General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart rate zones and perceived effort Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-31 10:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston
Subject: Heart rate zones and perceived effort

While training, I'm trying to stay z2 less than 165 bpm and a pace around 9:30 min/mi. Tonight, I noticed that at that pace, my HR is hitting 170 bpm but the exertion doesn't feel that hard. It is quite warm and I know that boosts HR.

My question is: Do I take into account the heat and let my HR run higher or do I start to lose the fat/carb burning ratio which is why I wanted z2 in the first place? 

2008-07-31 11:01 PM
in reply to: #1574943

User image

Regular
Rowan University - Health & Exercise Science Major
Subject: RE: Heart rate zones and perceived effort
from what i have learned from my coach, its really tough to go off of heart rate b/c there are so many different variables in which can impact your HR. This is why all of my training is done through relative perceived exertion on a scale of 1-20 and im given guidelines as to what my exertion should fall within during a certain workout.

2008-08-01 8:22 AM

User image

Master
During the winter, when it's always cold, I can stick to my HR zones pretty well. In the summer, with the heat and humidity, my HR is definitely higher. The many folks on here that use both HR and RPE have convinced me to turn off the alarm on my HRM and use RPE this summer. I still look to see if it's still zone 2ish but don't worry if I'm drifting a bit higher, as long as I feel right. If I stuck to the absolute zones, I'd get slower and slower as the dog days approach.
2008-08-01 9:31 AM

User image

Runner
Do one or the other, pace or HR.  Don't apply both to the same run.
2008-08-01 11:03 AM
in reply to: #1575663

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Scout7 - 2008-08-01 8:31 AM

Do one or the other, pace or HR. Don't apply both to the same run.

no argument there, but I believe that no matter what modality you are using to rate intensity, perceived exertion ALWAYS has to be part of the equation.

Your HR zones will change as your training improves...they may go lower or higher which is why it's important to test. Your power zones will change, your pace will change...but the effort your body is makign should be similar across all modalities of measuring intensity.

To ignore RPE would be foolish.

Gaining experience using HR/pace/power to meter your training and combining it with a "body check" using RPE is the best way to train.
2008-08-01 1:57 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago

If you run without music and have done many zone 2 runs, your RPE should be fairly accurate.  No one indicator is the "bible" (yes, not even watts on the bike) but the utilization of all indicators available to you and an awareness of how your body feels/responds to the training your doing.

There are some workouts where even if my RPE is at 90% effort my HR doesn't get out of zone 1 and other workouts where the opposite is true.  Both of these indicate something different is happening, my body is telling me something different in both of these cases.

Experience and monitoring your indicators will allow you to become the best judge of what's going on.  Even my coach can't  "predict" how I will react to a workout on any given day, but he simply provides me with weekly workout schedules and if I end up having to pull the plug on a workout because of 1 reason or another (injury creeping back to the surface, etc.) then he relies on the fact that I won't be stupid and just power through a workout because that's what he "told" me to do.

You're doing the right thing by trying to figure out what's best for you to do as well as understanding the importance of endurance building workouts...however, only guidance can be found in others and only your own experience can provide you ultimately with the correct solution.

"You have snatched the pebble from my hand, so now it is time for you to leave. "

2008-08-01 9:25 PM
in reply to: #1576660

User image

Veteran
Houston

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I was concerned that by running with higher HR, I would move out of the aerobic zone and undermine my goals for the run. Seems that I shouldn't worry and if the perceived effort is light and typical of z2... so it is.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart rate zones and perceived effort Rss Feed