Brigantine, New Jersey
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 11s
Overall Rank = 181/447
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/17
Pre-race routine:

Same routine as always. Get up, eat, go.
Event warmup:

I started swimming a tiny bit before the race on my last race and it seemed to calm my nerves a little bit, so I did the same today. Little did I know that my actual swim start would be canceled 3 minutes into the swim because of lightening. I was immediately disappointed as they were calling us out of the water. After I got out, we found out that they were postponing it about an hour because it was a fast moving storm. So I had two seperate swims for my warmup
Swim
  • 07m 27s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt REALLY REALLY good in the water for this race. I didn't feel like I was in a panic during any part of the swim. I did experience my first real hard kick to the head - more like my eye, which caused my goggle over my right eye to get stuck inside the bottom of my eye socket (I'm sure I didn't explain that right) preventing me to see out of that eye until I figured out what was going on. At first I thought that girl kicked the eyesight right out of me. After a minor adjustment I was back on track.
What would you do differently?:

I would do absolutely nothing differently. I stopped briefly about 2 times, one to fix my goggle and the other to just make a sharp turn around the buoy. I couldn't expect a better time. It was about an eight minute improvement over my swim time last year when I did this race, which was my first tri. I can't complain. AND, I felt good - Most improtant.
Transition 1
  • 02m 20s
Bike
  • 33m 28s
  • 11 miles
  • 19.72 mile/hr
Comments:

This course was flat. I liked it. It was a little windy at times and I could really feel the difference while riding. I'm not going to complain, though, because it was a very flat course. I felt really good overall during the bike. About a 1/4 mile into the bike I said "on your left" to a girl who was riding left, thinking to myself "why the F is she riding so far to the left." I pass her and continue straight on the road to only realize that I JUST missed the slight left I was just supposed to take. No wonder she was riding left. Here I am wondering why she's riding like an idiot and I'm the one that is the actual idiot missing the turn. That makes two races I made wrong/missed turns.

hmmm. I'm not sure. I had some mental issues during this ride regarding how hard my effort was going to be. Sometime I thought that I was going to go all out as hard as I could since my run was going to hurt anyway because of my bad hamstring, then I would think, "no Carrie, be conservative you may have a good run." I kept changing my mind. I should have just went ALL OUT the entire 11 miles. So, next time...ride more think less.
Transition 2
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

I took my time here. I have no idea why. Bob and Fred were at my transition spot on the side and Bob was trying to take pictures. I threw my bike shoe at him, since I didn't need it anymore ;)

I can probably cut some time off here by running a little faster and not dilly dallying so much.
Run
  • 36m 13s
  • 4 miles
  • 09m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew the run was going to suck. I didn't run all week. My hamstring was killing me. I have a 1/2IM coming up in two weeks so I was just testing it out. It was pretty rough today. I did ok considering and I certainly should have been running slower.

Under these circumstances I should have run slower. Had I ran slower I still would have done much better than I did last year.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some water and waited for race results to be posted.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

hamstring injury.

Event comments:

This is a great race. It's very informal and it would be great for anyone doing a triathlon for the first time. They handled the storm situation wonderfully. I'm so glad it wasn't canceled and they simply postponed it. The race has been around for over 20 years so I'm sure they've worked out a lot kinks over the years. I really enjoy this race and hope to do it again next year.

Last updated: 2008-07-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:27 | 437 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 210/447
Performance: Good
Suit: wetsuit
Course: 3 right turns. No current. There was a current for the first swim start but not for the second.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:20
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:33:28 | 11 miles | 19.72 mile/hr
Overall: 126/447
Wind: Some
Course: FLAT with some turns that made you slow down a little. The roads were a little wet from the storm.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:42
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:36:13 | 04 miles | 09m 03s  min/mile
Overall: 264/447
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-02 6:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa
Subject: Brigantine Triathlon

2008-08-02 6:59 PM
in reply to: #1578209

User image

Master
NJ
Subject: RE: Brigantine Triathlon
great job on the swim especially!! I love this race!! So flat, casual and layed back. Great race!
2008-08-03 12:27 PM

User image

Elite
Seems like an awesome race. Great job out there.
2008-08-03 12:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horsham, PA
Great race....excellent job kicking a** on the swim!!!!  I wish I could have been there to see you!  You are ready for the 1/2IM!

Edited by starrlinda 2008-08-03 12:56 PM
2008-08-04 11:01 AM

User image

Great job Carrie! Awesome swim. I'm sorry I missed this race. I guess there were no jellyfish since you didn't mention them.
2008-08-04 11:38 AM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Good job and rest that hammy.

2008-08-06 8:23 PM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Wow, super job!  It must have been a mental effort to go back out again after being called back in on the swim.  And then you did fabulously!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Brigantine Triathlon Rss Feed