lake Nokomis" - Strib article

BikerGrrrl - 2008-08-11 12:42 PM I swam at Nokomis on Saturday afternoon and a lifeguard positioned himself on a surfboard, facing the swimmers, on the outside of the swim buoys.  I like to think it was for my own safety and he wasn't waiting for me to veer out  and then nab me   I had plenty of good deep water to swim in, just inside the buoys, and it was good practice to swim near the folks playing because it caused a little bit of chop like in a tri.

No problems with this if you swim at 6am...

Hopefully they're not staffing guards that early...

2008-08-12 2:13 PM
in reply to: #1574369

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

I can agree with points made on both sides of the argument but I think the biggest reason for the law is the insane amount of resources ($$$$) that are spent even in a false alarm response. The same cops, deputies, firefighters, paramedics and troopers that should be out on the street padding the government's coffers picking up Sal for going 9 over the limit and busting crackheads have to go pick some out of the water. And every time it happens there's a million law enforcement and emergency responders on the scene with every imaginable contraption to find a drowning victim. Bottom line is that its not cheap and if law enforcement/emergency response can avoid even one of these a year because they have a law in place that has some teeth, so be it. They're not worried about the leapdog/Matchman/Sparco/Bikergrrrrl variety of dumbasses. They're worried about the dumbasses who have never learned how to swim trying to cross the lake on a dare after 17 beers. So in the end, it really is a very right wing/Republican law because they're just trying to reduce taxpayer burden and increase efficiency in government. Tongue out

2008-08-12 2:15 PM
in reply to: #1597947

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
Matchman - 2008-08-12 2:13 PM

I can agree with points made on both sides of the argument...Tongue out

Post of the day...

2008-08-27 11:04 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Paul, MN
I think we have a general problem in society and we need to all HTFU. We've gotten so so afraid of something bad happening that we don't take calculated risks anymore and hold others in our lives back from them too. As a result, there are so many laws that limit our choices.

• ..on the flip side, I understand the City having the laws and handing down a fine to the swimmer. It seems that people sue for no apparent reason anymore, and in response to that, businesses and government do a lot more to protect themselves. What if something had happened to that swimmer? Would his family (looking for some reason this happened and wanting to blame someone rather than the responsibility the swimmer had for taking the risk - which is becoming a typical response to tragedy in the US) have sued the city saying that there "should have been more signs out" or that they "should have someone patrolling the beaches at all times," or some other ludicrous accusation?

• I'm not saying it's right that the rules be there but just that I understand why so much is done to protect the party that could be held responsible by our sometimes seemingly messed up legal system. Just another view point and my 2 cents.
    2008-08-27 1:53 PM

User image

Master
    , Minnesota
    I thought we'd closed this can of worms.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Triathlete busted swimming across Lake Nokomis" - Strib article Rss Feed  

of 2