General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Watch Suggestions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-02 8:10 AM

New user

Florence, SC
Subject: Training Watch Suggestions
I'm looking for some suggestions on an all around training watch. I currently have the Garmin 405 and it works very well for running. I haven't tested it much on biking yet. However I'm most concerned about swimming. I can't take this watch swimming, which makes it difficult to really look at this as a tri watch and not just a running watch.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a true tri sport watch, or should I just get over my dreams of having one device for all of them, and get a cheap waterproof HRM for swimming.

2008-08-02 8:20 AM
in reply to: #1577844

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Training Watch Suggestions
Why wouldn't the 405 do the job for you? Just get the GCS10 speed/cadence sensor for the bike, and you have everything you need...

Just wear the HR strap under the wetsuit for the swim and leave the watch on the bike. The tricky part is to remember grabbing the watch in T2...
2008-08-04 3:33 PM

User image

Illinois burbs

Are you looking for a way of measuring your HR while swimming?  If so, I am looking for a way to do this as well.  The information that I have found on the web, though, leads me to think that there is not an accurate way to do this.  While many products are waterproof, they are not accurate.  Could someone else confirm this?

2008-08-05 12:17 PM

User image

Expert
Chenequa WI

This might help you with alternatives:  Polar RS’s are usually water resistant to 30 or 50 meters and Suunto T’s have a 30-100 meter WR.  The T-series Suunto’s like the T3, T4, and T6 can be used with a memory belt for swimming.  The belt records HR directly so it doesn’t have the interference problems some HRMs can have underwater.  You can then analyze after you download to the computer.  It reportedly works well in the water, although I haven’t used one. 

As already mentioned, you can get bike pods that can be used in place of the bike computer.  Garmin, Polar and Suunto all have them, depending on the watch.  At this time, I think the watches that might be best for all three disciplines would include the Suunto T-series and some of the Polar RS’s.

One thing to keep in mind is that each of these watches have their strengths and weaknesses.  I have a 405 and the one thing holding me back from jumping ship to the Suunto T6 today is the fact that the Suunto footpod will not measure running cadence while running, while the Garmin 405 and the Polar’s with their footpods do.  I'm still trying to decide.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Watch Suggestions Rss Feed