Ironman North America
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 12h 53m 56s
Overall Rank = 1127/2345
Age Group = M4044
Age Group Rank = 215/398
Pre-race routine:

Got to bed at a decent hour, probably 730ish. Sleep seemed to be a bit broken up, waking about every 90-120minutes throughout the night. Got up at 330 feeling pretty fresh though. Had some coffee, two toast with PB, and a banana. Cleansing routine worked well as usual, and out the door around 430, for the drive from Wilmington to Lake Placid, expecting major traffic back-up (remembering Timberman last year)and wanting to beat as much traffic as possible. Major difference between Timberman and IMLP however is that most people stay right in LP where almost NOBODY stays at the Lake for TImberman, so traffic was essentially nil. Went to my friend Jeff's motel and arrived about 30minutes earlier than we planned and he was still in bed! Good for him! We dragged him oob and walked down to the transition because I needed to drop off my bags, then down to the lake. Lost Jeff, but met up with Rob and a couple of BT people by the lake.
Event warmup:

none
Swim
  • 1h 14m 19s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

Went into the water a little too early probably but treading water was about as good of a warm up as I was going to get. Initially, found an open spot halfway betweed the pier and the shore on the right and about 20yards behind the line. Maybe a little forward than I deserve, but it seemed so open, I stayed there. When the one minute warning was given, the lake got real crowded all of a sudden and I found myself in a pretty tight area. Oh well, too late now. When the gun went off, I went out about 80-85%. I swam parallel to the buoys until the last buoy was in sight, and then started to make my way over to it.

It got really congested at this poin. Alot of people were sort of treading water around the buoy due to the large mass of bodies. I had planned on a similar strategy on the way back, get about 20-30 yards from the buoys and just swim a parallel line. I started my way back and noticed alot more contact and much less friendly contact. I was on one persons feet and they actually mule kicked at me! What an ASS! (pun intended). I was getting pushed from behind and if the swimmer in front of me slowed, and I didnt get around them fast enough, which was most often the case, the swimmers behind me were starting to get on me. I could feel my legs start to sink and really had to push it to build up the momentum again, but I did NOT mule-kick once!

About 1/3 of the way back, I found out why theere was so much more contact. I looked down and I was directly over the line! Whoa! Didnt expect to see that during the race at all, but since I was there, I decided to own it. Anybody trying to swim into me was rejected firmly but, gently.

Finished the first loop, got to shore and back in again. Felt good! REady to do it again! THis time, I will stay on the line from the start. The contact continued and was constant, but for the most part it was tolerable. I did get hit in the face and ended up with a little bit of a fat lip. It was bleeding a little according to Rhonda when I came out of the water. Also, someone actually pulled my zipper down!! I started taking on waterBIG TIME!!. I initially tried to swim through it because the cool water felt good, but my arms were getting so water logged that it had to be affecting my performance. After rounding the buoys again, I swam toward the center a little and tread water while I zipped back up and adjusted my goggles which were a little crooked and taking on small amts of water. The safety boat pointed me to a kayak, but I just gave them the "ok" signal, and got back to work. I got back on the line and stayed there the rest of the way back without any further major complications.
What would you do differently?:

Dont know. I think it went about as well as I could possibly do.
Transition 1
  • 09m 51s
Comments:

I was initially hesitant to use the strippers because at previous races, having my suit stripped resulted in MAJOR, PAINFUL, cramps in my calfs. I ran through most of the strippers, but at the end, a hugh guy stopped me and insisted on helping. I thought "what the hell" Laid down and didnt move a muscle. they ripped the suit off, and then the big guy put his arms out and pulled me right up! NO effort on my part and not so much as a twinge of discomfort. Lesson here: Dont try to help the strippers by scissor kicking while they pull on the wetsuit.

When I got back up I noticed something ominous. It was raining...hard. hmmm...this is unexpected.
Bike
  • 7h 04m 9s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.84 mile/hr
Comments:

What can I say? I survived this at least! ;)
I purchased the PowerTap because I knew that I needed to learn to conserve legs and hit the run, which is my strength, with as much chance for success as possible. When I review my power file, I was amazed at how poorly I did! I was about 15watts too high on my first lap than I should have been and too much variability! Burning matches etc.
The rain just continued and by this time everybody is aware of the conditions, so I wont go into it further. I was also amazed at how much urine I was producing and as the race went on I tried to remedy this by cutting down on the fluids, but unfortunately, alot of my nutrition was in liquid form, so that ment I had to switch that up. I dropped my bananas on the first loop. Tried to get by with fig newtons, but that was a pain, because they were getting so wet!

