Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Weirdest, dangerous or most remote run you have done Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-08-02 3:09 PM
in reply to: #1577644

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Subject: RE: Weirdest, danderous or most remote run you have done
gailer16 - 2008-08-01 10:34 PM
TriRSquared - 2008-08-01 11:48 AM

Not even close to comparing to Iraq but here's my story...

Got a little to close to some wild boars...

http://www.seandotson.com/blog/index.php?title=running-with-the-hogs

Hey I don't mess with those pigs I saw a few of them on the banks when I went kayaking down the Myakka River, they scared me and I was in the middle of the river

Yeah it was really stupid.  It could have ended VERY badly.  I got lucky.

2008-08-03 9:23 PM
in reply to: #1574965

Subject: RE: Weirdest, dangerous or most remote run you have done

i can't say i have done any dangerous runs. but i have had some strange/weird/remote experiences... i will tell the most funniest and memorable one.

i went up to the cottage my parents own in collingwood. i went up with my best friend at the time. we stayed up there for Easter weekend (some time in April - 2 years ago). the first day was kool we had a lot of fun running around the harbour (the cottage is on the lakefront - harbour). the second day, i wanted to show my friend where i go skiing ever winter (now i am avid skiier, ski patroller and snowboarder). anyways, we got there. and the temperature was around 8 or 9 degrees Celcius. my sister insisted we go up to the top and walk down the nice trail. i told my parents i would meet them at the bottom (of my favorite ski run in 30 minutes). i swear it took us like forever to walk up the escarpment!! i was soo pooped by the time we got to the top. i swear it must have taken us that 30 minutes to walk up!

at first, i look down and get the stupid feeling of vertigo. my friend told me she would hold my hand if i got scared!BLAH! so i told my sister who had me walk up, that we must run down! at first everyone was alright with the idea. me knowing the hill so well, knew exactly where it got steeper. it was so steep without the snow that  you could just put your feet down and you would slide down. anyways, we were running down. i was in the lead! i was really happy i was winning. because we had a late winter there was stil patches of snow and it was mixed with mud and such. when you are travelling at top speed you cant stop. 

45 minutes past and my parents at the bottom of the hill did not know what happened to us. back to us on the hill. the 3 of us, sure enough when we hit the ice fell and slid into mud streams. after sliding we tried getting up and it was hard. eventually we got running again.we all got really muddy. i had twigs coming out of my nicely braided hair (for Easter). the three of us looked like the abominable Snow/Mud man. we came running down to the bottom at full speed and hit into the van. we fell over and cracked up laughing and stared up at my parents. who then said we had to wait till we some what dried off before going in the van to go back to the cottage.

its all about letting the good times roll

- Diablo

2008-08-03 9:31 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Heh. From a post I first put up in 2007, commenting on a 2003 run:

2003 -  I'm headed to China...16 hours. Spent the first 4 hours of the flight plowed, the next 12 doing work. Arrive at hotel in China at 11:45PM.  Brain is tired, body is not....

So in the dead of night, in China, no idea where I'm going, no map, not knowing whether if you violate curfew you'll be arrested, no clue as to the good / bad neighborhoods, no phone, no money, not speaking a word of the language, I head out for a 10-miler in Shanghai. I had the most fantastic run down back alleys, along riverbanks, and on 10-lane wide grand boulevards that had ZERO, and I mean ZERO cars, bicycles, or people on them.

Certainly the riskiest, most surreal, and coolest one I've done.  Every once in a while it's good to take a risk. Helps you remember you're alive.

2008-08-04 1:23 PM

I ran a 50k in Iraq yesterday.  I had three friends driving a support truck with my cooler, and they took turns pacing me on foot or on their bikes.  We had a good time.  That's the longest run I've ever done.

I just posted a few pics on my blog, and I hope to get the others shrunk down for an album soon.

2008-08-04 7:37 PM
in reply to: #1580457

jacksonville
dave699 - 2008-08-04 2:23 PM

I ran a 50k in Iraq yesterday.  I had three friends driving a support truck with my cooler, and they took turns pacing me on foot or on their bikes.  We had a good time.  That's the longest run I've ever done.

I just posted a few pics on my blog, and I hope to get the others shrunk down for an album soon.

Who are you with out in Iraq. I was also in 29 stumps from 1999 - 2002 with 2/7 and 3rd LAR, and I was in Iraq with HMM 268 and HMM 364, in 2003 for about a year. How is Iraq nowadays.
2008-08-05 9:31 AM

User image

Elite
San Jose, CA
Was almost attacked by a ?Mountain Lion? on my bike ride into work yesterday.  It was about 5:30am and the trail was very dark...As I entered the trail which is the last two miles of a 12 mile ride into work, I see a mtn lion cub cross the trail...I think Oh crap...mama probably isn't too far away...bout 1/2 mile later, I am riding down a "tunnel" of trees that has pretty much blocked out any light from the approaching dawn.  On my right are fence posts with lines of wire running through them...and also a big animal.  Something jumped up as I road by.  I yelled (screamed) and appearantly that scared the poor creature as it ran the opposit direction...as I am riding away with great speed, I look behind me and I see the silohetted outline of a large animal running it does a u-turn around a tree and starts heading my direction...I start pedalling faster...certainly got my heart rate up...and I think I finally was able to pee while riding the bike.

Edited by runningwoof 2008-08-05 9:32 AM

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Weirdest, dangerous or most remote run you have done Rss Feed  

of 2