General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Eldora Xterra Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-02 10:33 PM

Veteran
Longmont, Colorado
Subject: Eldora Xterra Tri
Did anyone run the Xterra today?  This was my first "trail run" and i certainly was not expecting the terrain.  Is this typical for a trail course (unstable rocks scree-fields, fallen trees)?  I have two very sore ankles and observed many falls today.  I'd appreciate any feedback on whether this was expected and is the norm.  If it is, I may stick to dirt roads and other less hazardous runs.  Thanks, Cam.

2008-08-03 8:13 AM
in reply to: #1578374

User image

Veteran
Rocky Mountains
Subject: RE: Eldora Xterra Tri

Hey Cam.  Don't get too discouraged.  I did not race the course yeterday because I sprained my foot at the Crested Butte Race the week before(and I'm planning on doing Beaver Creek)... on the run... with  3 miles to go, while running over a rock section. 

Rest assured the run (Crested Butte) covered some great rocky and rooty sections.  I'm inclined to think that Buffalo Creek was somewhat more difficult with some tough scrambles.  I had not run that section, but have ridden it several times during MSC XC Races.  I'd say it is a blend of Buff Creek and CB.

In the end, the terrain from yesterday is "typical and expected."  Actually, it may even be a bit easier than some of the other courses out there.  Some courses have a small rope scramble, under trees, through tunnels, big water crossings, and of course rocks, scree, roots, etc...

Like I said, don't let it get to ya.  This is XTERRA after all.  PEr the norm with ankle injuries, rest and ice.  By the way...congratualtions... you are an XTERRA triathlete!

2008-08-04 12:25 PM
in reply to: #1578533

User image

Master
Colorado
Cam, did you do the tri or run the 10k race before the xterra tri started?  I am a little surprised by your comments if you came off the technical bike section and only thought the run was rough.
2008-08-04 4:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Rocky Mountains

Hey Cam,

Just to help with a new update.... Beaver Creek is not very technical as far as rocks and roots.  But it does have some serious climbing.  Definitelly a bit more mello in comparision to Crested Butte and Eldo.  Hope you make it out next week.

2008-08-04 9:49 PM

User image

Regular

I didn't do it this year, but did the tri there last year.  And for what it's worth it was a freakin tough course!  And when I talked to the people who ran the 10K they looked at me with disbelief in their eyes saying how freakin hard it was.  I overheard some of the elites from the Boulder area say that calling that a trail run was a generous - at best.

As for the tri (bike part especially) I walked my bike with dozens of others.  One of whom had recently completed an ironman - and her exact quote was "this is - BY FAR - the toughest thing that I've ever done"

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Eldora Xterra Tri Rss Feed