On the second loop, I lost my figs immediately! I really couldnt tolerate any more carbo pro, so I switched to gels at the aid stations.
By mile 80, I was ready to hang it up. I must have averaged about 12mph the last 30miles and fought a major mind game battle. "why am I doing this?" "what is the point?" "what is the big deal if I dnf?" etc, etc, etc. By the end of the bike, I was pretty spent and cold, but when I got off the bike, I sort of convinced myself that running would warm me up and that it would be better than the bike. (yeah, right)

need to focus better on my power strategy. think i am going back to using gels on the bike for nutrition, and will probably just live off the course in future IM and HIM's
Transition 2
  • 05m 34s
Comments:

A volunteer was ready to take my bike at transition which is sweet! Got to my stuff and refused to sit down while I put my shoes on. Put on some dry socks and running shoes and was off, for better or worse, I was finally on the run!

who knows?
Run
  • 4h 20m 6s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

It says alot when I run a 10 minute pace in a marathon! I also says alot when that 10 minute pace was 139th out of 707 in my AG! There was ALOT of walking going on out there, and I was not immune to the temptation to walk a little longer than the aid stations, and the hills. I have never hated out and backs so much as I did at IMLP! Both seemed to go on forever. If I have one criticism of this race, it is that they dont have the creativity to put us on a loop at least. You spend the entire marathon either out, or back. and when you are near the end of each turnaround, it seems to take forever to get to it! UGGGHHH! HATE out and backs!!!!

I was miserable, but at least the thought of quitting had subsided significantly. It was painful and walking the aid stations was sweet relief. I wish I didnt have to walk, but I wouldnt have survived without those breaks. It was also a struggle the last 10 miles to keep my head up and back straight. I was whipped..

One funny thing though. When I hit the last mile. I was invigorated somehow. I must have run about a 8minute pace which seemed speedy to what I had done. When I had visual on the downtown I was cruising and may have even hit sub-8. Weak run overall, but strong finish!

See bike notes above. I need to fix the bike piece before I can even evaluate my IM run.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my finishers shirt, medal, pics, then hit the food tents. More to escape the rain than to eat. I tried to muscle down some pizza, but it wasnt happening. I tried a sub, same problem.. I sipped some water and just flopped into a chair behind one of the food tables for about 15 minutes, then I walked toward tranisiton. I felt a warm breeze as I walked past the massage tent, so I went inside. I sat down because it was so warn and cozy there. I usually dont bother with a post race massage, because I dont like the wait, but I wasnt going anywhere soon, so i signed up. Got a massage. the best part was they but a thick blanket over me ahhhhhh.

After the massage, I limped back to the changing tent with my dry clothes. I immediatly felt much better as soon as I stripped out of my wet tri clothes. Sat naked for a few moments and then got my dry clothes on. Walked out of transition, picked up my bike and bags and started for the hotel. Ran into Rhonda on the way out of tranision. Sweet moment with the wife and then she took my bike from me and we walked out.
Went back about an hour later to find others. Ran into Rob R.(huskyboy), eventually found Jeff and also ran into Rob Smith and a couple of other Maine people.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

appropriate pacing

Event comments:

Now that the pain has nearly subsided. I look back with fondness of this day. The weather made it too difficult for me to enjoy the process, but I am glad I did.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-08-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:14:19 | 4224 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 214/398
Overall: 1212/2345
Performance: Good
Suit: full
Course: rectangular. two loops.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 09:51
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
07:04:09 | 112 miles | 15.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 305/398
Overall: 1608/2345
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Two loops
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 05:34
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
04:20:06 | 26.2 miles | 09m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 139/398
Overall: 707/2345
Performance: Bad
Course: Two seperate out and backs, which each need to be run twice!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-08-02 7:42 PM

User image

Expert
Portland
Subject: Ironman USA Lake Placid

2008-08-04 12:24 PM
in reply to: #1578251

User image

Master
Maine
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid

Great job for your first IM Mike - you''l be ready to tear Florida apart this fall.

I don't think I was that nervous, but I look scared $hitless in the pre-swim picture!

2008-08-04 3:17 PM
in reply to: #1578251

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid
Thanks for the write up. We all learn by these details.

I'm impressed with how you dealt with everything and imagine you triathlon confidence is way up now.

Congratulations again.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman USA Lake Placid Rss Feed